Profile for sengoku > Reviews

Paranoia Agent: Volume 4 - Bayonara Marom [DVD]
Paranoia Agent: Volume 4 - Bayonara Marom [DVD]
Dvd ~ Satoshi Kon

5.0 out of 5 stars incredible - essential viewing, 12 April 2011
This series really is fantastic its challenging, thought provoking, dark, funny and inventive throughout. The show never gets stale or predictable which is quite stunning when it starts of as a seemingly low key series involving the investigation into a violent street punk attacking random members of public with a baseball bat.

The other reviewer was spot-on regarding the quality of the writing and of the animation. The late, great Satoshi Kon could have conceivably made this as a live action series though I think Kon's use of the animated medium adds a lot to the story and atmosphere that live action cannot match, especially in regard to the many grotesque and creepy characters you meet throughout the series.

If your new to anime or feel it may be throw-away or low brow then this series is highly recommended. Paranoia Agent really is high quality stuff, I would say it stands up very well to some of the great live action TV shows like The Soprano's, The Wire and the like. basically if you like intelligent 'HBO quality' TV shows then please give this series a try and I'm sure you'll be impressed.

Note - I generally prefer to watch the subtitled versions of non english language movies and TV shows so I don't know how well its been dubbed into english - sorry

Summer Wars [DVD]
Summer Wars [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sumiko Fuji

5.0 out of 5 stars a brilliant movie, 12 April 2011
This review is from: Summer Wars [DVD] (DVD)
I'm a big anime fan and really enjoyed Summer Wars. It was a very well written and often touching family saga as well as a nice sci-fi/fantasy movie. The vision of the online world (OZ) was stunning and great fun (though I am biased since I love the murakami 'superflat' style it was based on) the 'real world' was also very well done, comparable to Studio Ghibli's output (whom the director Mamoru Hosoda had some connection with at sometime I believe). The characters were great especially the extended family, the movie stays just the right side of slushy which is a relief, it was often funny, genuinely moving and the action sequences were great.

Another exciting thing about Summer Wars is that it is only the directors second major feature (as far as I know) so there is the potential for plenty more equally well made and well done anime movies to come. This is great news as the legendary Miyazaki must be getting close to retiring by now but with Mamoru Hosoda and the very talented Makoto Shinkai hitting their strides I'm hopeful anime features like Summer Wars have a very bright future.

Essential viewing for anime fans

Highly recommended if your new to anime or are not a huge anime fan but enjoyed well known Ghibli movies like Howls Moving Castle, Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke or if you simply want to watch a fantastic family movie then you should definitely give Summer Wars a go

P.S I've only watched the subtitled version so I don't what the English dub is like, sorry

Kick-Ass [DVD] [2010]
Kick-Ass [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Aaron Johnson
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic entertainment, 7 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Kick-Ass [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I really enjoyed the original comic book version and in my opinion the movie is even better. expect very bad language, ultra violence, slapstick violence, some very funny characters and expect to enjoy every second of it, especially nic cage in 'big daddy' mode riffing adam west and the brilliantly foul mouthed hit-girl.

one minor quibble, not to spoil things for those who have yet to see it, but there is one thing in the last sequence of the film that didn't really fit for me and it involved kick ass and a piece of technology (you'll know it when you see it), it didn't really fit with the vibe of the film in my opinion but certainly didn't spoil things for me.

to conclude, kick ass is one of the best action movies i've seen in ages and probably my second favourite comic book movie (after dark knight)