Profile for S. J. Cowtan > Reviews

Orchard Toys Shopping List
Orchard Toys Shopping List
Price: 4.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Good game to grow with, 13 July 2012
This review is from: Orchard Toys Shopping List (Toy)
My daughter's not much over 2 but we are already enjoying this game because the theme is something she can strongly relate to, and it is easy to alter the rules to make it playable by children who don't yet have the patience for memory games. At the moment all the shopping tiles are in a little cloth bag (anything non-see-through would do, but I had cloth bags handy) and we take turns to draw a tile, then compare it with both shopping lists to see if either of us wants it, and put it aside if we don't. When she's ready I'll move on to putting it back in the bag if the drawer doesn't want it for herself, and after that try laying them out as in the full game but leaving tiles we don't want face up. Unless of course she makes a big leap forward :)

Playing (Baby Board Books)
Playing (Baby Board Books)
by Helen Oxenbury

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely little book, 12 April 2011
Lovely little book full of classic toddler toys, like cardboard boxes and push-along carts. Note that this book has no text at all - great for any language then! Just pictures, the toy alone on the left page, a baby playing with it on the right. A big hit with my 13-month-old.

Baby Busy Books: Froggy Hops!
Baby Busy Books: Froggy Hops!
by Stephen Barker
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars My 7 month old daughter adores this book, 20 Oct 2010
We've had it out from the library for an embarassing number of weeks. Now buying her own copy! She grew into it from about 5 months and loves the pop-up chicks and the snail the best.

Thunderbird Falls
Thunderbird Falls
by C. E. Murphy
Price: 11.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Heroines are fallible, too, 14 Aug 2006
This review is from: Thunderbird Falls (Paperback)
It's really hard to know what to say about this book that won't spoiler the plot. It's edge-of-the-seat stuff: the tension builds with awful inevitability towards the ten-car pile-up of a denouement. You're riding in the eleventh car; do you crash and burn? Does Jo destroy the world (or at least Seattle) even as she is trying to learn to use her shamanic gift to heal it? I'm not going to tell you. Because I'm mean. So buy it.

Winter Moon
Winter Moon
by Mercedes Lackey

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting read, 14 Aug 2006
This review is from: Winter Moon (Paperback)
I'll echo the other reviewer: this is an excellent collection of novellas. I picked it up because I'm mad keen on C.E. Murphy; her story in this book slots into her Walker Paper series between Urban Shaman and Thunderbird Falls, and gives insight into Jo's family background, as well as being a tense page-turner of an adventure.

I've not been that keen on the other two authors in the past, but found their stories in this book very readable and enjoyable.

Well worth the money, I'll read this again.