Profile for Helen Robson > Reviews

Helen Robson

The Library
The Library

2.0 out of 5 stars Rough draft published!, 13 April 2014
This review is from: The Library (Kindle Edition)
Having read the summary of this story I thought it was a wonderful idea, and credit to Amy Cross to coming up with such an alternative landscape.

Initially characters were well fleshed-out, and I was completely absorbed by the setting. However, as I got to about quarter of the way through the book typos started to appear, at first infrequently, but then pretty much every couple of pages. Then after the first half of the story a character's name changed (obviously the author had though better of the name, but not used the facility to change that one word through out the whole document.

The story trailed off part way through the book, and very much felt like a first draft. I'm convinced that if Amy did some sturdy re-writes this could be an excellent story, but I believe that she has rushed to get it published, and due to Amazon's auto-edit for Kindle (where a human being is not involved in the editing process) a unfinished document has reached publication.

The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Teen angst but with good lessons in living life., 13 April 2014
John is one of those wonderful writer's who despite being incredibly intelligent doesn't over-complicate the language used in the book. Dialogue is simple and believable. The story's pace is perfect. Yet, John still manages to convey some complicated issues without alienating the the broad spectrum of readers who will come to this book.

This is a wonderful story, with moments of wit and heart break.

The Yellow Wallpaper
The Yellow Wallpaper

4.0 out of 5 stars A certain moment gets under your skin., 13 April 2014
Having purchased this on Kindle, my only disappointment with this story was that it was of novella length, which Amazon had not advertised. However, I enjoyed how the setting was conveyed and one moment in the story really got under my skin.

Poirot and the Regatta Mystery: A Hercule Poirot Short Story
Poirot and the Regatta Mystery: A Hercule Poirot Short Story

2.0 out of 5 stars Too brief and no depth., 13 April 2014
Having read other Agatha Christie Novels, I was looking forward to delving into a story that I had not heard of. Unfortunately Amazon had not advertised this book as a novella. So, having purchased it on kindle was disappointed to come to the end of the story within minutes.

There was not enough time to develop any of the mystery subtlety that would normally come with a Christie story.

I don't really judge Christie for my lack of enjoyment. I presume it was one of the stories she churned out for a bit of dosh, but I feel that it is Amazon's responsibility to make it clear when the book is only of novella length.