Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "Rich Bamford" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
EcoAir DC202 Hybrid Dehumidifier/Air Purifier  - 20 Litre
EcoAir DC202 Hybrid Dehumidifier/Air Purifier - 20 Litre

5.0 out of 5 stars Good solid dehumidifier - does the job., 23 Feb. 2015
Bought this after going through two desiccant dehumidifiers (the proper ones not the little pots).
Don't think it pulls any more water out of the house in a day then our previous ones did but it certainly does it much faster (i'd say 2x as fast).
We mainly use it (and it predecessors) for keeping the bathroom dry in the winter when having baths/showers and for drying washing.
The laundry mode isn't quite as efficient as that on our previous desiccant dryer but works reasonably well - this is mostly because the our desiccant dryers put out warm air when in laundry mode which greatly helps the process.
We don't tend to run this dryer continuously like we did it's predecessor because although it only engages the compressor when actually drying the fan runs at full tilt all the time. Our previous dryers ran continuously (being desiccant) but lowered the fan speed to a relative whisper when the air was dry.
The air filtering is quite good so far, The air certainly seems a bit cleaner. Yet to see how long the filters last. I've hoovered the surface dust off it twice so far in a couple of months,
Certainly a cut above the last compressor dehumidifier I had a couple of decades ago. You only really hear the fan - no clicks and clanks as the compressor turns on and off.

Ko-lee Go Instant Super Chow Mein Flavour 85 g (Pack of 24)
Ko-lee Go Instant Super Chow Mein Flavour 85 g (Pack of 24)

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably best cheap noodles on the market, 23 Feb. 2015
These are miles better than the ones you get in the shops for the same price.
Only gave 4 stars to the chow mein flavour as I don't think they're quite as nice as some of the other flavours.
I think the chicken ones are the best.

Found the soy sauce a little to thick to extract from the packet - imagine a slightly softened toffee :)
Bought a box of them and don't even bother with the soy and chilli sachets now.

I think some people make the mistake (in my opinion) of adding the seasonings to the water at the start. This runs the risk of ending up with a fairly bland soup if you over-do the water. I think that it makes more sense (as I think the packet indicates) to add the seasonings at the end when you've drained off the excess water. Personally I prefer them fairly dry so I drain almost all the water off before seasoning.

Lurch Spiralo Vegetable Spiralizer Green/Cream
Lurch Spiralo Vegetable Spiralizer Green/Cream

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 21 Feb. 2015
This is an excellent gadget!

'Spaghetti chips' is a firm favourite with the kids. We simply spiralize a whole potato add a little oil and seasoning and 'fry' it for a few minutes in our Philips Airfryer (another excellent gadget). What you end up with is a crispy potato 'birds nest'. The other big success is spiralized courgette which if you lightly peel it first and blanch the spiralized result for a couple of minutes makes very plausible spaghetti - well our kids haven't realised yet ;)

It takes a bit of practice at first but you soon get used to it. The interchangeable blades are very handy and reasonably safe in adult hands (certainly far safer than a mandolin). I found that softer fruit and veg is best chopped into manageable bits rather than trying to do it whole. This soon becomes obvious if the spikes on the end of the pole start to chew the item up rather than turn it. I haven't tried the horizontal version but others have noted that the vertical version (this one) is easier to use and more compact. It's very easy to clean under the tap (obviously taking care with the very sharp blade).

Ko-lee Go Instant Noodles Special Chicken Flavour 85 g (Pack of 24)
Ko-lee Go Instant Noodles Special Chicken Flavour 85 g (Pack of 24)

5.0 out of 5 stars Far superior to other cheap instant noodles, 21 Feb. 2015
I tried a box of these along with the Chow Mein flavour based on recommendations of other Amazon customers.
As instant noodles go they are the best I've come across and now a firm family favourite.
Price-wise they are on a par with the cheap noodle found in most supermarkets but definitively a step above on taste and quality.
Unlike the ones you tend to find in shops the flavouring comes in several packets.
Both types we tried had two basic flavour packets; one containing an oil and another containing a powder.
The chow mein had two additional packets; one with a VERY thick soy source and another with chili powder.
Some complain that they have no flavour but I suspect they have not followed the instructions.
Best approach is to soak the noodles for 3-4 mins in boiling water (or microwave them) WITHOUT the flavouring.
Then DRAIN off all or most of the water (depending how soupy you like them) and add the flavourings and stir well.
Once prepared they make a nice quick snack or even better can be added to a stir fry.

ERA SARACEN SURELOCK LAIRD FAB & FIX SURELOCK HOMESAFE WESTWARD 45mm Backset Split Spindle Centre Case / Gearbox / Mechanism 45 / 92. UPVC Door Lock Gearbox
Offered by Home Secure

5.0 out of 5 stars Like having a new door, 21 Feb. 2015
Bought this in a hurry after our front door lock self-destructed.
Very good value and delivered with a couple of days of ordering.

One of the bolts fell out of our door lock and the mechanism then jammed (fortunately whilst it was open). Initially I was expecting to have to call out a locksmith (not cheap) as being a multi-point lock it seemed a bit complex to attempt DIY. However, having watched a couple of videos on YouTube I realised just how simple these locks are to take out and replace. As in most cases, my problem was the gearbox - which had worn out and fallen to bits. After £20 and a couple of days wait I now have a fully functioning lock. The new mechanism is sweet as a nut - don't know why I put up with the old one for so long.

Replacing the gearbox took literally 10 minutes. First I removed the handles (the shaft obviously prevents the gearbox coming out). Next was the euro lock cylinder which is held in by a single screw on the edge of the door (you also need the key in so that the paddle can be moved slightly to allow the cylinder out). Next was the multi-point lock plate itself. This was just a case of removing the screws (not the star head ones) along the edge of the door and lifting it off, complete with the attached gearbox. The only marginally tricky bit is detaching the old gearbox from the plate as it is attached by special star head screws (fortunately I had the appropriate bit in the screw driver set). It's then just a case of attaching the new gearbox and putting it all back. A handy tip: ensure the top bolt (the angled sprung one) is the right way round for your door before putting it all back, as I found out it can be easily reversed but is a bit tricky when the gearbox is in the door.

Nikon Action VII Series Binoculars ( 12 x 50 )
Nikon Action VII Series Binoculars ( 12 x 50 )

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pair of binoculars, 26 Jan. 2015
I bought these primarily for star gazing but they work equally well in daylight.
They're night and bright, well made and have a rugged feel. The rubberised coating is also handy on cold winter nights.
They're pretty comfortable to use as binoculars go and not too heavy.
They have the standard thread so can be attached to a tripod with a suitable adapter.

The only slight niggle are the end caps - you can attach them to the strap when not in use but not when they are in use (if you get my drift). Would have been nice if they perhaps had a cord on them.

Bacheldre Watermill Millers Malted Bread Mix 16 kg
Bacheldre Watermill Millers Malted Bread Mix 16 kg

5.0 out of 5 stars It's definately malty, 26 Jan. 2015
We already have a couple of types of Bacheldre bread flour delivered on subscription and decided to try the malted mix just to see what it was like. It's worth noting that this is a MIX and not just flour - took us a couple of loaves before we stopped adding additional yeast :)
Not much that I can say about it other than it's lovely and malty and up to the usual high Bacheldre standard.
Would be nice if it didn't have the 'mix' ingredients as it would take the complication out of combining it with other flours - malted rustic is very nice :)

Meiego GU10 AC220V 3000K 6.4W 530lm 16 LED 5630 SMD LED Lamp Warm white Spotlight Light Bulb
Offered by meiegouk

4.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable for the price, 26 Jan. 2015
These are far brighter than the previous generation of LED GU10 bulbs. In fact due to the fairly typical narrow beam (compared to a halogen) they can be a bit too bright if seen head on. By far the biggest problem with these and other LED bulbs however is the fairly short life time. Like all their LED predecessors in our house this set lasted just over a year before failing. I suspect it's down to the very cheap voltage regulators that are pushed to their limit (and beyond if your mains supply is a bit unstable). In every LED bulb we've had fail over the years the actual LEDs have been fine it's always the regulator that burns out. However, at £2 they're worth a go and they certainly perform just as well as versions costing several times as much. Is suspect that anyone really serious about fitting out an entire house is better off with low voltage versions and a proper regulated power supply.

Tokuiri Tofu Miso Soup (Pack of 3)
Tokuiri Tofu Miso Soup (Pack of 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best instant miso soup I've tried, 26 Jan. 2015
Tried this based on other peoples reviews and didn't regret it.
That's not to say it's to everyone's taste but I personally find it one of the best instant miso soups I've tried. It tastes more 'authentic' than some of the others (if that makes sense).
I also like the fact that the miso paste is in a separate sachet to the dried ingredients rather than all being in one.
The other bonus is that it's sold at a reasonable price (unlike some of the less tasty versions).

Chapelwood Complete Dining Station with Feeders
Chapelwood Complete Dining Station with Feeders

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good for the price, 26 Jan. 2015
Although this product is not premium quality it is extremely good for the price. You'd we hard pressed to get a couple of feeders for the price at the local garden center. The actual frame seems pretty solid and was simple to assemble. The plastic feeders are pretty cheap looking but should be good for a couple of years at least - in any case you can always replace them. The stand has lots of hooks although four feeder is probably enough. I have no doubt that the metal will eventually rust after a few years but at this price it's not worth worrying about (and probably cheaper to replace than keep painting). It is far taller than I was expecting (although the dimensions are indicated) but this does give plenty of scope for driving the pole well into the ground.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4