Profile for Tablet_Surfer > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Severed Souls: A Richard and Kahlan Novel
Severed Souls: A Richard and Kahlan Novel

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant but not the end ...................., 7 Sept. 2015
I can say two things about this book.

1. I loved it from start to finish - yes it repeats things but I didn't find that distracted from the story at all. Some culling of characters but that's to be expected as the series is coming to a final end(?) and leaving everyone alive is unrealistic.

2. I didn't realise this wasn't the last in the series so was getting closer and closer to the end thinking what's going to happen - there's loads of things to sort out and only a few pages to go. However Warheart due in November is the last book (apparently) so it will obviously all be covered then. Can't wait for it to be published.

Brilliant book.

The Third Kingdom (Sword of Truth 13)
The Third Kingdom (Sword of Truth 13)
by Terry Goodkind

5.0 out of 5 stars Rivetting and Sets Things Up Nicely for the future, 7 Sept. 2015
After reading The Omen Machine and being disappointed this is very much a return to form.

As others have said Terry has a style of writing that is very easy to digest and I found this book really drew me back into the series with great new characters and locations.

It is essentially yet another tale of discovering new baddies in a previously cut-off piece of the land (as per pretty much all of the series) but that didn't make it any less gripping and I really couldn't put this down. It rolls along nicely and you can see that it's setting up for a series-ending climax in the next book (or so I thought!).

The Omen Machine
The Omen Machine

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the Best Omen for the next in the series, 7 Sept. 2015
This review is from: The Omen Machine (Paperback)
I must admit I liked the book but I didn't think it was up to Terry's usual standard. Agree with other comments it's too short and the ending is confusing and abrupt. It is however gripping and does lead onto better things.

The next 2 books Third Kingdom and Severed Souls which I went straight onto are much better - I've reviewed these elsewhere.

Still worth getting so you can understand the next book but not the best.

Debt of Bones (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Debt of Bones (GOLLANCZ S.F.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Short but Great, 7 Sept. 2015
As everyone else has said too short but - it's sold as a short story! what d'ya expect?

And as usual it's as unputdownable as everything else Terry Goodkind has written - and I've now read everything in the series apart from 1st Confessor and Warheart (hope to get these from Santa).

5 stars for the story, 1 off for it being very short and really just an overnight read.

Motorola Moto E 4G 2nd Generation SIM-Free Smartphone
Motorola Moto E 4G 2nd Generation SIM-Free Smartphone
Offered by TECH SENSE

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable for the price, 19 May 2015
I bought one of these as a backup pohne to my Nexus 5 (which is still a brilliant phone) as I wanted something cheap that had stock Android 5 on it and 4G. I could have got a Moto G for a little bit more but really there's not a lot more it gives you that I need.

To put this into context you get a phone that is as good as flagships 3-4 years ago (not far off my all-time favourite S2) with 4G. There's nothing outstanding about it - display is good, perfomance good enough, storage fine for a back-up etc etc. I think you get the point - it's about £100 and anyone complaining that it doesn't have tbis feature or that feature is missing the point entirely.

I find I can change from my Nexus 5 to this and not really miss much (maybe the flashlight but that's about it). If you want lots of features spend more and get them - at this price there's notihng out there to touch it.

Best budget phone around - no question.

Microsoft Surface 3 64GB/2GB RAM Essentials Bundle (Keyboard,pen& Maroo Leather Folio for Surface 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but expensive when you add on essentials, 29 April 2015
Took the plunge a few weeks ago after using a Yoga 3 11 for a while as wanted something that could be used as a pure tablet as well as a laptop. I've used an iPad Air for a while too and although it's a great device it's not suitable for my work needs.

I have to say the screen and pen are fabulous and with the kick stand and type cover it's a very flexible product - being able to use touch, pen, mouse, with/without keyboard is great and is has become my main device for most home and work things.

However there are some things that need improving and work better on other devices:

Price: It's expensive even in this basic version. You really have to add the type cover (unless you want an expensive tablet that isn't as good an an iPad - see later) and a mouse and more micro SD storage and a cover/case etc. All told I've spent over £750 on this lot.

Spec/Storage: It's fine for me performance wise but really does need more storage. However as the 128GB version is a lot more expensive I expect a lot of people did what I did - get a micro SD card straight way. However this still means my internal 64GB storage has less that 20GB free after installing Office and a couple of other apps - even with putting all data and all the apps I could onto my micro SD card. 128GB really should be the base here.

Apps: Not bad but as a long-term iPad user there is still a gap in what iOS and Windows apps deliver - quite a few of the Windows apps I've installed just aren't as easy to use or are missing features when compared to iOS - eBay is a good example of this.

Browsing: Again the IE11 Metro app is good but I still prefer Safari on my iPad - it's just simpler/quicker to operate and with IE11 there's often an annoying pause when you go back to a previous page - something that doesn't happen on my iPad on the same network.

However I still think that as a device trying to cover all bases there isn't anything to beat it out there - it isn't the best pure laptop or the best pure tablet out there but is the only device I've used that is good enough in both respects.

I just wish it was cheaper and/or came bundled with essential accessories.

Navitech Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Black Leather Case / Cover Fits With Type & Touch Cover
Offered by North Laine Accessories

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay for the price but fiddly to use, 2 April 2015
This is a very cheap case so my expectations were not very high and given the desgin of the Surface with Type Cover it's very difficult to get a case that can protect it and still allow all of the Surface features to be used.

Good points:

Looks nice when on and will do a decent job of protecting my Surface Pro 3.

Can use Type Cover with the case on (but see bad points).

It's cheap but not nasty - the quality is fine and it doesn't feel flimsy.

Bad points:

It's fiddly to use as to use the kickstand you need to seperate the case back from the back which is held on by a velcro strip. This does work but it means you can't just open up the Surface with the type cover on and just start working - you need to fiddle with the velcro so you can open up the kickstand. So it's no better really than just buying a folio case that just covers front and back.

Without type cover it's useless as it won't hold the Surface in without it. I find myself taking my Surface out of the case when I went to use it as a tablet which is defeating the purpose really.

Summary:

Reasonble as it's so cheap, if you always use the type cover and can put up with fiddling about a bit with the kickstand. If not there are better cases but they are way more expensive.

Trumpet Players Toolkit

Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bryan Cranston
Offered by Assai-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars It's too good!, 25 Sept. 2014
The problem with Breaking Bad is that it is so good.

I love things like Homeland, 24 etc but watching them after this they just seems flat in comparison.

So I'll keep it short and say never seen anything like it and it will be a long time before anything as good as this comes along again.

Cherish this series - it will be remembered as a landmark in television in the future.

Trendworx 1884 Key Finder "myTracker"
Trendworx 1884 Key Finder "myTracker"
Offered by GreatGadgets

2.0 out of 5 stars Battery covers won't stay on properly, 11 April 2014
Once the initial battry runs down for each fob it's very difficult to get the battery covers off and they don't go back on securely. I've had to cellotape them on for now.

When working it's fine for finding the keys but poor design and wouldn't buy again.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3