Profile for DAVID WHEATER > Reviews

Content by DAVID WHEATER

DAVID WHEATER

Wired Differently: 33 Reasons Why Some Entrepreneurs Are More Successful Than Others
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read for aspiring entrepreneurs, 12 July 2014
A well written and concise analysis of the common traits shared by many successful entrepreneurs. If you're interested in why some make it and some don't, it's certainly a worthwhile read. Dogged persistence and being able to bounce back from every failure or disappointment is absolutely essential for success.

Fireangel CO-9D Digital Sealed for Life Carbon Monoxide Alarm
Fireangel CO-9D Digital Sealed for Life Carbon Monoxide Alarm
Price: 21.07

3.0 out of 5 stars Packaging insufficient for a sensitive electronic alarm., 27 Jan 2014
I was disappointed to have this alarm arrive in just the usual Amazon cardboard sleeve. This might be adequate for a book, but it certainly isn't sensible for a delicate electronic alarm that is designed to save lives. My postman thought it was a book and just threw it into our hall. There was nothing at all on the packaging to say that it contained sensitive electronic equipment that should be "handled with care". Please can you at least put it in bubble wrap or something to cushion it from the inevitable blows it will get in transit. Although it was a good price I'll be buying future alarms from our well know DIY shed.

Be a Free Range Human: Escape the 9-5, Create a Life You Love and Still Pay the Bills
Price: 7.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 27 Nov 2013
Very Inspiring and motivational. I think it's important to point out, however, that this is not a book about creating a business. It's about creating and living the life you want and creating enough money to support that lifestyle. It takes lots of courage, hard work and creativity to walk away from the corporate world. I did it and it's been a roller-coaster of a ride! When you do leave your job please be very, very careful about the "job you give yourself". Marianne is absolutely right that you cannot succeed unless you have a passion, burning deep within your soul, for what you do. It's the only way you're going to have the drive and energy to achieve the "expert status" you'll really need to succeed. You cannot be shy and retiring either. One way or another you're going to have to be comfortable with selling yourself and your expertise. We live in a world where nearly everything depends on a sale from the houses we live in to the clothes we wear and the food we eat. Whatever you do will involve selling yourself, your personality and expertise, so please be up for this before you jump. It's also vital that you surround yourself with good friends and lots of social interaction, as working on your own can be very lonely and isolating. No man is an Island - truly. If you know what your passion is, I agree with Marianne to play with it and make a prototype. Just get on with it! Keep your job and simply dip your toe in the water. If there's a market for your expertise and you're making good money, just leap and get on with it. Marianne so rightly asks "if you had only one life, what would you do with it? " Have a good think about this clever question - you're only here for a heartbeat in the life of planet earth. Build, create and live. There are no days to kill. Be proud of yourself and persevere with your passions. Be brave, tell your story and make other people's lives better. Also, please don't play the "when then game" ie when I have a nicer, car, house, girlfriend, job etc then I'll be happy. Discontentment seems to be one of the biggest diseases of our time. Happiness is found in the journey, not the destination. LEAP!

Riding the Storm
Riding the Storm
Price: 6.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking and Inspiring, 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: Riding the Storm (Kindle Edition)
I'm a small business owner who has struggled over the last few years. It's a lonely and difficult life at times, but also hugely rewarding too. Duncan's book, Riding The Storm, is an incredibly intimate and honest account of his divorce and business difficulties over the last few years. Even though my business is tiny compared to his, I take great inspiration from the way he's dealt with his refinancing problems and his strength and willingness to tackle problems head on is a lesson to us all. The simple truth is that we desperately need more jobs in this country and it's entrepreneurs like Duncan who create them. His incredible commitment to extremely worthwhile charities comes across really strongly in this book. He gives of his time and not just money. His very difficult journey up Kilimanjaro, which he almost didn't survive, says it all. I am proud to live in a country that can produce such a kind, thoughtful and compassionate man. We all want to leave a legacy and the world a better place and Duncan is doing more than most.

It takes courage to share such intimate and painful experiences about business and relationships so publicly. I'm sure that his recovery and strength will help many others going through similarly painful times, to pull through and come out the other side happier and content. I have no doubt that he will find great happiness again.

I agree with Duncan that Dragons Den can make small business owners, like myself, feel very small, inconsequential and inadequate. I sometimes don't watch the show now because I always find myself comparing myself to them and the successes on the show and feel down. It's nice to hear Duncan champion small businesses and I'm grateful for that recognition. There's a lot of us about and we all have our stories to tell. It would be really nice to see a show that really champions and inspires small businesses which are the lifeblood of our economy - they are the real heroes.

I know that Duncan will find happiness and great business success in the next few years. His indomitable spirit and passion for his family and good causes will inspire him always. I read somewhere that you must be the change you want to see in the world and Duncan epitomises this.