Profile for J. A. Van Garde > Reviews

Content by J. A. Van Garde

J. A. Van Garde (The Hague - Holland)

The Heroes
The Heroes
by Joe Abercrombie BA

5.0 out of 5 stars Abercrombie did it again, 17 Feb. 2011
This review is from: The Heroes (Hardcover)
O how enjoyed his previous books. They are not just good, they are written by a genius. His characters jump out of the pages and get you by the throat. They are funny, twisted and you can almost smell them. It's good that you don't because most of them haven't seen a bath for ages.

Written by a genius because not a lot of writers get away with a story like 'The Heroes'. It's about just one big battle wich take place in only a few days. And how to keep that interesting? Not a problem for Abercrombie. And you can feel when you are reading the book that he had a lot of fun writing it. Like his other books it has a loose feel about it, as if the book just wrote itself. Some reviewer said there was something missing, well there is absolutely not. It's just right. Anyhing more or less could have ruined the story. The balance is perfect. Enough humor, enough action and lots of blood and gore. Love the characters (or hate them, but that's just as good). Heroes en cowards, no good site & no bad site. Just a very good story you realy don't wanna mis.

I'm looking forward to the next one by Abercrombie.
I hope he'll stick to the characters of the North & the Union.
Wouldn't want to mis them either.

VandeGarde
Holland

Orbus (Spatterjay 3)
Orbus (Spatterjay 3)
by Neal Asher

5.0 out of 5 stars Orbus, 10 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Orbus (Spatterjay 3) (Hardcover)
Skinner was the first book I read from Neal Asher. Didn't know what to expect but the reviews were good and I was curious. Loved it! So different from everything I've ever read. Spatterjay is a great setting for a marvelous story with fantastic characters. The second Spatterjay book, The voyage of the Sable Keech, was just as good. Another story on the same planet but with a different feel to it. Another 5 stars.

Orbus is one of the old captains from Spatterjay en this story takes place in space. Again a totally different feel to the story but it's so good. Neal Asher is a genius. His characters are bizarre en the action in these books very well put down. Every chapter is a cliff-hanger. No way they can make these books into a movie, it's just not possible. It's too big, just as his aliens, The Prador. And then there are these (war)drones with their own a.i. personalities. One of them is a main character, Sniper. Very inventive and almost indestructible. And I can go on and on with praising these books. Read it if you have half a brain, you won't be disappointed.

Settlers 7 (PC DVD)
Settlers 7 (PC DVD)
Offered by SC-WHOLESALE

5.0 out of 5 stars Good game despite the bad reviews, 20 April 2010
This review is from: Settlers 7 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I've played the first three games of the Settlers and I loved it. When I saw that number 7 was coming out I realy wanted to play it. Then I saw all the bad reviews and I was in doubt.

But all the bad reviews where about DRM and that you should always be online. And there were some server problems.Then I thought 'I've been online for five years now and never had big problems'. And server problems in the beginning is normal. So I bought the game.

I have been playing the game now for nine hours straight. This Settlers game is good, no, it's realy realy good. It's funny, it's hard and addictive. I am going to have a great time for the next few months playing this game. And I'm not worried about the online thing. What about it? If your connection is no good blame your provider or switch to a provider who can guarantee a good connection. Don't blame Ubisoft, they made a hell of a game!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2010 12:53 PM BST

Kell's Legend (Clockwork Vampire, Book 1) (Clockwork Vampire Chronicles)
Kell's Legend (Clockwork Vampire, Book 1) (Clockwork Vampire Chronicles)
by Andy Remic

5.0 out of 5 stars From a Dutch Gemmell fan, 6 Dec. 2009
I bought the book after reading the reviews here. I finished a hour ago.
Loved it! Of course there are similarities with Gemmels work. But hey! Remic is inspired by Gemmel. Gemmel is the best, Remic is a good second. Let's keep the man happy so he can write us more clockwork vampire stories!

Rebel Fay (Noble Dead)
Rebel Fay (Noble Dead)
by Barb Hendee
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good book in a thrilling serie, 22 April 2008
Barb and J.C. Hendee did it again. I'm a spoiled reader and only do a short review for the best. Well, this serie is one of the few I like best. The characters and the story will take you on a ride you wanna do again when you'll come to the finish. That's what I want from a book, and the Hendee's will give it to you. I hope the serie will not end for a long time!

Chainfire (Sword of Truth 9)
Chainfire (Sword of Truth 9)
by Terry Goodkind

5.0 out of 5 stars A honest review without the usual complaining, 8 Mar. 2007
Chainfire is a good book. Sure, not as good as the first three. But why keep on naggin' about it and keep comparing it to those. It will spoil all of the fun and it will not do the book justice. I can understand that when you read a view books each year it's harder to warm up to it. But when you read a lot of books (for me it's about 60 books each year) it's nice to come back to the world of Richard & Kahlan now and again.

Goodkind's writing and style are still the same. The story is good and the characters so familair after all these years. It will be a sad day when I finish the last book of the serie. The end of the adventures of Richard and his friends. So while they are still doin' there thing, stop complaining and enjoy it! I would give it a 4 star rating, but I'll put 1 extra in to compensate for all the complaining.

I hope Goodkind will start a new serie, because he's gifted and should bring out a book each year. And I don't care if it's not as good as his first three books. You can not expect that from him. But there is a big difference between a 5 star and a 1 star rating. I expect one thing from Goodkind, that he will not write a 3 star rating book. He didn't disapointed me so far.

Aeon Flux The Movie [DVD]
Aeon Flux The Movie [DVD]
Dvd ~ Charlize Theron
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Different, but that doesn't mean it's a bad movie, 9 July 2006
This review is from: Aeon Flux The Movie [DVD] (DVD)
You will have to pay attention, but the story is actualy very good. So are the effects, acting and the way they filmed the movie. I admit, it's not for everyone. Meaning that it is not the average action/sf movie (although there is a lot of action here, and they captured it great). But we already have a lot of those. I found this movie very refreshing. It reminded me a little bit of the Matrix movies, but the feel is different. I don't agree with the bad reviews here, and the movie doesn't deserve this. Just because some people here don't understand the story, or are too lazy to think while watching a movie, doesn't mean it's bad. The scenery is great, and you can tell that they worked very hard to make the future tech in this movie something different than the average you see in films. If you are a sf reader and like sf movies, this one will make you very happy. And that is a promise.

50 in 50
50 in 50
by Harry Harrison

5.0 out of 5 stars I've been waiting for this one!, 13 Aug. 2001
This review is from: 50 in 50 (Hardcover)
This book is a verry good collection of Harry Harrison stories. 50 years of writing and in this book are only the short stories. And each one of them makes you think, laugh and/or wonder. Mr. Harrison is a talented writer and I believe a very special person. I can say that I've read almost all of his books. All these ideas.....wow!...

Stainless Steel Rat Joins the Circus (Stainless Steel Rat Books)
Stainless Steel Rat Joins the Circus (Stainless Steel Rat Books)
by Harry Harrison
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars A book of the Rat can't be bad!, 7 Jan. 2001
...I wanted to give the new Rat book 4 stars, but after reading the other reviews I wish I could give it 10 stars!
Sure, we all know Jim. And when you've read all of his other adventures you're not surprised anymore at all of his talents. But that is not the point. This book is a lot of fun. It's not a masterpiece like a lot of his other books...but hey!.....it's still a Harry Harrison book! And that means it can't be bad. And you never ever tell someone with his life experience and all those fantastic books he wrote for us to bow his head in shame!...

Beyond The Blue Moon
Beyond The Blue Moon
by Simon R. Green

4.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Green is still one of the best......, 12 Nov. 2000
This review is from: Beyond The Blue Moon (Hardcover)
'Blue Moon Rising' 'Blood and Honour' and 'Down Among The Dead Men' are one of the best fantasy books I've ever read. And I've read a lot of them. The Hawk & Fisher Books never gave me the same feeling although they're the main characters in Blue Moon Rising. 'Beyond the Blue Moon' is a mix of all these books and I liked it. Not a 5 star liking but still good and original stuff. Again all the characters are great, and what I like most of Greens books...he makes me laugh. Even when things are looking really bad for the heroes, there's always place for humor.
Don't miss the Deathstalker series! Mr. Greens Masterpiece!