Profile for Bores Easily > Reviews

Consumed: How We Buy Class in Modern Britain
Consumed: How We Buy Class in Modern Britain
by Harry Wallop

4.0 out of 5 stars One to show off on the mahogany bookshelf., 19 Oct. 2014
I found this a very enjoyable read on the whole. Previously I have found that books of this nature which explore serious and controversial subjects such as sociology and economics are too concerned with statistical patterns and quantitative research, making for very laborious reading, eg. The Spirit Level. Although Wallop does draw upon research to bring some rigour to the account, the book doesn't take itself too seriously and many of the class categories that the author devises from Sun Skittler to Portland Privateer are not meant to be taken literally (at least that was my understanding anyway!). The author makes no bones of being from a very privileged background himself which adds to the book's appeal for me, although I would argue, from the position of someone from the opposite end of the class spectrum, that he does not feel as comfortable in exploring the intricacies and idiosyncrasies of 'working-class' lives to the degree that he does with those further up the ladder. However, on the whole this is well worth a read.

Settle
Settle

2.0 out of 5 stars Read the book by its cover, 30 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Settle (Audio CD)
It's ironic that the cover says a lot about what lies beneath.

Firstly, it wouldn't be a hard stretch to imagine that two similarly aged boys produced this album. It sounds every inch like the stuff that me and and the rest of my classmates used to knock out on Casio keyboards during music lessons with Mrs Siddall. Creativity and originality are almost non-existent.

The greatest irony however is that this album shows no 'logical progression' (and in many ways a regression) from the dance music which was kicking around when these two were in their infancy. For me, the reason that the Chemical Brothers, the Prodigy, 808 state etc. have stood the test of time is that their music is (on the whole) multi-layered and inventive. It is evident from the nuances and subtleties of each bleep and tweek within these albums that the creators have spent much thought, effort and time on every track. This is why I listened to 'the Experience', Exit Planet Dust etc over and over, because I always heard something new, which in my opinion is what the best albums are all about.

The same cannot at all be said for 'Settle', which is formulaic and repetitive, almost as if the artists have 'settled' for nothing (get it?!). It's as ingenious as the tippex-pen doodles on their little faces, What saddens me most is that there are many young kids out there who must think that the sun shines out of these boys' be-hinds. That's a real pity, because 20 years ago there were literally thousands of much more creative artists (eg. most Belgian techno- Frank de Wulf) who barely got any recognition or profit for their work (not that they wanted it of course, eg. KLF). As for all those who remember the good old days of acid house, (that includes you Noel) you should know better. You must have either lost all your rave tapes or never have had any decent ones in the first place.

And the reason that i gave this a second star is that it did make me reminisce of those times. Albeit very briefly.

Drugs - without the hot air: Minimising the harms of legal and illegal drugs
Drugs - without the hot air: Minimising the harms of legal and illegal drugs

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what it says on the tin, 18 May 2013
On the whole, an insightful and thought-provoking book. As you may have guessed, Nutt has very large bone to pick with the government, the current drugs law and the status quo, and why not- they're absurd. However, like any scientist worth their salt, he doesn't let this cloud his judgement and build his argument on facts and up-to-date research, referencing countless journals and scholarly articles throughout. To this end, if there was anything which let the book down, it was its rather empirical and scientific overtones which at times have the effect of breaking up the flow of the work (especially the kindle version, as many of diagrams can't be read without a magnifying glass). That said, he is a professor, so what did I expect you may ask. Recommended.

Values and Ethics in Social Work Practice (Transforming Social Work Practice Series)
by Lester Parrott

2.0 out of 5 stars Average at best., 11 Jan. 2013
Like many other books within the Learning Matters series, this book provides a less than comprehensive overview of the subject of values in social work practice. I found this volume to touch rather superficially upon subjects which generally merited more attention, which was disappointing. As a student who has recently undertaken a bachelors social work programme, I would recommend Sarah Banks' book over this as it makes for easier referencing.

As a Man Thinketh
As a Man Thinketh

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply superb, 1 Sept. 2012
This review is from: As a Man Thinketh (Kindle Edition)
I initially had some reservations about ordering this book for my Kindle as, despite the fact that it was free, I was concerned that given its age the language would make it quite an inaccessible read. Also I am new to this genre and have found other philosophy-type books (Nietsche etc) very hard going as a 'layman', to the point that I have usually been unable to continue beyond the opening chapter or so without a migrane through perseverence.

However I found As A Man Thinketh extremely refreshing in this regard as Allen's arguments are so easy to follow, it left me wondering why other authors over-complicate things so much, if only to deliberately exclude the masses, so to speak. Though I am sure that those more familiar to the subject may find the book rather too basic, it met my current level of knowledge perfectly and I can't recommend it strongly enough to anyone who is in a similar position.

A concise and excellent read.

Inglourious Basterds [DVD] (2009)
Inglourious Basterds [DVD] (2009)
Dvd ~ Brad Pitt
Offered by DVDBayFBA

2.0 out of 5 stars I love Tarantino but...., 25 Dec. 2009
i'm afraid this is absolute tripe in my opinion. If i was on my own i would have walked out of the cinema before the end. Unlike all his other films, there is little clever about any of it which a real disappointment. I feel that he is really playing into the hands of his critics with this one as it is crude and meaninglessly violent. Avoid

Peppered With Spastic Magic
Peppered With Spastic Magic

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't hesitate- buy it., 20 Dec. 2008
I am often wary of this style of music being pretentious, often to the point of thinking that it could have been accidentally produced by a 12 year old on an old casio keyboard in music lesson before being polished to sound more professional.
However, this compilation is excellent throughout. It is intelligent and dark and it's not hard to picture yourself moving to it whilst wearing a contorted grimace in some seedy, underground sweatpit.
Needless to say, get it.

Strangest Things
Strangest Things
Offered by Qoolist

4.0 out of 5 stars Its all good, 2 Feb. 2005
This review is from: Strangest Things (Audio CD)
This album is growing on me more with each listen. Similar styles to Fischerspooner I think, though reminds me a bit of scissor sisters in a way as well as Timo's Loud and...... (I could go on). On the whole its quality electro, just buy it, you won't regret it. Promise