Profile for Norbert Warner > Reviews

Content by Norbert Warner

Norbert Warner "Bert warner" (Whitley bay)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Stephen Boyd: From Belfast To Hollywood (Revised)
Stephen Boyd: From Belfast To Hollywood (Revised)
by Joe Cushnan

4.0 out of 5 stars FROM PORTSMOUTH TO LONDON, 17 July 2016
The author did not get much to go on for his biography, most people who knew him have now passed away. He is very repetitious going over stories three or even four times. Nevertheless he has the courage to write about someone not to well remembered nowadays, so I give him four stars for that. I read the reviews first, but there was something I wanted to know about Stephen Boyd.
In 1954 I was called up for national service in the Royal Navy and was paid 30 shillings every two weeks, we did get our food and bed free, but we had to pay for toothpaste, razor blades and washing powder. No launderies in th RN, you did that yourself. I had been in about two weeks when I noticed a Picture Post magazine with lots of pictures from a new movie titled THE CAINE MUTINY which had just opened in London's west end. I had read the book a few years before, enjoyed it, and as a movie fan really wanted to see it. Now in those days a new movie would open in London, about a month later in major cities, then another month before it was shown in your local town. Come the Saturday I decided to make the journey from Portsmouth to London which took about two hours in those days. Arriving at the Odeon cinema in Leicester Square I see the name of the movie in big letters. Standing in front was a tall man in a doorman's uniform. Now the prices in west end cinemas were about three or four times higher than your local flee pit. "How much are.the seats?" I asked. He had an irish accent which I immiediatly felt at home with coming from a nothumbrian pit village which was full of irish families. After a little banter with him I went inside to find the movie about half way through. That's what you did in those days.
About a year later in Plymouth I see THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS and recognise an irish actor who comes in near the end. For years I tell friends I may have met Stephen Boyd, although I was never sure if he worked at the Odeon, now I know.
My mother saw the trade show in Newcastle of MAN WHO NEVER WAS and told me about a young actor who was in it was there and how the young women flocked around him in the foyer. I think it was his north irish accent that perhaps held him back and made him play villians. it is very hard whereas the southern accent is softer. I think Nearson has softened his somewhat. Boyd will always be a star because of BEN HUR. I did meet his co star Charlton Heston in later years and Mr Cushan, he was not a "s***".

Four Square Media 50 X Single Slimline DVD Clear Case 7mm Spine - Pack of 50
Four Square Media 50 X Single Slimline DVD Clear Case 7mm Spine - Pack of 50
Offered by Four Square Media

5.0 out of 5 stars First Class, 17 Jun. 2016
I prefer these thin cases as they take up far less room. These are first class, arrived nicely packaged and very. very quickly.

Blue Bloods: The First Season -DVD Box Set 6 Disc (Import - Asia)
Blue Bloods: The First Season -DVD Box Set 6 Disc (Import - Asia)

5.0 out of 5 stars STILL THE BEST SERIES ON TV., 28 April 2016
This series continues to be so good, yet it could be even better. Each episode seems to have three stories and they are good, but I find them too
Much for the 40 minute running time. If only they would elaberate more on either one or two I feel we would become more involved. One more fault, the actress that plays Jamie's partner, I do not understand a word she says, she talks far too fast. This is getting quite common these days, actors have so little stage experience these days and the young talk so fast, I have a son and only understand half what he says.
Thnk

Young Orson: The Years of Luck and Genius on the Path to Citizen Kane
Young Orson: The Years of Luck and Genius on the Path to Citizen Kane
by Patrick McGilligan

5.0 out of 5 stars A DAMN GOOD READ., 20 Feb. 2016
I think I have every book ever written about Orson Welles and this may be the very best! Why? Perhaps it's just the way this author writes, I know I'm really enjoying it (almost finished). The writer makes his life so excitng, well it was! This book only covers his very early years as a boy and his irish venture and his early theatre ventures in New York. In his very early 20s he too Broadway by storm. There has been 4 movies made of his adventures so far and inside this book are at least two more they could do. We already have the actor to portray him Christian McKay. When I saw him portraying Welles in "Me and Orson Welles" it almost made me believe in reincarnation! Getting back to this book, I found it a damn good read.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 17, 2016 8:10 AM GMT

The Devil's Disciple [Blu-ray] [1959]
The Devil's Disciple [Blu-ray] [1959]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

3.0 out of 5 stars SHOUTS OUT FOR COLOUR, 29 Jan. 2016
If only the producers could have afforded to make this on colour, it would have made more money particularly now and would have been much better looked on. Still it's fairly good with 3 of my favourite stars. Supporting cast pretty good too. But it shouts out for colour!

Live In London
Live In London

5.0 out of 5 stars PEGGY, HIGH PRIESTESS OF SONG., 21 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Live In London (Audio CD)
Wonderful package. Peggy can do now wrong and this package is a wonderful idea. Only had the TV show but only from vhs, so the dvd is a great find, and has always been my favourte Peggy video, remember reading at the time how she liked the Band so much she was going to order champaigne after the show to thank them, but they said they preferred a beer? So she ordered two barrels of the stuff. She made some very happy musicians, very happy musicians.

Sinatra: The Chairman
Sinatra: The Chairman
by James Kaplan

5.0 out of 5 stars A TALENTED S.O.B., 19 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Sinatra: The Chairman (Hardcover)
When I reviewed "Frank, The Making of a Legend" wrote that all the detail that Mr Kaplan puts in there was enough material for a further two books. This book proves it, although it does include his death the last 25 years of his life comes to one small chapter? No mention is made of his ban in Australia, yet at the time it made world headlines and even a movie was made of it. I would have liked to have read more of the family relationship to his fourth wife. The likes of Steve Lawrence who toured with him must have had some great stories.
But saying all that the book is absolutely great! I loved every page and was sorry when I finished it. I did think Frank turned into a real S.O.B in his 40s, a talented S.O.B. but an S.O.B. nevertheless and I'm pleased never met him although I was a fan from 1944. While I'm at it I want to put right about him playing to half empty houses in England in 53. I went to Blackpool thinking he was playing a week there and found out he was just doing two performances on the Sunday night. I managed to get the very last ticket, which was for the fisrt performance. In the programmed it stated "he has just finished a motion picture titled From Here To Eternity in which he plays an american tough guy." Well as we know it was a little more than that. He did play Liverpool the following week to reported half empty houses. But Liverpool was never a musical city, look who came from there a few years later. They changed music for the worse for decades. If only we had the imformation in those days we can have now, I would have spent my week in Liverpool. Getting back to the book Mr Kaplan does love his music, and really knows the great from the indifferent. By far the best books ever written about Mr S.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 24, 2016 4:37 PM GMT

PICNIC (1955) BD (Region B)
PICNIC (1955) BD (Region B)
Offered by GREAT4DVD

4.0 out of 5 stars A CLASS MOVIE, GETS THE TREATMENT IT DESERVES, WELL ALMOST!, 16 Jan. 2016
Have always rated this movie highly and it's even better now in blu ray. One small disapointment, it originall was intended for road show release and an overture was made. It was decided not to road show it and the overture was not used. But it did turn up for the laser disc release, and I was disapionted they did not include it for the blu ray, after all blu ray discs are special! After all when you view an overture it feels special. Only TV omits them. For now! Some day they will include them, like they eventually showed them n widescreen. The movie deserves 5 stars for the dance sequence alone, but I will stick to four because of the missing overture.

My Fair Lady - Remastered (Region B) 50th Anniversary Edition
My Fair Lady - Remastered (Region B) 50th Anniversary Edition
Offered by Acid Vibes

5.0 out of 5 stars AT LAST A GREAT BLU RAY!, 5 Jan. 2016
Wonderful blu ray reproduction. At last this movie is getting the treatment it has long deserved. Thank you to those who gave us the good news about this on their amazon write ups. Every scene looks so much better, Higgins' house, all the books etc stand out so much you almost feel you can touch them. After reading the reviews and the good news re this release I ordered it at once and I'm not disapointed.

North V South [DVD]
North V South [DVD]
Dvd ~ Freema Agyeman

1.0 out of 5 stars Rotten movie about rotten people., 29 Dec. 2015
This review is from: North V South [DVD] (DVD)
Did not find one character l liked, difficult to understand what the actors were saying, went for sutitles but there wasn't any. Spent a horrible 90 minutes viewing it. Dreadfull. It could have done with a Charlie Bronson or a Liam Neerson to wipe them all out.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8