Profile for Linda Valentine > Reviews

Content by Linda Valentine

Linda Valentine

AVerMedia C875 (GL710) - Live Gamer Portable (LGP) - HD Game Capture for PC/PS3 & 4/Wii U/Xbox360 and one up to 1080p, 60Mbps

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome little unit, cannot be beaten at this price., 7 Jan. 2014
Being an IT manager, I'm always highly sceptical of things that promise the earth, but don't cost a lot.

I feared that this little thing might be one of those cases, but I was very wrong.

I've got quite a bit of experience of using various capture solutions, both software and hardware over the last few years and I can quite confidently say that this is the best I've ever used.

Although designed for gamers, I actually wanted this for podcasting / streaming / broadcasting which it is equally at home with. The various audio and video options mean that I can record very high quality video and record audio from my professional audio interface at the same time, either embedded into the video, or as a separate MP3 - a superb feature.

The fact that you can capture ANY HDMI source with this thing, with or without a PC, makes for some incredibly interesting combinations. Plug in a ChromeCast / Roku / Apple TV and suddenly you have a hardware DVR for instance.

I do also have an Xbox 360 and not surprisingly this thing is superb at either capturing or streaming content straight from the console - with a laptop attached this is especially cool as you can see a repeat of what is being captured on the screen which gives you a little bit more confidence that things are being recorded properly.

The box does feel a little cheap and some of the graphics are a bit cheesy, but the use of multi-coloured LED's and patterns is a superb idea which makes sure you always know what's going on. For instance when in PC mode, if you initiate a recording, the unit "breathes" with a pulsing red glow. If you set it to streaming, pulses blue instead. If you get an error (running out of space for instance) it flashes between red and blue so you know straight away.

All in all I would very much recommend this to anyone. I'm not easily impressed, but as you can probably tell this thing has impressed me greatly!