Profile for Justin S. Whitaker > Reviews

Content by Justin S. Whitaker

Justin S. Whitaker (Bristol, England)

4" Portable Retro USB Fan - BLACK - Light-Weight Portable Desk Fan (4 inch)
4" Portable Retro USB Fan - BLACK - Light-Weight Portable Desk Fan (4 inch)
Offered by G-Hub

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. Light-weight, cheap, and cheerful., 29 July 2014
I bought this along with one of the more expensive metal USB fans (to see if the metal one would be stronger). I've had both for a couple weeks now and can't see any difference in performance. The metal one is actually a bit louder and vibrates and twists on some surfaces (like the wood of a desk). This plastic one has soft rubber 'feet' underneath, keeping it quiet and in place. Both give a decent air-flow, gentle but noticeable at 2-4 feet.

iTALKonline Black Retro Silent Office / Home Light-Weight USB Powered Metal Desktop Fan Cooler - Laptop, NetBook, Computer, MacBook
Offered by Muchkey

3.0 out of 5 stars It works, but I'd go with a cheaper, lighter, all-plastic version instead., 29 July 2014
I bought this alongside one of the cheaper all-plastic versions you can get here, wondering if the metal blades would make it a bit stronger in terms of air-flow. I've had both for a couple weeks now and can't really tell a difference in terms of performance.

Pros: it works as well as the cheaper one.
Cons: it is heavier
the smooth metal base vibrates on some surfaces and twists
it cost more.

Supergets® HTC Wildfire S G13 Black PU Leather Case, Screen Protector and Polishing Cloth

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap - but good for the price, 7 Jan. 2012
For the money, this is a great case for the wildfire. It is snug and secure and well protected. The stylus works just fine and the volume/power buttons are still easily accessible. The one drawback/design flaw is that the headphone jack is covered by the magnetic flap that closes it. So I had to get out scissors and cut out a chunk of that in order to use earphones while the case is closed. When I did that, I saw that the leather is incredibly thin/cheap with paper/cardboard sandwiched in between. Again, not a huge deal considering the very low price, but I would say that you shouldn't expect this product to last too long.

Supergets HTC Wildfire S Black Hydro Gel Case, Screen Protector And Polishing Cloth

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely worth buying, 24 Sept. 2011
I bought this right after getting my wildfire S and I'm glad I did. It fits on perfectly and creates a perfectly durable and attractive cover. The screen protector is another great bonus. You'll have to remove it and put it back on any time you want to access your battery, sim card, or memory, but that probably won't be too often and it's no major inconvenience.

PROS: cheap, protects well, fits snugly, looks good, covers volume/power buttons too

CONS: Slight loss of sensitivity with the screen protector (but not enough to take it off), and slight increase in difficulty pushing volume/power buttons, but again not a big deal.

What the Buddha Thought (Oxford Centre for Buddhist Studies Monographs)
What the Buddha Thought (Oxford Centre for Buddhist Studies Monographs)
by Richard Gombrich

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking and original, 1 Aug. 2011
When I saw that the book had just a 3-star average rating (based on two previous reviews), I figured I should chime in with a few words. First of all, the book IS excellent, well worth 5 stars.

I've had the book for over a year now and used it in a "Buddhist Philosophy" university course. I think it is best read by someone who has done some preliminary reading on early Buddhism. I used Paul Williams' "Buddhist Thought" to give a broader context to the material, and the two books work together very well. Gombrich's first couple chapters are indeed 'introductory' and tend to follow accepted academic work, but what he packs into those chapters is pretty extraordinary! He provides not just a translation of some key teachings and explanation, but a *way* of interpreting and understanding Buddhist teachings.

The rest of the book consists mostly of probing inquiries into certain 'puzzling' aspects of Buddhist thought, and some puzzling aspects of current scholarship. These chapters give systematic insight into teachings such as "no-soul" and the practice of metta (loving-kindness). You also get a look at how the Buddha taught, his use of metaphor and even satire.

What I liked most about the book is that I didn't feel like I was told "what to think" - but instead encouraged to re-think for myself how I understand the Buddha's teachings. Definitely a must read for practitioners who have already done some basic academic reading on the subject as well as academics looking for a fresh perspective.

And for what it's worth, it recently won a Choice Outstanding Academic Title award 2010 (check the publisher website for more on that).

Koolpak Reusable Hot/Cold Pack
Koolpak Reusable Hot/Cold Pack
Offered by Gelpacksdirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Cools quickly, stays cold, 20 July 2011
What can I say? It's a simple product and it works well. It remains flexible when frozen, so it can wrap around a sore knee or shoulder. I haven't tried it hot yet, but I assume it works well hot too.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shirts, 4 July 2011
These are great shirts and they arrived promptly. As for the size, I typically wear a medium or large t-shirt, so given the recommendations here I bought them in the Large size. They fit perfectly. They're not quite as snug as my medium t-shirts, but very close. Thanks all for the 'buy a size larger' suggestions.