Profile for Richard Beech > Reviews

Content by Richard Beech

Richard Beech "Ricardo" (Brighton, East Sussex, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
F1 Race Stars (Xbox 360)
F1 Race Stars (Xbox 360)
Offered by Gameline GmbH.
Price: 8.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy Sonic Instead, 16 Nov 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This game suffers from a couple of problems from which you cannot escape.

1. It looks like a Wii game.

2. Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed: Limited Edition (Xbox 360) is out at the same time which is better on every single level.

Okay, so if you happen to be an F1 fan, have mates who you occasionally like to play kart games with either round yer house with beers or online, AND its about a tenner, then fair enough. But if you are looking for a new kart game before Mario on the WiiU, then just don't bother.

To conclude, very basic, the F1 thing feels bolted on, my Samsung S3 could run it, nowhere near as fun as Sonic.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 18, 2012 11:01 PM GMT

Need For Speed Most Wanted - Limited Edition (Xbox 360)
Need For Speed Most Wanted - Limited Edition (Xbox 360)

5.0 out of 5 stars Racer of 2012, 16 Nov 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I play racing games more than any other genre and to be fair, I'm quite surprised by the negativity Need For Speed Most Wanted - Limited Edition (Xbox 360) is getting. I've been playing Forza, both of them, loads recently, so when I played this it initially felt a little clunky and laggy. But then I remembered that this is basically Burnout, and when driven and considered in that way, its a great game! Others have said its Burnout Paradise mixed with Hot Pursuit. Well it is totally, but I think works brilliantly well. Better than both of those though. If you liked Burnout Revenge and Hot Pursuit, or either, soooo buy it. It's a right laugh. So funny driving completely wrecked cars around. Need For Speed Most Wanted - Limited Edition (Xbox 360)

Ridge Racer Unbounded - Limited Edition (Xbox 360)
Ridge Racer Unbounded - Limited Edition (Xbox 360)
Offered by TwoRedSevens
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Bad Rep, 8 July 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Alright 4/5, but such harsh reviews...

I'm a casual gamer specifically in to racing, I'm pretty good at Forza, and lurrve messing around with Burnout.

Having completed all racing games of interest (I don't do off road or F1) I thought maybe Ridge Racer might offer something to fill the gap since the brilliant NFS Hot Pursuit, and the awful NFS The Race.

But not being a big fan of the arcade racer I thought well I'll see what people say.

Too difficult, impossible to win, weird AI, e.t.c

So I played a demo and sure enough, impossible, and odd. But having rented the game, and since bought for nothing, its great!

You just need to get used to the stupid cornering, then it's a blast! You still get races where you feel you are on it but come last, but other races where just everything goes right and you win. Real satisfaction.

I mean, no car tweaking, no sense of garage, stupid dynamics, but that was Burnout non?, and from time to time you soooo nail a race :-)

Its no Forza, not even a good Burnout, but its better than most reviews suggest, patience!, 4/5 for sure, a blast.

SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8GB MP3 Player with Radio and Expandable MicroSD/SDHC Slot - Black
Price: 31.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value And LOUD!, 31 May 2012
So I decided I needed a new MP3 player, I had been using my phone but it was rubbish and as I'd decided to walk more, in a desire to attain some level of fitness, I decided I needed a nice new dedicated MP3 player, how much can they be these days I thought...

Expensive was the answer!, I was hoping to get a middle of the road Sony one for like GBP 20.00 or something but noooo, and there is no way on Earth I'm paying over GBP 100.00! Requirements wise: volume was the main thing, I like to listen to music unhealthily loudly, then quality, then, well that's it really.

And this little monkey is ideal. I got a second hand one off an Amazon retailer, damaged packaging, had to delete someone else's music, but it was GBP 19.00 AND they Fed Ex'd it the next day on Super Saver! - madness. So all good, changed the factory settings to 'Rest of World', by the way this isn't like flashing the drive or anything, its literally just a menu option, and then upped the gain and set volume to High and BANG as loud as you like, I have it at about 8/10 most of the time which is ear bleedingly loud.

Negative points?, well it is TINY, actually I like it but, very small. Also the headphones that come with are not great (but I bought a pair of JVC XXtreme in ear phones for GBP 12.00 and they are great.)

So to conclude, its ace, great value, and LOUD LOUD LOUD!

Samsung HT-D350 DVD 5.1ch Home Cinema System (discontinued by manufacturer)
Samsung HT-D350 DVD 5.1ch Home Cinema System (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Genuine 5.1 On A Budget, 21 April 2012
Having bought in to the whole Sky Sports F1HD showing in 5.1 thing, I decided that I needed to get a 5.1 system. I'd not been that interested before. So all I wanted was a simple one which allowed me to plug a Sky HD box in. But it turned out to be rather more complicated than I thought.

Apparently you HAD to connect via digital optical to receive actual 5.1 and most of the cheaper ones didn't have it. In fact there is a really popular Sony one that everyone was buying a DO cable with when it didn't even have that input? And there seemed to be confusion as to what model did what. I went to look at another one in Currys which I was certain would be good but it was rubbish. Every forum thing I went on seemed to just be a long argument....

Anyway so somehow one night I stumbled upon the D350, it fulfilled all of my requirements and more. So to cut to the chase, here is how I have it set up, I have a middle of the road LG HDTV by the way.

1. Digital Optical cable splitter in D350.

2. Digital Optical cables running from Xbox360 and Sky HD box back to D350.

3. HDMI from D350 to HDMI splitter in the back of the TV.

And that's it. So it sets up quite subtly, I found the cables long enough, speakers are a tad tinny looking but player which upscales and bass amp look good. And whether watching a DVD or Sky or playing a game, 5.1 is very cool. Hope this helps someone as frankly the whole thing was doing my skull in until I found this.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2012 6:29 PM BST

Hot Sauce Committee Part Two
Hot Sauce Committee Part Two
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 10.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Summer Album, 6 May 2011
I think nin/ja77 has written a great review, and to be honest I can't improve, so I would refer you there.

I just wanted to add two things; it's a great summer/BBQ/festy album, expect to hear it all over the place.

And listen to the lyrics of 'Here's A Little Something for Ya' - soooo funny.

Oh and thanks Amazon, super saver still rocked up day of release - good work.

Still reading?, pffft, just buy.

Forty Years Catching Smugglers
Forty Years Catching Smugglers
by Malcolm G. Nelson
Price: 8.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Behind The Green Channel, 9 Jan 2011
I happened upon this book whilst trying to find documentation on the inner machinations of the anti-smuggling effort at Heathrow for a creative writing project. A bit specific I know, and not surprisingly a tricky subject to find a lot of information on. Not wanting to lean too heavily on Wikipedia, as is so often the case with my coursework, it was a wonderful surprise to come across this, and indeed, it has helped a great deal.

The author obviously knows a lot about his subject, and perhaps uniquely, his book gives the reader an entertaining and very clear picture of how the role of a customs officer might work. Additionally, rather than descend in to technicalities and overtly scholastic language, Forty Years is everything it should've been, informative as well as entertaining.

A great read, if you have any interest in the challenges faced by customs, or are simply a curious frequenter of airports, I would recommend this highly.

Jumper [DVD] [2008]
Jumper [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Rachel Bilson
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.73

4.0 out of 5 stars Retrospective Review, 3 Dec 2010
This review is from: Jumper [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
When this first came out on DVD I was working for a well known DVD store. It was one of those films we had a million copies of and everybody, literally everybody, rented it. Never in over the weekend it was a massive renter, but most said upon return that it was dull. Because of these reviews I never got around to watching it until today having taped it on Film4 weeks ago.

And, bearing in mind I can't stand Hayden Christensen, or that girl off... whatever she's off, it really is not bad. Yes the plot holes are as massive as those they are jumping through, Hayden's acting is as wooden as ever, the FX are cheap and even Jackson dials his performance in. But there is something entertaining about it, perfect really for brainless mong television.

For a 1.25 I'd buy it, you'll only ever watch it once, but 90 minutes of fun is a good return I'd say, quite surprising so many people bemoaned it back when I was at the shop.

Disappear Here
Disappear Here

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 1 April 2010
This review is from: Disappear Here (Audio CD)
Well my Sony Satio struggled with this title, either the CD has no digital information on it or my Satio was being annoying, the latter frankly quite possible! So I had to hand tag each track before my Satio would read this as an album as opposed to a disparate list of random unknown tracks. Very annoying as had been DYING to listen to this album...

Anyway, is now sorted and what can I say? Brooding, cinematic, vocal loveliness.., were Greg Wallace to be listening to it (which no doubt he will soon enough!) he would be looking for some 'exceptional nonsense' or some such. And he would turn and grin at Hybrid in that loving knowing way...

Masterchefisms aside, this album is the best album I've listened to this year, probably for a while, probably since Morning Sci-Fi. In fact I might argue, time will tell, its better than Morning Sci-Fi....

If yer a Hybrid fan, why are you reading this?, just hit 'add to basket'. If not then, honestly give it a go!

Oh and shout out to Amazon who once again ship so early its rude!

Kitchen Craft Expanding Stay Fresh Acrylic Bread Keeper
Kitchen Craft Expanding Stay Fresh Acrylic Bread Keeper
Price: 14.77

3.0 out of 5 stars Bread Head, 20 Aug 2009
We also bake our own bread and it is useful as a storage device, and the guide bit does make it less likely that you'll end up with a wonky loaf. As has been said before though, the base does eventually get damaged by knife strokes and I've also now mangaged to snap one of the guide things off. So great idea, but could have been sturdier given the price.

Page: 1 | 2