Profile for namakemono > Reviews

Razorpit Razor Blade Sharpener
Offered by Gadget Grotto
Price: 13.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth a punt!, 14 Nov 2012
I was as uncertain as anyone else when I purchased this a year ago, but at the price (higher than it is now) I figured I'd only blow the money somewhere else if I didn't buy it.

And what an investment that turned out to be!

Until that point I'd been buying the overpriced replacement heads for reasonably-priced razor sets on special at Sainsburys - getting through them pretty quickly too, in spite of the fact I'm seldom motivated to shave more than 3 times a week.

However, since buying the razor pit I've only had to change heads ONCE - and that was only because the last one had near enough reached its full lifespan by the time I made the purchase! My current one has kept going for a year now. Pretty good, even if I don't shave every day!

As a result of buying this thing, I've saved a lot of money I'd have blown on unnecessary replacement heads. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

But, do I work for the company that makes this product? Who is who on this customer review scheme? I suppose there's no way of knowing! However, this thing is now under 12, which you can probably afford to take a chance on. Good luck!

Numbers Lucent
Numbers Lucent

3.0 out of 5 stars No companion piece, just jetsom, 5 Feb 2009
This review is from: Numbers Lucent (Audio CD)
I will relisten to this EP in light of the previous review, but my first few listens haven't yielded even a fraction of my counterpart reviewer's satisfaction. Yes it's 'rave', but for me it smacks of recording bin doodlings than returning to one's roots.

Among Squarepusher's earlier efforts (Vic Acid EP for instance) there were some seriously pounding tracks that really ran with the idea of pushing the 'dance' music envelope. Often these sat comfortably beside Jenkinson's more fusion-jazz muso meditations (equally brilliant). To me, these and 'rave by numbers' (forgive the pun) workouts undo all that good work for what seems like an exercise in nostalgia.

The recent album, Just a Souvenir, offers a concise summary of what Squarepusher does, and it's well presented. No surprises but no turds either. Just a set of tight, electro-jazzrock pieces at a reasonable price. Not a lot in common with these six tracks, but I'd suggest you try there before you come here. That is, unless you're tempted by the previous review.

I dunno, maybe I'm way off the mark, but having been treated to so many innovative moments by the 'Pusher I start to get impatient when I sense water being trodden. You may feel differently; I hope so.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2013 12:47 AM GMT