Profile for Barry Ross > Reviews

Content by Barry Ross

Barry Ross (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
KAVAJ iPad Air leather case cover "Berlin" for the new Apple iPad Air cognac brown - genuine leather with stand-up feature
Offered by KAVAJ

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit for the iPad Air, 23 Dec 2013
I had read the reviews and watched the promo videos but was still surprised as to just how snug the fit was on my iPad Air. It is a perfect fit. Moving from the larger and heavier iPad2 and Retina models I actually felt the Air is a little too small and light. A bit fragile perhaps. With the Berlin now fitted on my Air it feels solid and protected. I have a better purchase of it while holding it or passing it to someone. The brown leather looks terrific. I am delighted with it. Well done KAVAJ.

j5create JUD200 - j5Create Newport Station
j5create JUD200 - j5Create Newport Station
Offered by LambdaTek ComponentShop

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 12 Dec 2013
I have a JUD200 for use on an ASUS Ultra UX31E. All aspects work as expected to far except the headphone jack. Presumably this is because the UX31E headphone jack is operational and so is overriding it. I have not looked at this further, merely mention it in passing as it is not an issue for me. The UX31E does not have a jack for an external microphone, just the built-in mono microphone. The microphone jack on the JUD200 works as expected and is one of the reasons I have the JUD200. The extra USB ports are handy. The network connection port works as well freeing up a USB port on the UX31.

You press a button on the end of the JUD200 to turn on the device. You can download the drivers from their website. The docking station can sit under the back edge of the notebook to raise it off the desk and so does not take up any extra desk space.

Please note I have also reviewed the JUD500, giving it only one star due to the problems it caused me. My advice is to resist being up-sold to that model if all you need is what the JUD200 offers.

j5create JUD500 - j5Create Ultra Station
j5create JUD500 - j5Create Ultra Station
Offered by DB Technology srl

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware!, 12 Dec 2013
I purchased a JUD500 model for use with an ASUS Ultra UX31E. It sounded great to be able to add in another monitor and so on but the serious lag I experienced immediately after installing the software and drivers rendered it useless. I was not able to get rid of the lag even after uninstalling the software and rebooting. I tried everything I could think of and eventually did a restore of the operating system, which solved the issue for me but a wasted of a number of hours. I returned the JUD500.

On the Amazon US site the only positive reviews at the moment seem to be coming from people who have only written positive reviews for all the jScreate models. If the product is any god why do they need to use a shill to give fake positive reviews?

Please note the simpler JUD200 did not cause the above issue, presumably because it does not have the wormhole 'technology' built in.

BestDealUK GGS Self-adhesive LCD Glass Screen Protector for SONY NEX-6 Camera
BestDealUK GGS Self-adhesive LCD Glass Screen Protector for SONY NEX-6 Camera

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits a NEX 6 very well., 5 Dec 2013
This fits my NEX 6 very well and I can forget it is there, which to me says it is unobtrusive. I hope never to actually test its protective capability but it is reassuring to have it fitted. The glass fitted quite easily and came with sufficient instructions to ensure a secure fit. I imagine that it will be an added protection to the screen. I give it a conservative four stars.

Lens Adapter For Minolta MD MC lens to Sony E-Mount NEX-VG10 NEX-7 NEX-C3 NEX-5 DC104
Offered by XCSOURCE

5.0 out of 5 stars Works very well with Sony NEX 6 and the Sony A7, 5 Dec 2013
This is the first MD to NEX adaptor I have purchased. It fits perfectly on my NEX 6 and A7 as well as all my MD lenses. It does what it is supposed to do. Recommended.

IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover PC-DVD (UK VERSION)
IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover PC-DVD (UK VERSION)

5.0 out of 5 stars In 2013 with recent updates this is like a new flight sim, 3 Aug 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I'm writing this review based on buying it in 2013 and then taking the effort to patch it with the free patches available from the good people at TEAM FUSION. I did this via the ATAG Forum and Servers. Search for theairtacticalassaultgroup and you will find it. ATAG is a very friendly and helpful community. I became interested after seeing a youtube post that used the latest patch at the time. Look up 'IL2 Cliffs of Dover - Flying with Team Fusion Patch' to see it. There has been a further patch since and another due soon. Also check out 'Blenheim Attack - - - - By Søren Dalsgaard'. My humble offering is called 'Blenheim IV skip bombing' and shows my practice runs following advice from Torian, DRock and others from the ATAG Forum. Cliffs of Dover takes effort to get working optimally and the online play and community is where it shines. The single player missions do not compare to flying with and against real people, coupled with sensible team chat via teamspeak.

You will need a good PC with a suitable video card and a decent joystick. TrackIR is a real bonus but not essential. This is not a casual, arcade style sim, rather it will reward those interested and willing to put in the effort.

Nikon FT-1 Mount Adapter
Nikon FT-1 Mount Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing adaptor - converts a 70-300mm lens into a 189 to 810mm, 27 Feb 2013
The FT1 adaptor is an amazing item. It converts my Nikon VR 70-300mm lens into a 189-810mm VR lens when used on my V1. The lens still has the vibration reduction and it's auto focus abilities with no loss of image quality. I get excellent results hand held with this combination. For the price it is a real bargain. Have you priced what a DSLR lens with a reach to 800mm would cost? I have and it is not pretty. Then there is the weight to consider. For airshows or birding the Nikon 1 series with the FT1 and various full size Nikon lenses is an excellent alternative. The FT1 has no glass so does not degrade images and the clever electronic contacts transmit all the necessary information so that the lens works properly with the camera body. The adapter supports AF-I and AF-S lenses, and it supports VR on those lenses where the lens has that feature. The Nikon websites have lens compatibility guides. Search for 'Mount Adaptor FT1'. Due to weight considerations, with a lens like the 70-300mm fitted it is recommended to use the tripod adaptor on the FT1 for mounting on a tripod or camera strap, rather than the tripod mount on the camera body. You may need to have a firmware update on the V1 to use the FT1. This is a free update from Nikon. The Nikon 1 V1 is supported from firmware version A 1.10/B 1.10, Nikon 1 J1 from firmware version A 1.10/B 1.10 according to Nikon. They also say Auto focus may be less precise S: Shutter-priority auto, A: Aperture-priority auto, or M: Manual is selected for Exposure mode. I use P: Program mode with excellent results. BTW, 'FT1' stands for 'F to 1'. That is, Nikon F mount to Nikon 1 adaptor.

Domke F-803 Camera Satchel - Olive
Domke F-803 Camera Satchel - Olive

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely proportioned satchel for mirrorless or small DSLR, 22 Feb 2013
I was after a satchel style camera bag for my Nikon V1 and lenses. I imagine it would suit other mirrorless cameras of similar size as well. This version of the Domke F803 is the Olive canvas version which is somewhat less expensive than the waxed 'Ruggedwear' offering but has the same dimensions and features. It comes with one single padded divider for the central section, which when used effectively dividing the main compartment into 3 parts. It can be easily removed if not required. My kit includes the nifty Nikon FT1 mount converter that I use with the fairly large 70-300mm VR lens on the Nikon V1. The padded insert accomodates the 70-300mm lens with the FT1 fitted very well but without the hood. It will also just take it with the Nikon V1 attached as well. The shoulder strap is only just long enough when fully extended to go over my head and across the chest. I am six foot tall and it would have been better if there was some extra length in the shoulder strap. The in-build padding in the satchel is minimal. There is a thin amount at the bottom and edges with none on the front and back. I have used some small National Geographic padded pouches to provide what I think is sufficent padding for the V1 and spare kit lens at each side of the central section. An iPad can be put intot he extrea rear sleeve and there are two zippered section on the outside and two under the cover. I find the metal latch to work quite well.

For the selling price I would have expected a longer length in the strap and more padding options. However. I like the look of this satchel and it suits my kit combination very well.

Positives:
Well made, canvas satchel.
Takes a Nikon V1 comfortably with either the 10-30mm or 30-110mm lens fitted in one section; a 70-300mm lens with FT1 adaptor fitted in the central padded compartment (without the lens hood) and with space for the other CX lens in the third section. There is room to spare in two of the three sections.
Integrated shoulder strap that when fully extended just fits a 6 foot man (over the head and across the chest) Could have been more generous.
Proportions are good. That is, it is not too deep in relation to its height and depth, for a satchel style bag.
Effective grip sections woven into the shoulder strap.
Looks good.
Will offer reasonable protection to the contents in normal use.

Negatives:
Minimal padding at the bottom. I have used some extra padding there so that I can feel comfortable with this aspect.
No padding on the front and back. This is probably less important than the bottom and helps keep the proportions looking better so is a double edged sword.
The shoulder strap is probably just long enough fully extended for a six foot man. It would have been better with some extra length and may not suit someone taller than six feet.
Cheap looking movable/removable one compartment padded insert, but it does the job.

The problem with most camera bags is they are quite deep (as in the height, width and 'depth' part) but this one looks less like a camera bag than many. I like the olive green canvas look which should wear well and age nicely as it fades.

A Domke F-901 Pouch in matching olive could be added to this satchel for extra storage.

Overall it is a rather good looking camera bag worthy of four stars. It loses a star due to the fairly high price and a few shortcomings as listed.

National Geographic Horizontal Pouch for Camera
National Geographic Horizontal Pouch for Camera

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made. Useful for small lens or a point and shoot., 19 Feb 2013
The National Geographic Bag NG A1222 Africa Series Horizontal Camera Pouch is well made, well padded and fits on a belt using a Velcro secured sleeve. These pouches are quite small and are useful for small lens and other accessories or perhaps a point and shoot type camera. Check the interior dimensions will accommodate your camera. The interior dimensions are 4.5" x 1.9" x 3.1" (11.5cm x 5.0cm x 8.0cm). I use it for the quite small Nikon 1 10-30mm or 30-110mm lenses for which it has ample room.

Seven Men From Now [DVD] [1956]
Seven Men From Now [DVD] [1956]
Dvd ~ Randolph Scott

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid and enjoyable Westen, 28 Dec 2012
This is a solid and enjoyable Westen with good performances by all the key players. The story is enjoyable with good visuals. Well worth a watch.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4