Profile for Anthony Hegarty > Reviews

Content by Anthony Hegarty

Anthony Hegarty (Derry,N Ireland)

The Adventures Of Robinson Crusoe [1964] [DVD]
The Adventures Of Robinson Crusoe [1964] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Hoffmann

4.0 out of 5 stars The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, 15 April 2008
Although The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe was on British TV from 1965,I first saw it at the age of 6 in 1971.Even at that young age,it made an impact on me,so when I heard it was coming out on Dvd,I couldn't wait.First let's get the bad points out of the way,as a few reviewers have already mentioned,the print is "grainy" at times and really,a bit of money could have been thrown at this release to enhance its presentation.Some more extras would have been nice,such as info on all the actors,film crew etc,maybe a few photos showing the island in the present and yes I know that there is a town there now where it was filmed.One intriging thing about the extras was the colour photos,in which I saw pictures of scenes and characters not in the filmed version ie:there seems to be a scene showing Robinson help a friend to elope,does this mean that there are deleted scenes somewhere?.Grumble over,this was a joy to watch storywise.This is the definitive version,as I watched it,so many memories came back,the great music,one of the best ever soundtracks to a tv series,moves you and thrills you depending on the action.As an adult,I could appreciate Robert Hoffman's acting more.As he is dubbed,Robert acts with his body and face to tell the story effectively.He will always be remembered by many generations for this portrayal.I also for the first time realised how good that Lee Payant's commentary is,his voice gives the story its soul to Hoffman's heart.The story might not appeal to many of today's children which is a pity but it will live long in the memories of those lucky to have seen it.The only other bad thing was that where once it took a summer to watch the story,I now had watched it in a weekend and my adventure was over.Maybe as Robinson Crusoe says at the end "one day,I will return to my island".Maybe next year I'll return.