Profile for benthepianoman > Reviews

Content by benthepianoman

"benthepianoman"

A Tale of Three Kings: A Study in Brokenness (Inspirational)
A Tale of Three Kings: A Study in Brokenness (Inspirational)
by Gene Edwards

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd give this is 6 if I could....!, 25 Aug. 2005
I once heard a song by a funky Christian band in which there was a (seemingly) throw-away line that went like this: "And the truth is that I need to be broken, more than I need a break".
This powerful little volume packs quite a few punches in the hour or so it takes to read, but they are the kind of blows that the Holy Spirit uses to wrought the inward changes He desires so that we are more and more conformed to the image of the Son.
Mr Edwards' style in this book is absolutely engaging: akin to that of a grandfather telling a story before bedtime, there are regular breaks in the narrative where he draws out the meaning and importance of particular points in the lives of Saul, David and Absalom (viz the 3 Kings of the title). I cannot recommend this book enough, although it will possibly only really speak to those who have been taken some way down the path to maturity....

Sit, Walk, Stand
Sit, Walk, Stand
by Watchman Nee

5.0 out of 5 stars But it's just so simple.....!, 25 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Sit, Walk, Stand (Paperback)
Have you as a Christian ever been encouraged to go strong for God, only to have the sneaking suspicion, after some time, that burn-out is just around the corner? Didn't the Lord say He came to ease our burden and lead us by the still waters? In his simplistic yet gently challenging style, Watchman Nee expands upon three passages in Ephesians where these tiny words ("Sit, Walk, Stand") are found, and, inspired by the Holy Spirit (in my opinion), sheds tremendous light for all believers. Read this: it will only take an hour or so, but you will never be the same afterwards. And once you've digested this, move onto "The Normal Christian Life"!