Profile for Lesley > Reviews

The Birds and the Bees
The Birds and the Bees
Price: 5.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Och I loved it!, 5 Aug 2014
I fell in love with the big Scottish brute of a man along the way! I have seen a few reviews saying the ending is predictable but it is the end the reader was rooting for all along is it nae?!
I enjoyed the story immensely and Milly' s style is so readable I just want to read all her books and I intend to.
Someone should actually make a film out of The Birds and the Bees!

The Yorkshire Pudding Club
The Yorkshire Pudding Club
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank God I found you Milly Johnson!, 23 July 2014
Being a Barnsley lass, born and bred, I was taken aback to discover that the lady in the WH Smith's book chart was from the same town as me! She is successful too and I had to have her latest book for my holiday.
I can't resist a Yorkshire pudding so I thought I'd start at the very beginning and see if she was any good.
Her characters are endearing and wholly believable, and I have to admit getting a little giddy at the mention of Barnsley bus station and our local paper The Chronicle!!! It's brilliant how I related to the area and the people described!
I must say I am very proud of Milly and I love her honest and amusing style of writing.
Of course I am going to read them all now. Chuffed to pieces to have discovered her at last!!!

The First Last Kiss
The First Last Kiss
Price: 3.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreakingly brilliant, 17 May 2014
5 stars from me. I sobbed through the last few chapters. Thank goodness I was in bed not on the beach!
You will fall in love with Molly and Ryan, and even the coldest heart will have no doubt that love exists!
There are things to take away from this novel, lessons to be learned from the protagonist herself.
Don't take a single kiss for granted!
Some of Ryan's most poignant words will stay with me for a very long time.
This author is brilliant and for a first novel it is simply stunning. She took my heart and ran away with it, broke it and put it back together again.

Scrabble Secrets (Collins Little Books)
Scrabble Secrets (Collins Little Books)
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind boggling!, 28 April 2014
He's obviously a fantastic champion and he's sharing his knowledge to help the amateur like me improve their game. I may have picked up a couple of new moves thanks to Mark! I will refer back to this book time and time again in the future. A great find for Scrabble players :)

The Courage Tree
The Courage Tree
Price: 4.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable but no Jodi Picoult. SPOILER ALERT!, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Courage Tree (Kindle Edition)
I was excited to read a new author likened to Jodi Picoult. Whilst the story was gripping at first I thought it lost momentum along the way and fizzled out in the end and I found it rather far fetched and convenient. No shock or exciting twist as far as I was concerned. Miracle herbal cures, kidney transplants within days. Shifting of affections. Quick conception! All too contrived for me I'm afraid.

Another Life
Another Life
Price: 4.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner!, 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: Another Life (Kindle Edition)
So the story ends that started with When I was Joe. It's quite sad to be saying goodbye to the characters that have been so brilliantly established over the three novels.
I have enjoyed all if them equally despite Archie taking over the most part of the narration in this one. I did have doubts about it when I read the blurb beforehand but it was all good. I recommend reading the whole trilogy. You are going to want to see these characters through to the story's end.

Almost True
Almost True
Price: 4.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost as good as the first one? In fact it is!, 30 Nov 2013
This review is from: Almost True (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed the continuation of the story from "When I was Joe" It seamlessly carried through to a satisfying conclusion. Well written and captivating. A great read for teens and also adults. I would highly recommend it.

When I Was Joe
When I Was Joe
Price: 4.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome read whatever your age, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: When I Was Joe (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed When I was Joe. I stumbled across it by pure chance while reading about Danielle Cable online, and a story about witness protection appealed to me.
I love the easy way it flows, simplistic enough for the teenage audience it is aimed at,
but still a good read for adults alike.
I hope to get my teenage son to read it too. I am now going to invest in the next instalment. I need to know how this captivating story unfolds.......

Ben
Ben
Price: 3.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional and captivating, 2 Jun 2013
This review is from: Ben (Kindle Edition)
Kerry's story in her own words is long overdue. It is completely candid and heart-wrenching. I am writing this with tears still wet on my face.
Please buy this book and keep the search for Ben alive. If you are taking an actual book on holiday this year make it this one. When you have finished leave it in hotel foyers and swap boxes the world over. The final chapter is yet to come. When Ben is found and 22 years of heartbreak can end in closure.
Kerry Needham is an inspiration but more importantly she is a mum. Ben's mum. With all my heart I hope the happy ending comes and soon.

Nineteen Minutes
Nineteen Minutes
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly compelling, 4 Jan 2013
This review is from: Nineteen Minutes (Kindle Edition)
I couldn't put it down. Having read a couple of books by the same author I had already anticipated the twist at the end, but this did not detract from the story at all.
The writing is as always outstanding and to tackle such an emotive subject in a way that makes you empathize with the shooter as well as the people destroyed by his actions is no mean feat. I actually shed tears for Peter at the end and remembered that 11th marker that was constantly removed. Such a tragic story but written beautifully. Amazing. 5 stars.

Page: 1 | 2