Profile for Mr. R. E. Giles > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. E. Giles

Mr. R. E. Giles

2.7-Inch TFT DUAL CAMERA CAR DVR GPS LOGGER G-SENSOR VEHICLE SYNCHRONOUS RECORDER
Offered by E-PASSION(SHIPPING FROM HK 14-21 Business Day To Uk)
Price: 24.99

3.0 out of 5 stars GOOD VALUE FOR MONEY CAR CAMERA, 30 Aug 2013
For the money, this is a good value product. It came with a 4GB SD card but this was useless as it was only a class 4 card and the instructions say and SD card you use must be class 6 or better!! I bought a 32GB class 10 card. When first inserted, the card needs formatting, and this also installs the camera software including the PC review software. When I switched on the camera, its menu was in Russian and I had to experiment a bit to change it to English!!
The front and back cameras both work well. The screen is OK, a little dark to easily see in the car. The sound volume seems low but just about OK to hear. The GPS works just now and again. When fitting the camera, in my opinion it is best to fit it near the rear view mirror so as not to obstruct the view, and to record the best overall view both forward and back. If you have a small windscreen, this could be a problem. Another problem is that there is no quick release so whenever you wish to remove the SD card, you have to end up removing everything ( I find it impossible to remove the SD card unless I do this! )!! The PC software works very easily, you just insert the card and you can review the video. The video quality is quite good, although the cameras take some time to react to any changes to lighting conditions, so sometimes the recording is a bit dark. I have not used it at night. The cameras automatically start recording when either the SD card is inserted or when power is supplied to the unit. This means for example it starts when you switch on the car engine but also when you charge the camera!! There is a button you can press to stop recording. It comes with a USB cable to charge on a PC but I found you can also use a moble phone or sat nav charger as long as the cable connection is the same.
Overall, it gives me some piece of mind when driving in case of an accident etc by being able to show some general evidence of the circumstances and who was to blaim but thats about it, don't expect lots of detail like registration numbers etc!. However, for the money its OK and I am not sure whether spending alot more money will gain anything!

Apple iPad 4 WiFi + Cellular 64GB with Retina display (White)
Apple iPad 4 WiFi + Cellular 64GB with Retina display (White)
Offered by iHD Lounge
Price: 519.99

5.0 out of 5 stars APPLE IPAD 4, 22 April 2013
Although apple products are expensive, you tend to get what you pay for, and I find the IPAD 4 a great product. It was a replacement for an IPAD 1 and I have not been disappointed. Buying a second hand product was a gamble but I was saving over 150!!
The actual product as received matched the description and I was pleased with the supplier in all respects.
It came with the balance of the Apple years warranty, which I will probably extend with Apple Care to another 2 years just before this warranty expires.
Just a few warnings on the cellular side of things:
1. Do not expect your normal mobile sim card to work in it, you will need a special Mobile Broadband sim, either on contract or PAYG. 3 Mobile PAYG sims can be bought cheap on the Amazon site.
2. Most if not all the network providers now make it difficult:
a. To tether with other equipment like a laptop or mobile phone- they can see the tethering and will eventually block it unless you are on a contract that allows tethering.
b. They know which bit of equipment firstly uses the sim and often they do not allow you to move the sim between devices and again will block this eventually, therefore for example I have a 3 contract for mobile broadband using a WIFI dongle. 3 will now block me from using the sim in the IPAD!! I have therefore cancelled the contract and bought 1 month PAYG ( which works out cheaper than a contract! ) sims so I can use say 1 in my IPAD and one on my laptop using the WIFI dongle.

Asus G74SX 17.3 inch Laptop with Bag, Mouse, Headset and 3D glasses (Intel Core i7 2670QM 2.20GHz, RAM 8GB, HDD 1.5TB, Blu-ray combo, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Windows 7 Ultimate)

4.0 out of 5 stars ASUS G74SX GAMING LAPTOP, 27 Aug 2012
My review is split into 2 sections:
1. The supplier: Amazon Warehouse.
Pre ordering advice and support could have been better. The item was listed as a "used" item by Amazon through their Warehouse, presumably a return. It was listed as "as new". I wanted more information before buying such as was it complete, boxed, with all the bits and packaging, had it been used, had it been registered with Asus, what was the actual model number ( to confirm it WAS the item it should be per the description ). I contacted Amazon support by email and although they were speedy and tried to help, they could not provide any further information on it other than confirming it was covered by their guarantees, could be returned if not as described or if it had any issues, and had not been registered with Asus.
I took a chance since the price was alot cheaper than the new price. I ordered on Friday the 3rd August, paid more for Saturday delivery ( for some reason this option was cheaper than next day delivery!!!! ). It arrived before 1pm on Saturday- Excellent! On examination everything was fine except: the original internal packaging was missing ( replaced by bubblewrap ) and the laptop functioned OK EXCEPT the blu ray player would not play films in 3D. I contacted Asus and did some research, and eventually tracked the problem to a software not hardware issue. I think Amazon had "restored" the computer incorrectly. The issue is the Blu Ray software, Roxio Cine Player and its relationship with the NVidia Drivers. Update with the Asus NVidia Drivers and it does not work properly! You must either use the original Asus Nvidia drivers or use the latest drivers on the Nvidia web site!! Everything now works. Although not quite "as new" because of the above issues, these were not enough for me to want to return the item considering what I paid. Note- on the Warhouse prices- these seem to change now and then if they do not sell an item- the price on my laptop fell quite alot before I bought it!! However, I have recently been thinking of an SSD and on the one I was interested in, the Warehouse price actually went UP over time to more than the original Amazon "new" price!!!
2. The product: On paper the Alienware M17x 3D gaming laptop has a better spec, if you pay the extra for a better graphics card, but having had onhands experience with both, I prefer the Asus- it seems more stable and quieter and seems better built. I had to return the Alienware. The GTX 560M graphics card is a reasonable card for 3D gaming, but the laptop could do with a better card, as on the Asus G75 series. 3D gaming puts more demand on the graphics as it is basically doubling up on memory useage to create the 3D. Normally the amount of dedicated graphics memory ( in this case 3GB ) is not as important as the spec of the graphics card, but I believe for 3D gaming it does help to have so much memory. I do find you still have to turn down some of the game settings on the newer games to play them smoothly. If you want to play games on the highest settings, do NOT buy a laptop!! The Asus support is very good, they usually respond to an email within 24 hours. The screen, keyboard and touchpad are fine, access to the hard drives and 2 of the 4 memory slots is easy ( not so on the older G73!!!!! ), but access to the other 2 ram slots is under the keyboard so I am leaving those well alone, althogh I would like to add another 8GB of ram!!!! The USB connectors on the right hand side are in my view in the wrong place, right at the front so the leads get in the way of the external mouse. I tend to use the left hand ports. The reason for all the ports being on the sides is that the whole of the back is taken up with the fans needed to cool the laptop. The laptop is very heavy ( much heavier than my old G53JW ), and only just fits in the provided Asus ruck sack. The provided NVidia glasses, the headset, and gaming mouse are all fine. There are 2 mechanical WD Scorpio Black hard drives which are adequate but the laptop could do with faster ones in my view, Seagate Momentus Hybrid drives would have been better. I keep thinking of getting an SSD drive, but my understanding is that things load quicker but there are many who say an SSD does not help with game play that much. Overall, I like the laptop for what I got it for- 3D gaming and playing 3D Blu Rays ( the laptop will even allow more than 1 pair of 3D glasses to be used so its not confined to 1 person, but get Nvidia glasses not cheap copies which do not work- you do not need a complete "kit" since the laptop has a built in emitter, just a set of Nvidia glasses ). I would not have bought it at the full list price. I think for what you get and the fact that the G75 is now out, someone should look to pay no more that about 1,100 or so.

LiteOn ETAU108-02 8x USB 2.0 Slim Top-Load External DVDRW - Black
LiteOn ETAU108-02 8x USB 2.0 Slim Top-Load External DVDRW - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT EXTERNAL DVDRW, 7 July 2011
This is the second one I have bought.
It is very lightweight, easy to install and use.
Have had no problems with it.
It means I can buy a lightweight laptop with no optical drive, and on the odd occassion when required, use this.
The only thing I would say is:
Could do with a longer USB lead.
If taking it on trips etc, keep it well packaged to avoid damage and the gloss black finish shows finger prints etc.

Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway (PC)
Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway (PC)
Offered by PlayZeit
Price: 6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best!!, 12 July 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Really good game, and it will play on Windows 7, unlike "Earned in Blood".
Pitty there is not a follow up game!
Excellent 1st person game+squad control= more demanding than just blasting every Jerry that gets in the way!!!!!!!!!!

Brothers In Arms: Earned In Blood (PC DVD)
Brothers In Arms: Earned In Blood (PC DVD)
Offered by media-4-u
Price: 3.91

3.0 out of 5 stars BROTHERS IN ARMS EARNED IN BLOOD, 12 July 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Good game, but be careful- will NOT play on Windows 7!!
No problems with the supplier.

Soldiers Heroes of world war II - PC - UK
Soldiers Heroes of world war II - PC - UK
Offered by The GameMonkey
Price: 1.97

3.0 out of 5 stars SOLDIERS- THE UNREALISTIC ODDS, 20 July 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I love Medal of Honor, Company of Heroes etc so I thought I would try this
one.
Its a strange game, I quite like it in a way but the odds are unrealistically stacked against you. Often there is just a handful of your men against a whole army of Germans!! I just do not understand why
the developers have done this, it would be much more interesting
if it felt more like the real thing and the two sides were more evenly
matched. Still for a few quid I had some fun!!!

Capital Gains Tax Guide 2007-8
Capital Gains Tax Guide 2007-8
by Kevin Walton
Price: 99.95

4.0 out of 5 stars TOLLEY'S CAPITAL GAINS TAX GUIDE, 20 July 2009
I must admit that Tolley's books are not my favourite reference books,
they all seem to be badly laid out so its often difficult to find what
you are looking for quickly. However there is no real alternative!!
I buy on Amazon since I'm unwilling to pay over 100 a book!!!!!!

Company Of Heroes: Tales of Valor (PC)
Company Of Heroes: Tales of Valor (PC)

2.0 out of 5 stars TOO SHORT AND TOO EASY, 11 May 2009
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
A poor shadow of the others in the series, plus it has now modified my other Company of Heroes games so that I have to insert 2 discs every time I want to play any of the games- very annoying!!!!!!!
Poor value for money.