ARRAY(0xaec2da50)

Profile for Alison Outhwaite > Reviews

Content by Alison Outhwaite

Alison Outhwaite "Kestrel" (UK)

The Left Hand of God
The Left Hand of God
by Paul Hoffman
Price: 3.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Cliched and sexist, 20 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Left Hand of God (Paperback)
I just about managed to get through half of this book before I gave it up as a lost cause. What an absolute load of twaddle and a waste of my time. It does nothing to challenge tropes in the slightest - in fact, I'd say the author based his book solely around a list of tropes he wrote down and did his utmost to fit them all in regardless of how badly they affected the plot.

I honestly felt this novel had potential when it started off. I'll admit, I was intrigued. Sadly, I just don't think the author knew what was happening. Though I didn't manage to read to the end, it's clear the author is not very good at addressing plot holes and tying up loose ends. He just wanted to create a bad-ass hero and sadly made him 2 dimensional in the process. He also made absolutely no effort to give the few female characters any substance - they are firmly rooted in the male gaze and I have no interested in reading about women whose sole purpose in a story is to provide a bit of titillation for the male hero and continue to enforce gender stereotypes. It actually angers me how lazy the characterisation was.

Do not give this piece of crap the time of day. Move along.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2013 9:24 PM BST

Blue Banana Long Sleeve Shrug
Blue Banana Long Sleeve Shrug
Offered by Blue Banana
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great clothing, fantastic company, 20 Dec 2012
I've bought 4 things from Blue Banana now and I have yet to be disappointed. This latest time I bought this and the lighter, thinner shrug, and I love both. Really happy with how they look and well-fitting. The thing I really appreciate about Blue Banana is that they genuinely seem to put in the effort to provide quality service. Not only are their clothes good, but they make sure to ship things out quickly (I'd barely bought my latest purchase by the time it arrived at my door) and the care they put into packaging is really lovely - boxes, ribbons, a free lolly?? What more can you ask for. If you like the look of this shrug, get it. It's worth the money.

The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle)
The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle)
by Patrick Rothfuss
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars A+, 23 May 2010
Now one of my favourite fantasy novels after only finishing it yesterday. Kvothe is a fantastically involving and exciting main character, and most of the minor characters are hardly less so. In the build up to the appearance of Kvothe's love interest, I was very sceptical and prepared to dislike her. She was being build up to be The Perfect Woman and I was rolling my eyes. However, Rothfuss did not let me down. I ended up loving her almost, if not as much as Kvothe, and I can't wait to find out more about her. A very intriguing, mysterious and tortured young woman, and not in any typical, cliched way.

Other favourite characters include Bast, who, though he doesn't appear much throughout the novel, is also very intriguing and endearingly loyal to Kvothe. I was also personally very drawn to Elodin - once again a very mysterious character, and exceedingly eccentric. I'm not sure how much more we'll see of him in the following novels, but I hope to see at least a little backstory for him before we leave him behind.

All in all, although it's rather long, I was very rarely disinterested in what was going on. Occasionally we have cuts to the present day where Kvothe is telling his story, which caused some frustration on my part where all I wanted to do was find out more about the events he has been narrating. However, these little snippets are equally interesting and become ever more important to the story as a whole.

I highly reccommend The Name of the Wind to anyone who enjoys fantasy, magic and adventure, character driven stories. It really won't be a waste of your time.