Profile for Mr. Raymond P. Godwin > Reviews

Content by Mr. Raymond P....

Mr. Raymond P. Godwin "Godi" (Lancashire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Hercules EZ Clutch Tripod Mic Stand
Hercules EZ Clutch Tripod Mic Stand
Offered by 1to1music
Price: 28.55

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique, quirky and great looking, 22 Jan 2014
No, the title of this review isn't referring to me, it's the stand. I've had one of these for a few years now, the thread on the nut which releases and tightens the boss and feet part against the stem has just worn out., so I'm looking to replace. The quick release arm is ideal for my vintage style sure retro mic. I love the yellow boss colour theme which extends to my matching speaker stands. It has a quirky squeeze and release height adjuster mechanism which makes it easy to change the height during a gig. The only drawback is that if you are carrying the stand and point it downwards, the inner shaft slides out at high speed, when tillted back upright it shoots back in potentially causing a blood blister risk if your fingers or hand are close to the joint. Despite that design flaw, I like the stand and will get a like for like replacement.

Round Ireland With A Fridge
Round Ireland With A Fridge
by Tony Hawks
Price: 6.39

1.0 out of 5 stars Think of a prefix for Hawks beginning with S., 1 Aug 2012
It's not even remotely funny. It made me wonder whether the author had reached a career point where his confidence was so high that he believed that anything he did would be hilarious. Hitch hiking with a fridge around Ireland caught the imagination of bored rural communities who, if we are to believe the author, were swept along on a tidal wave of enthusiasm and laughter by the very notion. If that's the case, no wonder Oscar Wilde emigrated. To say I was sorely disappointed by this book is an understatement, I found it patronising. Hawks has made himself comfortable at the table of Radio 4 comedy panel games (Auntie does get it wrong sometimes), where for me, he stands out as the least funny contributor so, I guess I have only my self to blame for buying a copy. The only positive I can draw from this is I learned how easy it is to manipulate local media who are only too hungry to fill their airtime or pages with anything, anything at all, that deviates from the norm. I usually give books I've read away to friends, but I have a reputation to keep. What next, a Tony hawks a tumble drier around Wales? - now THAT is funny...

City of Sin: London and Its Vices
City of Sin: London and Its Vices
by Catharine Arnold

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and informative., 1 Aug 2012
Overall, I enjoyed this book and would recommend it. Upsides are lots of interesting historical stories, facts and figures, downsides are it dwelled on certain periods a bit too much, and dare I say it, I was a bit bored in the middle. It does recover though and overall I am pleased I bought it.

Sightlines
Sightlines
by Kathleen Jamie
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite author, every bit as brilliant as Findings., 27 July 2012
This review is from: Sightlines (Paperback)
Findings and Sightlines by Kathleen Jamie articulate perfectly my own sense of wonder and curiosity for nature, history and life's mysteries in a way I never could. I find it reassuring that I'm not mad or alone in looking at the world in the way I do. Archaeology, natural history, poetry and reflection. Just perfect!

Below Manchester: Going Deeper Under the City
Below Manchester: Going Deeper Under the City
by Keith Warrender
Price: 17.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first book, but enjoyable all the same., 18 Mar 2010
It was nice to open the page and see my pal Fred Fielder (broadcaster and founder of the Orpheus Club) had written the introduction. The book is very enjoyable and there are lots more historical stories relating to tunnels under Manchester. My only criticism is that there is too much is dedicated to WWII bomb shelters for my liking leaving little room for the more mysterious and historical, nevertheless I'm still glad I bought it.

The Mammoth Book of True Hauntings
The Mammoth Book of True Hauntings
by Peter Haining
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, loads of reading., 18 Mar 2010
I really enjoyed this book. It does say on the front 'modern' hauntings, but then begins in 1900, I guess it's all relative where ghosts are concerned! Great value for money with masses of accounts to browse through and enjoy. I recommend it.

The Manchester Compendium: A Street-by-Street History of England's Greatest Industrial City
by Ed Glinert
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 11 Feb 2010
Loved this book. Broken into districts so you can dip in and out. I am stunned by the sheer number of poor reviews, has he upset someone who has taken the time to post a load of drivel. Looks like a conspiracy to me because it's a highly informative and well researched book. It's a great piece of work, highly recommeded.

The Most Haunted and Mysterious Places in Britain (Readers Digest)
The Most Haunted and Mysterious Places in Britain (Readers Digest)
by Reader's Digest
Price: 17.85

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing for the price, 11 Feb 2010
Just 2 pages dedicated to Manchester, Liverpool and Lancashire, unbelievable from a geographical perspective and a population one. A great swathe of the country brushed over. Loads of better books like this out there, don't waste your money.

Lancashire - Who Lies Beneath? (Local History)
Lancashire - Who Lies Beneath? (Local History)
by Elizabeth Ashworth
Price: 8.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice book but a lot of money for the size, 6 Dec 2009
I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it, but it feels too short for the price. Given there are millions of folk buried in Lancashire, doubling the thickness would have been easy and welcome. Perhaps the author might do that if they consider branching into other counties? Perhaps I'll do that myself : ) ....

All Roads Lead to Eastlands
All Roads Lead to Eastlands
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 27 Nov 2009
Standing high on Werneth Lowe
The city streets stretch out below
Welcome to the fabric of my life
These ancient hills and moorland heights
Silhouettes to the sunrise
The chimneys shadow's sundials counts the time

I see the tower blocks of Lowryville
Here and there satanic mills
Shipwrecks of the revolution
Waiting for their new solution
In shades of lead and as heavy too
The rain descends and I lose the view
I turn my collar and head back to the car

We never made love behind the stadium
So much for the song and Van Morrison
There was no grass and your eyes weren't brown but blue
So as I descend down through the cloud
And I make my way there with the crowd
I'm clear now who I love and that is you

All those bits and pieces
All those streets and houses
All roads lead to Eastlands
All those towns and places
All those lives and faces
All roads lead to Eastlands