Profile for Mr. P. Lamdin > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. Lamdin

Mr. P. Lamdin "phil1_atr"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
XCSOURCE® MPU100 Universal L Quick Release Plate Bracket For Canon 5D Mark III 600D Nikon D7000 D7100 D800 Camera Benro Arca Swiss LF376
Offered by XCSOURCE

3.0 out of 5 stars There's a snag....., 20 May 2015
Nicely made and inexpensive but......sadly too narrow to fit RRS 40 ball head so be warned, don't assume it will fit all ArcaSwiss type heads. Shame.....

Amisa Organic Spelt Sponge Fingers 200g x 1
Amisa Organic Spelt Sponge Fingers 200g x 1

1.0 out of 5 stars Not GF, 5 Dec. 2014
The problem is that the search engine showed this as being gluten free when it isn't (and in fairness to the supplier that information is available in the small print). But I have done several searches under eg "GF sponge fingers" and every time this product comes up. So it got fed to the birds...

Think Tank Camera Strap Black & Grey V2.0
Think Tank Camera Strap Black & Grey V2.0
Offered by HarrisonCameras

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice item, 22 Dec. 2013
Nicely made camera strap suitable for more weighty compacts or possibly CSC's. Non slip covering on strap with good length allows camera to sit round the neck all day and be ready to use immediately. I am using this in preference to Black Rapid case/strap for my Nikon P7000 which for this user was a bit too fiddely and radical compared to a simple well designed strap. However, loses a star because of high price for what is after all, just a strap!

The Social Network (2-Disc Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2011]
The Social Network (2-Disc Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Jesse Eisenberg
Offered by Qoolist

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, just disappointing - I expected more....., 17 Feb. 2011
Well, I expected a lot more - Oscar/BAFTA nominee, great reviews - but the film fell rather flat for me. I found I could neither sympathise with the main characters nor with their situation. I am not a computer techie; I don't even have a facebook account (then neither does Eisenberg who plays Zuckerberg) but I didn't expect that to matter - neither am I particularly interested in ballet, but that didn't stop me being riveted by The Black Swan and I had expected - hoped - a lack of insight into the world of the software developer/computer programmer wouldn't matter here either.

The film fell short on three counts:

The characters - with the possible exception of Eduardo Saverin, I could not feel empathy with any of the main characters. As Zuckerberg's girlfriend says at the beginning of the film, it's not that he's a nerd, it's that he's an a**hole. I realize that this is a challenging character to portray but it is hard to feel anything for him; and it's not helped by the thought that everyone else (with the exception of Eduardo) is at least as unappealing. Justin Timberlake does a great portrayal of a truly slimy character; but then the two brother rowers, with whom we should really feel some sympathy, come across as a couple of upper class rich boys. Do I really care if Zuckerberg stole their idea? From the film, no I do not. But I read an article about them in the Sunday Times I think a while back that had me captivated.

Their world - the world of the computer techie is clearly a sad and lonely one if this is anything to go by; nicely depicted in one scene that contrasts Zuckerberg and his friends spending the evening on line creating a site for rating the college females, against "real life" students properly enjoying themselves at a party, with real, live girls. I know where I would rather be. Maybe it was just the portrayal in the film, but I found it really difficult to share the excitement in the facebook offices when they hit their 1 millionth user. Was that the most excited they could get? Blimey. I think that is down to the film rather than my intrinsic lack of interest in the subject. And I would also suggest, having seen a number of riveting courtroom dramas, that this is not one of them - the scenes in the mediation (note - not a court room; and I have been involved in a mediation and this was a pretty realistic portrayal) are pretty sterile except for one or two great moments when Zuckerberg rounds on his attackers with pithy comments to the effect that if you were so smart, you would have thought of facebook yourself - and of course he's right.

The sound - from the start I struggled to make out the dialogue - in many places background noise drowned out the conversation. Maybe this was intended, I can't say as I didn't see the film in the cinema, or maybe it's just the DVD (I don't have the BluRay I should say). If the intention was to replicate how difficult it is to have a conversation in a bar or nightclub, the sound engineer succeeded a little too well. I sat there straining to hear in places.

I don't mean to belittle facebook or its users and fans, for instance we can now see developing across the world situations where the power of the internet is seriously contributing to breaking down oppressive regimes. But the film makers just made it all seem rather dull. Again to refer to The Black Swan, the fact I have no great knowledge or particular interest in a subject really should not matter - the story telling and the characters should grip you anyway. But here, for me, they did not.

Nikon D70s/D70 (Magic Lantern Guide) (Magic Lantern Guides)
Nikon D70s/D70 (Magic Lantern Guide) (Magic Lantern Guides)
by Simon Stafford

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide to D70/S, 4 Feb. 2011
Simon Stafford is a Nikon buff who has produced guides for all of the Nikon DSLR's, this being for the D70/S which is an older DSLR, which I recently bought second hand. His guides are well laid out, being broken into logical sections, and very detailed - far more depth than the standard manual, as well as including hints/tips/suggestions that are generally very helpful. There is also a small, laminated reference card that can be pulled out and kept with your camera - more practical than keeping the guide or even the Nikon D70 manual in your pocket.

The guide also goes beyond the range of Nikon's manual for the camera by covering flash and lenses beyond the default 18-70 lens provided with the kit.

I found the book best approached by reading a particular section depending on what you want to read up on - it's not really a book to read from cover to cover.

I give it 4 not 5 stars for the following reasons which should not of themselves stop you buying this guide:

- presentation is a little dull with relatively few pictures, those there are being in black and white;
- he is a technical enthusiast, and doesn't quite have the style and panache of say Scott Kelby in his books (though you may feel given the purpose of the book, that would be unnecessary here);
- I sense that he is a film guy that has converted to digital (fair enough, so am I!) and that may have contributed to my feeling in a couple of places that I wasn't wholly convinced by his explanation and recommendation for camera set up - particularly around colour space and colour adjustments. I read another authors suggestions on the D70 (Ken Rockwell, his is all on line) that made much more sense to me. I would suggest if you are interested in making changes to the default settings for colour space and adjustments (saturation, hue) for the D70 or any camera you research the subject first (unless you're proficient in these things anyway, in which case I doff my hat!)

ps I have also used a D200 with Simon Staffords guide for that to hand and would have the same comments as above, so I think it is fairly safe to say all his guides are similarly useful for the relevant Nikon DSLR. Certainly if/when I buy another Nikon I will definitely seek out his guide.

The Secret in Their Eyes [DVD] [2009]
The Secret in Their Eyes [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Ricardo Darin
Offered by wantitcheaper

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking Foreign film....., 20 Jan. 2011
I start with a word of warning - I didn't catch this film first time round and so I hadn't appreciated this is a foreign film, in Spanish with English subtitles; this is not obvious as such from the DVD case or the advertising. This should not deter you but I admit to feeling a little deceived myself - for instance the case proclaims it as an Oscar winner but without making clear the Oscar was for best Foreign film. I don't mean that to sound prejudice, just bear in mind that you will need to follow sub titles and if that's likely to spoil your enjoyment, you have been warned. Sorry if that makes me seem shallow but reading subtitles does change the experience of watching a film, however good that film may be, in particular subtleties of language can be lost.

That doesn't seem to be the case here though. Even with sub titles, I found myself drawn to this film, the writing, directing and performances are excellent and this is more than just a thriller - it is a study of relationships, of lost opportunities and regret. I would give it 4 rather that 5 stars because good as this film is, the "thriller" part of it is not quite up there with the very best - the conclusion is shocking but not that suprising.

Another word of caution - there is a strong scene at the beginning where the victim is attacked and although it's not gratuitous, I think the film could have managed without it - and which would also have brought the rating below an 18.

The Prisoner Complete Series [DVD]
The Prisoner Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jim Caviezel

3.0 out of 5 stars A revisioning - not a remake, 29 May 2010
Yes, I am a fan of the original Prisoner BUT the very fact this was not presented as just a straight remake but a "revisioning" I thought was intriguing. So I tried my best to put all preconceptions to one side, sat back and watched......

I think it was in the 2nd episode, when No 6 was driving endlessly around endless dunes, that I found my eyes dropping and my wife saying to me - it's not actually very entertaining to watch, is it?

What do you mean, entertaining? Surely that's not the point of this kind of programme!!

Well actually yes, some of us do watch to be entertained - stimluated, intrigued, challenged yes, but all these things can be done in an entertaining format - if the production is good enough. On the weekend that the final episode of the new Prisoner was shown, we also had the final episode of Ashes to Ashes. One had us moving between sympathy, fright, doubt, anger, and sorrow at or for the main characters and their predicament; it had great settings; it was fast paced; it had some great acting; and it was thoroughly entertaining.

The other was the Prisoner ("revisioned").

I found I soon forgot this was called the Prisoner and watched it on its own merits - though I liked the occasional references to the original (eg the penny farthing in the nightclub, the titles of each episode). But unlike the original there was no action, no entertainment. The story moved incredibly slowly - there were only 6 episodes but it felt like there were 17. Jim Caviezel was as others have said incredibly wooden. While Ian Mckellen is incapable of a bad perfomance, he was not really sinister (except when eating cherry cake!!) Even the fantastic setting in Africa - search for Swapokmund and you'll see some fantastic images on line - I found wasted. There was no feeling - and here I am comparing with the original - of an individual being trapped and fighting to escape or vanquish his captors.

The best plot line involved the emotional entanglement of No 6 and two women in the Village, and back in his previous life.

There were some good moments, it was well produced, but it was not good enough and I suspect if it did not borrow the name of the original it would have sunk without trace. In fact I doubt in 30+ years time there will be many people who remember the Prisoner revisioned. Unlike the original....

The Christmas Pocket Bible: Every Christmas rule of thumb at your fingertips (Pocket Bibles)
by Guy Hobbs

5.0 out of 5 stars Great as either a stocking filler or gift to one's self!, 29 Nov. 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Guy and Steve Hobbs, two brothers, have served up a cracking little festive read in "The Christmas Pocket Bible". This nicely finished small hardback, is one of a series of "Pocket Bibles", others that include gardening, pregnancy, and cookery. Presumably aimed as a stocking filler, I would also recommend it as a worthwhile purchase for one's self, as a useful reference guide. It sets the right tone, being fun and avoiding any cynicism about Christmas which would have been an easy route to follow; but it avoids being bland or sweet and sickly. The Hobb's have done a cracking job of mixing individual facts, some interesting and some bizzare, with a warm, enthusiastic style for their subject; they also make some interesting social and historical comments on how Christmas has been celebrated down the ages. You can either "dip in" by just opening a page and picking up on a few facts, or read it front to back.

The book divides into the following chapters.......
1. Christmas Traditions;
8. Christmas In Context;
9. Tips for A Better Christmas;
10. Boxing Day;
11. New Year Celebrations

....which hopefully gives an idea of it's range.

So to give a flavour, it gives a history of how celebrating Christmas came to be effectively banned under Cromwell, and how even after the Monarchy was re-established it was largely due to the efforts of one man, a William Winstanley, that it was restored to its former glory; it tells how kissing under the mistletoe came into being; why ivy is "yang" to holly's "ying"; on more traditional lines it gives recipes for mince pies and last minute Christmas cakes; and as well as the words of famous Carols and songs, it gives a little history behind them. Did you know for instance that "We Wish You A Merrie Christmas" was sung by groups of drunken sometimes threatening carollers in the 16th century ("we won't go until we've got some..." takes on a new meaning in this context!). It provides the words of, as they say, "the most famous song to which no-one knows all the words..." - Auld Lang Syne - though I can't imagine many of us get through more than one of the five verses (plus chorus) on the big night! It lists all the White Christmases we have had in the UK since 1900 and where snow was recorded (your best bet is to go to Lerwick it seems); the top toys of Christmas in more recent times (remember queuing for Teletubbies in 1997 - I do! - or the shortage of "Tracey Island" in the early `90's?) Bringing things up to date, it suggests how to have a "green" Christmas and reminds us that it can be a season of excessive consumption, with UK households generating an extra 3 million tons of rubbish over the period. But thankfully, the Hobb's avoid being preachy or too opinionated on this or any other aspect of Christmas.

It runs to 165 pages of text and although there are no illustrations I can't claim I missed them. All in all, a great little book that got me in the Christmas spirit. Highly recommended!

Hoya 77mm Super HMC Pro-1 UV (O) Filter
Hoya 77mm Super HMC Pro-1 UV (O) Filter

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, but worth it for a good lens......., 10 Jun. 2009
Quality product. If one is going to put a filter on an expensive lens (here a Nikon 17-55) then it seems churlish to stick a cheap filter on the front - not that I wish to waste money but a £25 filter on this lens is false economy. Price also driven in part by it's size - 77mm. Prompt delivery.

Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 APO EX DG Macro II Lens For Nikon Digital & Film SLR Cameras

3.0 out of 5 stars Doubtful purchase...., 10 Jun. 2009
I should say I have returned this product, unused, as a result of - after I thought I'd done my research - reading two further reviews (not on Amazon, but on photo sites) that suggested variable quality and perfomance from this Sigma lens. In fairness, as far as I could tell, the construction and condition of this product was A1; delivery/service was fine; it's just that the two reviews I subsequently read made me wonder if this was really a trade up from the existing Nikkor 70-210 f4 lens I had or whether if I needed wider aperture I should save up for the Nikkor f2.8 which has blinding reviews. I suggest if considering this lens you review all the options first, including whether you need f2.8, what's available s/hand, and I'm afraid I probably did not. Plus there's an underlying feeling that you pay for what you get - there is a reason Nikkor lens attract a premium; but be warned it's a hefty one.
Comment Comments (15) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 9, 2012 3:38 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4