Amazon Fire TV Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos
Profile for Mr. Raymond P. Godwin > Reviews

Content by Mr. Raymond P....

Mr. Raymond P. Godwin "Godi" (Lancashire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Bridge of Lost Souls

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bridge of Lost Souls. Stories from the Menai Bridge, Anglesey., 4 Feb. 2016
Love this song.
[...] but sounds better on the Amazon demo...

St Seiriol's Island and Me (Theme from Puffin Island)
St Seiriol's Island and Me (Theme from Puffin Island)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Jan. 2016
A heartfelt tribute to the history of Puffin Island and Penmon, Anglesey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Jan. 2016
A song about the Menai Bridge, Anglesey and the lost souls who chose to cross there.

Hercules EZ Clutch Tripod Mic Stand
Hercules EZ Clutch Tripod Mic Stand
Offered by 1to1music

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique, quirky and great looking, 22 Jan. 2014
No, the title of this review isn't referring to me, it's the stand. I've had one of these for a few years now, the thread on the nut which releases and tightens the boss and feet part against the stem has just worn out., so I'm looking to replace. The quick release arm is ideal for my vintage style sure retro mic. I love the yellow boss colour theme which extends to my matching speaker stands. It has a quirky squeeze and release height adjuster mechanism which makes it easy to change the height during a gig. The only drawback is that if you are carrying the stand and point it downwards, the inner shaft slides out at high speed, when tillted back upright it shoots back in potentially causing a blood blister risk if your fingers or hand are close to the joint. Despite that design flaw, I like the stand and will get a like for like replacement.

Round Ireland With A Fridge
Round Ireland With A Fridge
by Tony Hawks

1.0 out of 5 stars Think of a prefix for Hawks beginning with S., 1 Aug. 2012
It's not even remotely funny. It made me wonder whether the author had reached a career point where his confidence was so high that he believed that anything he did would be hilarious. Hitch hiking with a fridge around Ireland caught the imagination of bored rural communities who, if we are to believe the author, were swept along on a tidal wave of enthusiasm and laughter by the very notion. If that's the case, no wonder Oscar Wilde emigrated. To say I was sorely disappointed by this book is an understatement, I found it patronising. Hawks has made himself comfortable at the table of Radio 4 comedy panel games (Auntie does get it wrong sometimes), where for me, he stands out as the least funny contributor so, I guess I have only my self to blame for buying a copy. The only positive I can draw from this is I learned how easy it is to manipulate local media who are only too hungry to fill their airtime or pages with anything, anything at all, that deviates from the norm. I usually give books I've read away to friends, but I have a reputation to keep. What next, a Tony hawks a tumble drier around Wales? - now THAT is funny...

City of Sin: London and Its Vices
City of Sin: London and Its Vices
by Catharine Arnold

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and informative., 1 Aug. 2012
Overall, I enjoyed this book and would recommend it. Upsides are lots of interesting historical stories, facts and figures, downsides are it dwelled on certain periods a bit too much, and dare I say it, I was a bit bored in the middle. It does recover though and overall I am pleased I bought it.

Sightlines
Sightlines
by Kathleen Jamie

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite author, every bit as brilliant as Findings., 27 July 2012
This review is from: Sightlines (Paperback)
Findings and Sightlines by Kathleen Jamie articulate perfectly my own sense of wonder and curiosity for nature, history and life's mysteries in a way I never could. I find it reassuring that I'm not mad or alone in looking at the world in the way I do. Archaeology, natural history, poetry and reflection. Just perfect!

Below Manchester: Going Deeper Under the City
Below Manchester: Going Deeper Under the City
by Keith Warrender

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first book, but enjoyable all the same., 18 Mar. 2010
It was nice to open the page and see my pal Fred Fielder (broadcaster and founder of the Orpheus Club) had written the introduction. The book is very enjoyable and there are lots more historical stories relating to tunnels under Manchester. My only criticism is that there is too much is dedicated to WWII bomb shelters for my liking leaving little room for the more mysterious and historical, nevertheless I'm still glad I bought it.

The Mammoth Book of True Hauntings
The Mammoth Book of True Hauntings
by Peter Haining

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, loads of reading., 18 Mar. 2010
I really enjoyed this book. It does say on the front 'modern' hauntings, but then begins in 1900, I guess it's all relative where ghosts are concerned! Great value for money with masses of accounts to browse through and enjoy. I recommend it.

The Manchester Compendium: A Street-by-Street History of England's Greatest Industrial City
by Ed Glinert

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 11 Feb. 2010
Loved this book. Broken into districts so you can dip in and out. I am stunned by the sheer number of poor reviews, has he upset someone who has taken the time to post a load of drivel. Looks like a conspiracy to me because it's a highly informative and well researched book. It's a great piece of work, highly recommeded.

Page: 1 | 2