Profile for Blake Paine > Reviews

Rapesco, Heavy Duty Punch. 4400 Hole Punch
Offered by Caboodle Office Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars A great piece of kit, 18 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a substantial piece of equipment which is perfect for frequent use and looks like it will last for years.

I often produce indexes running to 80 sheets of A4 paper and for the first time, I'm now able to punch them ready to fit into ring binders in one go. It needs a reasonably firm press on the handle, but it's not at all difficult to operate.

You're not going to keep it at the side of your desk as it's big and heavy, but as long as you've got somewhere suitable to keep it, if you often have thick documents to punch, you won't go wrong with this.

An excellent office tool and I'm happy to give it five stars.

Land-Rover the Formative Years 1947-1967: The Real Story Behind the Worlds Most Versatile Vehicle
by John Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book, 19 Jun 2014
If you're interested in Land Rovers from before 1968, this is the book to get.

The author says it isn't a book to read from cover to cover, more to dip in to, and that's how I've approached it. Nowhere else can you find this level of information about the development and history of the vehicles, along with numerous very rare photographs and documents. I find it engrossing each time I sit down to look at it.

It must have been a real labour of love, and I thoroughly recommend it.

If Amazon can't sell you a copy, it's available at the time of writing for £30.00, including P&P in the UK (and the delivery was very fast in my case), from the Land Rover Series One Club (or LRSOC). They have a website to place your order on too.

I hope this is useful to you.

NOCO G7200UK Genius Smart Battery Charger
NOCO G7200UK Genius Smart Battery Charger

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good..., 16 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've found this charger easy to use and it seems pretty robust too. I normally use a CTEK 5.0 which has been brilliant, but the NOCO looks like it will prove to be a great back up for that. The five year guarantee is very reassuring as well.

NOCO G3500UK Genius Smart Battery Charger
NOCO G3500UK Genius Smart Battery Charger

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks promising, but time will tell..., 2 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As with most of the other Vine reviewers, I received this charger free and have not had an opportunity to test it on a duff battery yet.

I already have a CTEK 5.0 and have found this to be brilliant, although it has mislead me about how good a battery was on one occasion (it told me it was fully charged and okay, but it died after one day back on the car). I'm hoping the NOCO will not make the same error.

It will be interesting to see how the two compare, but all I can offer at present is this useless review to keep Amazon Vine happy.

I'll update it when I know more, of course.

NOCO G1100UK Genius Smart Battery Charger
NOCO G1100UK Genius Smart Battery Charger

5.0 out of 5 stars Time will tell..., 2 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I'll update it when I know more, of course.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2014 12:41 PM BST

McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2014 - 1 User - 1 Year (PC)
McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2014 - 1 User - 1 Year (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets better each year, 27 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used McAfee to protect my computer for years and although I remember how intrusive it used to be, I've come to rely on it.

Nowadays, it just gets on with the job and is pretty much invisible. I sometimes hear it when it's performing its scheduled full scans as the guts of the PC make a bit of a 'whirr', but most of the time I forget it's there.

I'll continue to use it and I'm sure if you give it a try, you'll be as pleased with it as I am.

Subaru Impreza : La vague bleue
Subaru Impreza : La vague bleue
by Vincent Roussel

4.0 out of 5 stars Big 'coffee table' book, in French, 18 Mar 2014
This is the most recent book about the legendary Subaru Impreza. It has chapters detailing the history of Subaru, the road cars and the rallying years too.

All but the very early pictures are full colour, well reproduced and, given the size of the book (taller and wider than A4), mostly large. Many of them will be familiar to anyone with a large collection of books on the subject, but there are also some previously unseen ones.

At the time of writing, it's an expensive book and, if like me, you don't speak 'Francais', I'd think about buying some of the others available in English before this one, hence I've given it four stars. However, it's beautiful to look at and thoroughly recommended if the photos are your main interest, or you're fluent, or French of course.

Tefal 3-Piece Ingenio Induction Trial Offer
Tefal 3-Piece Ingenio Induction Trial Offer

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality, 26 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's rather difficult to review a frying pan given the basic nature of them, but these new Tefal ones are something far better than we've previously ever had in our kitchen.

They feel very substantial, and although it's something I've not considered before, the ability to remove the handle is a very clever idea. Not only can you put them under the grill if you want to finish off the top side of something you're cooking and aren't into flipping it over (onto the floor...), but it means you can remove it on a crowded hob to avoid the pan being knocked off. And of course you can put them in the oven too.

The coating of Tefal pans is legendary, and these seem as though they will still be going strong in many years, although I'll have to update this review periodically, as ours are still too new to know for sure if this is the case.

If you're in the market for a top quality pair of frying pans, and can manage the fairly hefty price tag (although Amazon Vine let me have these free of course), I'm sure you'll be as pleased as we are with these ones.

Weetabix Oatybars Strawberry 23 g (Pack of 5)
Weetabix Oatybars Strawberry 23 g (Pack of 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and tasty, 1 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I received these free from the Amazon Vine programme.

They're nicely oaty, not too sweet, a reasonable size for a snack and not too 'naughty' if you're watching your weight.

They've only lasted five minutes in our household which means they're very nice and I'd recommend you try them. I'll certainly buy more of them in future.

Beasts from the East: Japans Ultimate Performance Cars
Beasts from the East: Japans Ultimate Performance Cars
by Paul Guinness

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but only goes up to 2005, 9 Oct 2013
I collect books about Subaru Imprezas, and bought this as there are some included in it.

It covers performance cars from pretty much all of the Japanese manufacturers, predominantly from the 1980s to the mid 2000s, although there are a few earlier cars too, eg the Datsun 240Z and Honda S800.

All the cars included are photographed in full colour and given a couple of pages or more each.

Sadly, the rare Nissan Almera GTi is criminally missed out I'm afraid. You can always search for the splendid spoof 'Sweeney' ("The All New Nissan Almera - Shut Up!") and 'Professionals' ("Tell me about It") adverts for them from 1996 on YouTube if you fancy a laugh though.

It's worth noting that the 2005 edition (reviewed here) is a hardback and has an Impreza WR1 amongst others on the front of the dust jacket, and the 2010 edition is a paperback and has a yellow 350Z on the front cover. Other than that, both books are completely identical. Guess who bought both, thinking the 2010 reprint would have been revised to that date - it hasn't been.

Neither book includes the latest R35 GT-R, or anything else after late 2005.

Worth buying? As an overview of the subject, certainly. But there are better marque specific books out there if you're only interested in one particular model.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12