Profile for S. Palmer > Reviews

Cloud Atlas [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Tom Hanks
Offered by Bridge_Records

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing story-telling, 17 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Cloud Atlas [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I have in the last half an hour just finished watching this film for the first time. I know I will see it again, because there is so much in there, like a good record. I was utterly, utterly blown away by the the themes in this film, and feel quite profoundly moved and motivated by it. I won't say much more because the other 5-star reviews on here do an adequate job, using all the right words, which I'm not very good at. But what I can say is, this film connected with me and for a full 5 minutes afterwards, I was sitting in my armchair on the verge of tears, every kind of tears... joy, sadness, laughter, relief, contentment. It's the kind of stuff that makes you want to turn your life to a new direction, and, you know, I think I will.

Wit Knits - Lively and original hand knitting designs
Wit Knits - Lively and original hand knitting designs
by George Hostler

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 3 Oct. 2011
A fantastic book that surely must have been made at least partly as a joke! It's packed with loads of vintage 80s patterns, modelled by various British... do I say icons? (Anne Diamond, Joanna Lumley, Richard Briers and Bonnie Langford to name but a few). I bought this mainly for a good laugh with no intention of knitting any of the patterns, except maybe as a joke for a friends birthday one day... but should you want to, everything is in place for you to do so. Clear patterns, easy to read. Worth it if only to look at the appalling pictures and Brandreth's appalling, pun-riddled blurbs!

Black Swan [Blu-ray]
Black Swan [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Natalie Portman
Offered by Discs4all

4.0 out of 5 stars Just something to bear in mind..., 23 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Black Swan [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
As so often happens, people review the DVD/Blu-ray release instead of the actual film. I saw this in the cinema and was totally immersed in it - it's the kind of film that needs the volume turned up so you can swim in the gorgeous music and the lights off so you have nothing to visually distract you. "But a good film shouldn't distract me anyway!", you exclaim. True, dat. But a good film should be approached with respect (you'd do the same for the Godfather, right?), and besides, it's not shameful to admit that some films are enhanced by the support of their elements, be it the scoring, CGI, SFX or whatever.

I'm not saying this film is mindblowing, nor am I saying it's cowpat. But I enjoyed it for what it was - it entertained, even if sometimes for the wrong reasons.

So before you slate this film, watch it properly. Watch it all. And give cinema the respect it deserves.

Battlestar Galactica: Season 4 (Part One) [DVD]
Battlestar Galactica: Season 4 (Part One) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Edward James Olmos

3.0 out of 5 stars The saga continues..., 7 Jan. 2011
(Just so you know, this review contains a tiny, tiny spoiler....)

The tagline on the front of this boxset is "DESTINY IS NOT WHAT IT SEEMS". It should read, "THIS BOXSET IS NOT WHAT IT SEEMS", for if you've read any of the other reviews on this item then you'll know by now that this is only half of the season. It has four discs, but disc 1 is the feature-length, entitled 'Razor', and disc 4 is for special features. The second half of season four is known more accurately as 'the final season'.

Saying that, it's bloody good! So far (yeah, I'm not quite finished yet) there's been several dramatic turns, even the death of a regular character... carrying on with great tension and dexterity the major revelation at the end of season three.

If you've got this far, you won't be disappointed!

Genus Type R Digital Radio with FM (DAB/FM Walnut)
Genus Type R Digital Radio with FM (DAB/FM Walnut)

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good deal, considering..., 1 Jan. 2011
This is not bad piece of equipment, especially considering the price (bought this in dec 2010, it was £50), the main thing that bothers me is that the touch-screen style buttons aren't strictly touch sensitive, I find I still have to push them as hard as I would a normal button or slide my finger several times to get a response, rather than with the instant, deft lightness that other touch-sensitive devices are capable of responding to. But it looks BEE-YOO-tiful in our kitchen with its sexy aluminium and walnut casing (the leather back is not quite as stunning but its on the back so that's fine) and futuristic red glow.

The sound: it's VERY bass-ey, almost a little too much. The EQ settings don't have much difference between them, I find jazz or classical is the best as the bass isn't the focus as much as it is with the 'pop' or 'rock'. The 'flat' setting... well, that does exactly what it says on the tin. And I mean not in a good way.

Considering the price, and the fact that we're now receiving great quality DAB radio as opposed to a £5 analogue relic from Woolworths (!), I'd say this is def a must. If you want to keep it cheap, functional, AND impress your friends, go for it.

Oh, and it's quite heavy! What do they PUT in these things?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2011 2:58 AM GMT

Rentokil Beacon FM86 Rodent Mouse and Rat Repellent
Rentokil Beacon FM86 Rodent Mouse and Rat Repellent

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother,, 14 Dec. 2010
I plugged this into a socket in the kitchen and left a piece of bread out right in front of it on the first night, only the crusts were left the next day. I'm returning this! Rentokil, you failed!

Battlestar Galactica - The Mini Series [2003] [DVD] [2004]
Battlestar Galactica - The Mini Series [2003] [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Edward James Olmos
Offered by Telstar Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent start, 29 Oct. 2010
What a great start to a great saga! I'm now in the middle of season two and I'm still gripped by the concept, the plot, and the characters and all the inevitable discoveries they're going to make about each other, or have already made and are dealing with.... if you don't know what I'm talking about then you need to BUY THIS DVD! It's definitely worth it, especially at such a cheap price, and if it doesn't get you hooked, then you haven't lost out on much. But you WILL be hooked...

By the way, this is the feature-length mini-series, the scene-setter for the entire BG story. you need to see this before starting with season 1.

Medulla
Medulla
Offered by Todays Great Deal

5.0 out of 5 stars An important step in music evolution, 26 Dec. 2004
This review is from: Medulla (Audio CD)
I must say I was quite surprised to hear how much controversy and division amongst fans this album has produced. In my eyes it's a highly responsive and effective work of art. Bjorks reaction to a post 9/11, politically insane, 21st century Earth is understandable - a return to time dot when we humans (or whatever we were then) had nothing except our primitive selves. No tools, no instruments, just what we were born with.
The power of the human (well, the power of the human voice, never mind the rest of us) is enough, and i think there is no more startling and chilling evidence of that than right here. We have the power to change, and to use what we have for the best.
By the way, there isn't a track on Medulla I don't like! I love how I can just let the whole album play, and it speaks as a whole, journeying on through. The sheer violent power of 'Where Is The Line'... the eerie, extra-terrestrial 'Submarine'... The vocals on 'Ancestors' send chills through me, reminding me AGAIN (yawn) about the power of the voice. We really do have an impressive little gadget in our necks, guys... lets use it to its potential, and to our rightful advantage?

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (2 Disc Special Edition) [1975] [DVD]
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (2 Disc Special Edition) [1975] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tim Curry
Offered by BUDGETPRICES

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it buy it buy it! BUY IT!, 12 Feb. 2003
A fantastic film - there's never been a film like before, and no-one'll ever conceive of something like this again! A truly gothic-musical-comedy masterpiece, that's just plain fun! I can only find one fault with it - in the opening scene, before "Dammit Janet", you can see the overhead microphone peeking in at the top of the screen! And there's about a million shadows of the actors, as well as the said microphone. But all this adds to the fact that RHPS is a dedication to every cheesy sci-fi, horror, comedy and musical ever put onto film. Buy it before the film police come round and arrest you for a lack of interesting films in your collection.