Profile for C. R. Markley > Reviews

Content by C. R. Markley

C. R. Markley (Auckland New Zealand)

Page: 1 | 2
Living Language Korean, Complete Edition: Beginner Through Advanced Course, Including Coursebooks, Audio CDs, and Online Learning

5.0 out of 5 stars Initial Impression, 16 Oct 2014
This is still just my initial impression as I have only listened to CD1 once and had a quick glance at the books, however the package is very impressive. When I picked up the package after it was delivered I was very surprised how substanial it is. The books look to be well produced and the audio is clear.
All I have to do now is knucle down and actually study.

The Seventh Seal [DVD] [1957]
The Seventh Seal [DVD] [1957]
Dvd ~ Max von Sydow

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not enjoy this at all, 21 Aug 2013
I have been trying to watch some of the so called movie classics in recent years.
Some I have loved (The Seven Smarai) and some I am afraid that I have just not been able to conect with.
This is one of those. To me this is a very arty farty, self indulgent piece of very boring cinema.
I was sad after I watched it because it is supposed to be so great and ground breaking etc
If you are strongly in the arthouse crowd I think you will enjoy this, but not if you want something intersting to happen.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2014 9:32 PM BST

The Fall [DVD]
The Fall [DVD]
Dvd ~ Catinca Untaru

2.0 out of 5 stars The other 2* reviews have it about right, 20 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Fall [DVD] (DVD)
I am not going to so much review this as to say that having read through the reviews already on this film that I mostly agree with what is said in the 2* reviews.
Also that it only deserves 2*. There were elements that I liked but they were mostly drowned out

Unbreakable (2 Disc Collectors Edition) [DVD] [2000]
Unbreakable (2 Disc Collectors Edition) [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Bruce Willis
Offered by Factory Shop Deals

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Sixth Sense, 20 Aug 2013
Sixth Sence was more successful and it was a very good film.
For me though this is M Night Shyamalan's best film. I do not highly rate any of his other films.
The pacing is slow for todays world, but it works for this movie and helps to make this film different from the usual action trash. I like those as also when well done, but not every film should be like that. Admittedly for those with short attention spans this film is doomed.
The story is good and the acting is appropriate. some reviewers seem not to be able to see the story. They may be the ones with attention span deficit.
Sixth Sense deserves being watched 2 or 3 times. This film has layers that are worth many more repeat viewings.
I might prefer to give this film 4.5*, but there are to many mindless negative reviews to even think of rounding down so 5* it is

His Dark Materials: Gift Edition including all three novels: Northern Light, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass
by Philip Pullman

2.0 out of 5 stars Starts well but gets lost in the authors negativity, 16 Aug 2013
I liked the first book. The second felt like it had something wrong with it. The inner rotteness of its core was obvious in the third.
As far as the writing goes I had no problems. I like fantasy and this series had a lot of interesting ideas, however from the first it seemed to be unnecessarily dark (maybe negative would be more accurate), but this did seem appropriate in setting a powerful environment.
The second book became more dark (negative) but I still liked it. All it needed really was a strong conclussion.
Unfortunately the third book was the weakest and fully exposed that the author wrote these books (or at least got stuck in it as he went) with a very stong personal agenda. He is clearly VERY anti religion (which doesn't really sit all that well with fantasy), but what destroyed the last book is that he seemed to forget that the story has to come first, not the agenda. The moral of the whole series seems to be "There is no hope and everything is futile in the end".
It could have been great, but went the other way instead.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 23, 2013 8:56 PM BST

Dan Dare - Pilot of the Future : 10th Anniversary Imprint of the 1st Deluxe Collector's Edition
by Mike Higgs

5.0 out of 5 stars A great volume and a great seller, 25 April 2013
Nothing special to say. this is very well produced and if you like classic comics then this is 1 of the best.
The seller was very good also

Dredd (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray)
Dredd (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray)
Dvd ~ Karl Urban
Offered by Magic Movies Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Almost no story, 25 Mar 2013
Not great. Could have been a lot better.The special effects are not great and Karl Urban seems to even lack the ability to play a robot like character such as Dredd. I certainly would worry if the character had to actually do some acting. I sold my disc as soon as I watched it. Definitely not worth a second look

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo / The Girl who Played with Fire / The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest  (Extended Versions) [DVD]
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo / The Girl who Played with Fire / The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Extended Versions) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Noomi Rapace

5.0 out of 5 stars Usually not my sort of thing, 16 Jan 2013
An excellent trilogy. I was very surprised how capivating the whole story was. The sweds have created a quite magical story. If it had not been done right it would have been simply brutal and horrible. I have watched the movies in both english and the swedish language (with subtitles). Both added something. I got a little more information from the english track, but the swedish track creates a better atmosphere. I think the acting was good as well. I would say that you can't go wrong with this

Rio/ Ice Age 3 Double Pack (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy)
Rio/ Ice Age 3 Double Pack (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy)
Dvd ~ Jesse Eisenberg

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre films, 20 Nov 2012
I wanted this, just to get a few 3d films. They are ok but that is about all. Rio is the better of the 2. Ice Age 3d is very generic.

The Taming Of The Shrew [DVD] [2001]
The Taming Of The Shrew [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Elizabeth Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Shakespeare that I know of., 20 Nov 2012
This film is beautifully presented. Old fashioned values but a fun story. I remembered seeing this in B&W on TV a very long time ago and I thought that it was good. I am pleased to say that after another viewing I still hold that opinion

Page: 1 | 2