Profile for Isabel > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Stories
The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Stories

5.0 out of 5 stars the other stories, 9 Feb. 2015
Glad I didn't just buy the Yellow Wallpaper (which I knew already anyway). Those other stories say so much they deserve a hearing!

Short Stories for Long Nights
Short Stories for Long Nights

5.0 out of 5 stars trompe l'oeil, 4 Feb. 2015
These stories are trompe l'oeil in fiction - tales, each with something to say, that cannot possibly be true but have the ring of truth throughout them. The author uses a wonderful blend of reality, fantasy, pathos and humour to put up a good fight against hypocrisy and cruelty. What is more, they're a jolly good read!

Why Shakespeare WAS Shakespeare (Kindle Singles)
Why Shakespeare WAS Shakespeare (Kindle Singles)

5.0 out of 5 stars Much more convincing, 19 Dec. 2014
This is much more convincing than Alexander Waugh's foolish effort.
I read Waugh's book from curiosity. This book I bought because I looked to find sense, and I did. Facts are preferable to theories. I still believe that the plays are more important than knowing who wrote them but then it is books I love, not authors. Thank you, Stanley Wells, for an interesting book. I shall no doubt forget your name, but your words are now in my memory. And I can turn to my Kindle bookshelf when the name escapes me.

Shakespeare in Court (Kindle Single)
Shakespeare in Court (Kindle Single)

2.0 out of 5 stars for a variety of reasons, 16 Oct. 2014
For a variety of reasons I can give this work no more than two stars.

Top of the list is the cringe-making effort to present what is possibly a very cogent argument. It has always puzzled me how Shakespeare, living and working in London, could have what seems a normal family life in Stratford. The learning in his plays could quite well be secondhand experience acquired from books, but where did he get the books from? So I am in no way disagreeing with the author's arguments. I just don't think his "court case" is a sufficiently scholarly presentation. The dialogue sounds bitchy on both sides of the argument.

From a totally different, subjective viewpoint, I don't care who wrote the plays. As a child, I only learnt the names of authors so I could find the books I wanted on library shelves. Knowledge of the lives of authors can actually interfere with the reader's pleasure in their books. A good book is always more important than its author. Any serious writer would prefer writing a famous book to being a famous author.

I had a holiday in Stratford many years ago. What I best remember of it was opening my eyes in a rowing boat on the Avon and feeling alarmed at finding a swan gazing down at me. Then on the bank two water rats playing tumbled into the river. And, oh yes, seeing Peter O'Toole playing Shylock.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2014 10:46 PM GMT

Under Gaslight (Kindle Single)
Under Gaslight (Kindle Single)

5.0 out of 5 stars more like truth than fiction, 30 Sept. 2014
This book about a soldier returning near to death from fighting in the trenches in the First World War reads more like truth than fiction. That truth is heavy as lead. But the love and the caring also have truth in them. And the characters are decent people struggling to survive. Love is the light in their darkness, symbolised by the grandmother's lantern. The sleaze of modern TV soaps, with their superimposed gutter view of working class morality, is totally absent from it. It seems closer to reality than they do. And it still succeeds in being a very compelling read. The interspersed memories of happier times lift the gloom without denying the existence of bad times and sweated labour. I liked the ending but to talk about that would be a spoiler.

1913: The Eve of War
1913: The Eve of War

5.0 out of 5 stars How could they?, 22 Sept. 2014
I have always found it incredible that one human being could decide to kill another. This book made me aware of how astonishing it is that a select few could decide to kill so many, and that so many were willing to go and kill and be killed. An accidental war, stumbled into would be bad enough. A war against an evil regime with a wicked dictator I can see as necessary and just. But war for war's sake is incredible. This book gave a different dimension to my knowledge. I was moved by it.

I Murdered My Library (Kindle Single)
I Murdered My Library (Kindle Single)

5.0 out of 5 stars that final paragraph, 26 May 2014
Tried to murder my own library a while ago. Feel fortunate that I largely failed. There is something chilling about the cliff falling into the sea. A compelling read.

Butterflies in the Rain (Kindle Single)
Butterflies in the Rain (Kindle Single)

5.0 out of 5 stars a beautiful read, 2 May 2014
First Kindle Single I have read. Won't be the last if they are as good as this one. Plot, people and defiant theme all so appealing. Thank you, Anne Zouroudi

A Man For All Seasons (Modern Classics)
A Man For All Seasons (Modern Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Kindle version, 22 Jan. 2014
Know this play well - saw it at the Theatre Royal Newcastle years ago, taught it in my teaching days. I bought this edition after reading "Wolf Hall". Variety of viewpoint is important to history and true to life.
My point in reviewing it here is to praise the Kindle book. So easy to read,to pick up and put down. eBooks will never replace books - but for me, in this past year, since I bought my tablet, they have become a vital part of my life.

Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell Trilogy Book 1)
Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell Trilogy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wolf Hall, 28 Dec. 2013
I love the wealth of detail, the way it presents a living world with multi-faceted characters; a long book, but one to read again some day with knowledge enriched by the first reading. I relish books I want to read again. They become like places to revisit.

Page: 1 | 2