Profile for MissAmanda > Reviews

Content by MissAmanda

MissAmanda

Page: 1 | 2
A Dance At The Slaughterhouse (Matt Scudder Mystery)
A Dance At The Slaughterhouse (Matt Scudder Mystery)
by Lawrence Block

5.0 out of 5 stars A very Murky kind of murder, 23 Oct. 2013
There is something very likeable about Matt Scudder, the recovering alcoholic private investigator with a call girl for a girlfriend. His humanity is genuine, his morals intact if a little freyed in some places. He narrates this tale with compassion and integrity, balancing the progress of a double investigation with the stalemate of his battle against his own demons.
There are some confronting verbal images in this book and they are not gratuitous or sensationalist-they are there to bring the reader some idea of the depths of horror and depravity that exists in the world, and the forces that drive some predators to ccarry out the awful things they do.
It is not all darkness and distress though; some of Scudder's associates bring colour and camaraderie, and the unusual relationship he is in is described in tender tones that provide a platform of almost normalcy for this character.
I found it a page turner, with me silently cheering him on in his delivery of justice

Dad's Army - The Complete Collection [DVD] [1968]
Dad's Army - The Complete Collection [DVD] [1968]
Dvd ~ Arthur Lowe

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, watch it, love it!, 5 Sept. 2013
Dad's Army can do no wrong in my view. I love everything about it, the main characters are superb vignettes of people we all know, old fashioned patriotism, slapstick, poignant moments abound.I'll never tire of this.

The Ultimate Ronnie Barker Collection : Seven Of One / Porridge / Going Straight / Open All Hours / Clarence / The Magnificent Evans (12 Disc BBC Box Set) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ronnie Barker
Offered by Atronica

5.0 out of 5 stars Hours of fun!, 5 Sept. 2013
Some old favourites and some things I never knew Mr Barker had done. Brilliant! You can appreciate how clever the British humour really is!

Bates' Pocket Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking, International Edition
by Lynn S. Bickley

3.0 out of 5 stars Required text for a course I did, 5 Sept. 2013
Handy reference, great for health care professionals and odd folk that like to masquerade as health professionls. Don't try it at home.

Withnail And I [1986] [DVD]
Withnail And I [1986] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard E. Grant
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars The Angst!, 5 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Withnail And I [1986] [DVD] (DVD)
This movie is tonic on a cold wet winter afternoon when all you want to do is snuggle down and marvel at the silly -arse antics of these beautiful boys!

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (2 Disc Special Edition) [1975] [DVD]
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (2 Disc Special Edition) [1975] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tim Curry
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars The classic!, 5 Sept. 2013
Perfection in a basque and fishnets......a rocking good tale that cannot fail to please....don't dream it, be it... the end!

Faraway
Faraway
by Lucy Irvine

4.0 out of 5 stars More than memories, 5 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Faraway (Paperback)
As a youngster I read the articles Irvine published in the Sunday Times about her year on Pigeon island and was totally taken in by them- inspite of her accounts of the difficulties and challenges of such a life, ultimately I remember thinking it was a tremendously romantic existance. "Faraway" the book was no less an enthralling read for me, although as an adult I was struck by how selfish and arrogant Irvine comes across in her role of biographer....
Nonetheless, an enjoyable, thought provoking read, perhaps all the more relevant now I live on an island in the South Pacific myself. It won't change your life, but will give you respite from the modern world for a few hours.

The Crow Road [DVD]
The Crow Road [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Capaldi

5.0 out of 5 stars In memory of the master, 17 July 2013
This review is from: The Crow Road [DVD] (DVD)
I read the book and watched the TV series when it first came out, enthralled by both. I thought the TV series was a wonderful interpretation of Iain Bank's glorious tale of the twists and tangles, love and loss, all wrapped in the wry humour of Prentice, as narrator.
I watched this over 2 days, recovering from an operation. It enthralled me, entertained and comforted in a strange way, dealing as it does with the possibility of life beyond this one. I'll confess to having a few tears, thinking about the loss to the literary world of Iain Banks earlier in the year.Such a talent.
I don't imagine ever getting tired of this, until it is my turn to away down the crow road.

Jerusalem
Jerusalem
by Yotam Ottolenghi

4.0 out of 5 stars My holiday memory, 17 July 2013
This review is from: Jerusalem (Hardcover)
One of best ever memories was eating falafel in a sun dappled court yard in Jerusalem in 2005. Ever since, I have been searching for a meal that matched my humble lunch in terms of freshness, taste and atmosphere-it was sublime, and I am searching still.
This book then for me is more of a reminiscence than anything. I can be transported back to a time and place that will always be dear and precious, and at the moment I am content to simply devour the pictures and writing, both of which hint to me of yet more adventures in Jerusalem.

Paul Hollywood's Bread
Paul Hollywood's Bread
by Paul Hollywood

4.0 out of 5 stars A new take on bread?, 17 July 2013
This review is from: Paul Hollywood's Bread (Hardcover)
I got this at the same time as Paul Hollywoods How to Bake book and am not sure if I need both. Like the other book it is written in clear terms, with a no nonsense style. i like the fact he is trying to make bread the hero of a variety of meals, and there are some nice ideas for recipes, which i intend to work my way through.

Again the styling of this book is "rustic" and blokey, but i don't find it unappealing. It does feel like a degree of repetition with this and How to Bake, and if forced to get rid of one it would be this.

Page: 1 | 2