Profile for G. Clacher > Reviews

Content by G. Clacher

G. Clacher (Fife, Scotland)

BestDealUK LCD Battery Grip For Nikon D300/D300S/D700 SLR Digital Camera
BestDealUK LCD Battery Grip For Nikon D300/D300S/D700 SLR Digital Camera
Offered by iTekLife Global
Price: 40.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Meike MK- D300SL, 26 Feb 2013
This is a Chinese clone for the Nikon MB-D10 battery grip which costs around four times as much. I wanted it for my D700 for the extra battery life, the extra buttons - especially for shooting portrait, and I like bulk! It also helps balance the camera with my 80-200mm fitted. You get an MLL3 remote (5 on ebay) chucked in but it doesn't work with the D700 (it will do for my D90 however!)
The unit fitted easily onto my camera and the finish was a pretty good match for the D700 grip. There are 2 cradles, one for 8 x AA batteries (for 8fps) and the other for the standard EN-EL3 battery or the EN-EL4 if you want 8fps without 8 AAs.
There is an LCD unit to the rear which can be illuminated if you're into night shoots. It can be used as a timer or clock / date. Only annoying thing is that everytime you disconnect (if you want to use 2 batteries and take the one in the camera out or in) the display is lost and resets to zero - maybe a little CR battery might have been an option if it had to have an LCD screen?
Early days of course but all works well including the additional focus / shutter and focus point joy stick. At 49 it a no brainer!!

Large Nylon Heavy-Duty Casters for an Office Chair (with 65mm Wheels & 11mm Pin) - Pack of 5

5.0 out of 5 stars Large Nylon Heavy Duty Castors, 25 July 2012
The feeble castors on my lovely office chairs had started to perish one by one and both chairs were unusable. A quick Google led me to these little beauties which popped in perfectly. They are obviously a heavier duty job than the originals and look as though they will last as long as the rest of the seat. After realising the first set fitted I quickly ordered another. I have to mention Chellgrove here - the price is amazing, the communication great and on both occasions my castors arrived the next day....great product from a very efficient company!

Konig Satfinder Satellite Installation Tool
Konig Satfinder Satellite Installation Tool
Price: 8.04

1.0 out of 5 stars Konig Satfinder, 30 May 2012
Having used "satfinders" before I was extremely disappointed when I opened this box. First of all the item is not ready for use as it requires the purchase or manufacture of a co-axial "jumper cable." Other devices I've used have typically come with a compass and a jumper cable. I don't know if there is an audible sensor as the instructions do not mention this. The item may well work OK and I could have forgiven all - considering the price - if it was ready to use out of the box as all items should be!

Nikon D90 Digital SLR Camera with 18-105mm VR Lens Kit (12.3MP) 3 inch LCD
Nikon D90 Digital SLR Camera with 18-105mm VR Lens Kit (12.3MP) 3 inch LCD

4.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D90 with 18-105mm, 7 Sep 2009
Having moved up from a Canon EOS 350d, which was a superb first DSLR, the Nikon is a different beastie altogether. The Nikon is solidly built and the layout of buttons is superb, the bigger screen with Liveview option is excellent for reviewing video and photos. The lens does a job with good sharpness for a kit lens and lovely colour rendition. Only two complaints - my Photoshop version doesn't cater for Nikon's RAW file version NEFF, although I understand there are ways around this, at the moment it's a pain. There is no RAW "tweaking" software with the camera. Other disappointment was the video, slightly jumpy for moving shots and awkward to zoom, focus and frame at the same time. I have to say I am improving in this department with practice and I'm sure with time and a choice of lenses I will be producing a mini movie marvel!
I was torn between loyalty to Canon and moving up to the 500d (and taking my lenses!) or trying my first Nikon with the D90. I have no regrets at all after a month with the Nikon, it feels like an old friend. If there's a bigger bang for your buck out there I don't care - I love my Nikon!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2010 6:22 PM GMT