Profile for M. F. Webb > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Guitar Fretboard Addict FREE
Guitar Fretboard Addict FREE

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent way to learn the guitar fretboard, 11 Dec 2014
This review is from: Guitar Fretboard Addict FREE (App)
An excellent way to learn the guitar fretboard. The free version only covers the first 3 frets -- enough to get you started but in order to progress up the fretboard you need to purchase the full version. Well worth the free download and the small cost to upgrade.

Chet Atkins: Certified Guitar Player
Chet Atkins: Certified Guitar Player
by Country Music Hall of Fame

5.0 out of 5 stars A Collector's Item, 13 Oct 2014
I have both the Kindle Edition and the paper-back edition (delivered today). As a life-long fan of Chet Atkins I added this book to my collection for posterity even though most of what is in it has been published elsewhere before, particularly in Chet’s semi-autobiography “Me and My Guitars”.
Nevertheless it is a superbly-produced book charting (briefly) the life-story of Chet Atkins in the words of many people who knew him best. This book was published as a companion to a special year-long Chet Atkins Exhibition at the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville in 2011-12. Well worth a five star rating for the Book. Had I been reviewing the Kindle Edition separately, however, it would have only merited four stars, even from a dedicated fan like me, as the text of some of the published letters in the book is unreadable in the Kindle Edition.

BoxWave EverTouch QuickClick Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7.0 (2013) Capacitive Stylus (2-Pack) (Ruby)
Offered by BoxWave Corporation

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best Stylus Ever, 11 Oct 2014
Although these may appear a little expensive, they are by far the best stylus I have used for my KindleFire HDX. They feel substantial in the hand and the mesh cover on the tip gives a better interaction with the screen than cheaper models. The cheaper models I have tried are made of cheap aluminium, are very light and do not slide properly on the screen.
The only downside is that the first one I bought only lasted about 6 months before the mesh started fraying. I have now bought 4 so I am stocked up for a while.

Brian May's Red Special
Brian May's Red Special
by Simon Bradley

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a Fan of Brian May's Guitar Playing ---BUT, 11 Oct 2014
Let me declare at the outset I am not a fan of Brian May’s guitar playing – on a scale of “take-it-or-leave-it” I would most definitely leave it. I am however a great fan of what he has achieved, especially in building his own guitar as a teenager with his dad and playing it for 50 years. I also have a great love of guitars generally, although I am not a player, so I looked forward to the publication of this book. It did not disappoint.
It is exactly as it is described – the story of the guitar that rocked the world. Anyone expecting this to be an autobiography of Brian May will likely be disappointed. It is quite technical in its presentation of every aspect of the design, development and building of the “Red Special” and those not particularly interested in the technical side of guitars may find it a little hard-going.
It has many pictures of Brian May and Queen, and has a complete chapter on Brian May’s involvement with HM the Queen’s Jubilee celebrations in 2002 and his playing of the National Anthem from the roof of Buckingham Palace.
Packed with stunning photographs, x-ray pictures and diagrams of the Red Special and photos of his on-stage performances, this book presents a beautiful history of a unique instrument, and its maker, which is firmly fixed in musical history.
I was tempted to give this book the full five stars but I have just one criticism – the print is quite small and I found it difficult to read in anything but full daylight. So my rating is, sadly, only four stars.

GedFamilies
GedFamilies

4.0 out of 5 stars GedFamilies on KindleFireHDX, 27 April 2014
This review is from: GedFamilies (App)
I wanted a programme similar to GedView which my wife has on her iPad. This was the only one I could find for the Kindle. I have to say I am delighted with it once I got it installed.

There are a couple of negative points which resulted in my only giving it 4 stars instead of 5:-

1. The GedFamilies sync programme does not appear to work as it should:- the conversion tab works to convert GedCom to the required format for the Kindle but the sync tabs do not work -- "sync via wifi" and "sync via USB" will not show the device as connected. I had to resort to using Windows Explorer to find the converted file then drag it into the GedFamilies folder on the Kindle.

2. The writing in the programme is on the small side (for me at any rate) and there is no facility to increase the font size.

If the developers read these reviews then maybe they will consider incorporating a bigger font or the ability to increase the font size in the next update.

Apart from these 2 negatives, I would have given this programme the full 5 stars.

iogear GUB211W6 - 2-Port USB 2.0 Printer auto - Sharing Switch - Warranty: 3Y
iogear GUB211W6 - 2-Port USB 2.0 Printer auto - Sharing Switch - Warranty: 3Y
Offered by Stuff-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars IOGEAR USB Printer sharing switch, 6 Oct 2012
I bought this having failed miserably to connect 2 desktop computers to a single printer using MS network. This gadget works exactly as it says. Send a document to print from either computer and the gadget switches automatically without any user intervention. Brilliant.

Offered by Desire IT

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Universal Friction Mount, 6 Oct 2012
Garmin Universal Friction Mount for 700/600/300/200 series

Bought this after seeing it on a friend's dashboard. He was delighted with it and so am I. I have a Garmin Nuvi 300 (bought in 2006 and I am delighted with that too) and it fits perfectly with no hint of movement or wobble. There is also an adjustable lock for the base so you can twist the SatNav around to any convenient position to avoid the 4 "wings" on the beanbag. Highly recommended and well worth the money even if at first sight it seems a little expensive compared to some cheaper alternatives. (Read some of the reviews on the cheaper alternatives if you think this is expensive).

HP P1102 LaserJet Pro Laser Printer
HP P1102 LaserJet Pro Laser Printer
Offered by Inkubus Bargains

4.0 out of 5 stars If you want a proper duplex capability, look elsewhere!, 5 Jun 2012
I bought this very quickly on the spur of the moment to replace an HP 1320 which packed up suddenly after about 6 years. I bought it for its duplex capability which I use often and which was an excellent feature of the 1320. Set-up was very easy and build and print quality are excellent. AND, it was cheap -- as cheap as the spare HP cartridge I bought at the same time.

There are 2 cons for me:-

1. Duplex printing. This is manual but it doesn't say so in the up-front specs. You have to take the first printed sides out of the tray and put them back in the paper tray. This is no big deal BUT on the 1102 the paper doesn't alwys feed back into the paper path straight, resulting in a slanting second page. This was not a problem on the 1320 which fed the paper back in automatically for printing the second side. I should also say that I can feed paper back into my inkjet printer for second side printing with no registration problems and have been able to do so with other non-duplex printers. It is all to do with how the paper is held in the paper tray.

2. The print cartridges are low capacity, only 1600 pages compared with 6,000 on a high capacity replacement for the 1320. Compatible cartridges can be bought for around £20 on the internet (HP brand cost around £60).

I was tempted to only give this printer 3 stars because of my 2 cons but, to be fair, I should have looked more closely and paid a bit more for a "proper" duplex printer.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 8, 2014 12:10 PM GMT

Mitchells Wool Fat Shaving Soap Refill (125 g)
Mitchells Wool Fat Shaving Soap Refill (125 g)
Offered by Marmaduke The Cat

5.0 out of 5 stars MWF -- simply the best, 17 Jan 2012
This is just the best shaving soap I have ever used and it certainly lives up to all the hype. I chose to buy just the refill to begin with and use my own plastic screw-lid container -- added a teaspoonful of hot water to the container and stuck the soap in the bottom.

I had no trouble whatsoever in getting an immediate lather (some people elsewhere say it is difficult to lather -- not so!! Perfect lather every time with 4 different brushes -- synthetic, boar bristle, boar/badger mix and Super badger. If I was being really highly critical I would say the boar/badger mix brush is ever so slightly easier to lather.

I am so delighted that my next order will be for the bowl as well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2012 2:07 PM GMT

Track Down Your Ancestors: How to Research Your Family History Using Archives and the Internet
by Estelle Catlett

5.0 out of 5 stars Track Down Your Ancestors, 29 July 2011
I bought the first edition of this book in 1988 just as I was starting out on my family history research. It is still to this day the best book I have ever read for a new family history researcher. I followed the author's guidance on record-keeping (paper records at the time) and I have maintained the same system although I have now updated those records onto my computer. Highly recommended for those just embarking on this fascinating hobby.

Page: 1 | 2