ARRAY(0xa7a98fd8)

The Luminaries
The Luminaries
by Eleanor Catton
Price: 7.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Siderealy prolix, or show-off droningly boring - take your choice., 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Luminaries (Hardcover)
I bought The Luminaries as an audio book because the reviews sounded promising and it's an interesting subject to me as my grandfather was a mining engineer in that time and place, and I've visited the west coast - but so far (about a 1/3 of the way into the story)I get no real feeling, no "Ooh yes, that rings a bell" for the New Zealand gold fields and their workers. Eleanor Catton is a brilliant writer and has obviously done a lot of research but somehow she doesn't hit the spot for me, or maybe the spot is buried under a great spoil heap of superfluous verbiage which a good editor would have removed. Great book for insomniacs though.

Wool (Wool Trilogy 1)
Wool (Wool Trilogy 1)
by Hugh Howey
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars You will be rooted to your chair until you finish!, 19 Feb 2013
This review is from: Wool (Wool Trilogy 1) (Hardcover)
Wool is a great story - an unusual setting and a compelling narrative grips right from the beginning and only gets more addictive as it develops. I can hardly wait for the next book in the series.

London's Hidden Secrets volume 1
London's Hidden Secrets volume 1
by Graeme Chesters
Price: 7.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice One!, 13 Oct 2011
London's Hidden Secrets isn't intended for the "It's Tuesday, so it must be London" type tourist, but for those of us looking for the quirky, surprising, and wonderful this book is a gem. I thought I knew our capital city pretty well, but looking through the index there are dozens of trips to palaces, caves, gardens and interesting places that I've never even heard of and can't wait to see.
The layout and text is crisp and easy to read even while travelling, the At a Glance panel is helpful, and the book is small enough to pop into a pocket. I liked the great photos and the easy reference maps - in fact I liked everything.

Going Too Far
Going Too Far
by Catherine Alliott

2.0 out of 5 stars A gulp too far, 16 Sep 2011
This review is from: Going Too Far (Paperback)
I started off liking scatty heroine Polly, but well before the end I would have willingly strangled the silly creature, which would at least have prevented her interminable gulping. (The phrase "I gulped" occurs at least 70 times.)The rest of the time she is smoking or drinking or sitting on her fat arse, making for a pretty boring reading experience. Sorry Catherine Alliott, but you went too far.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 20, 2011 10:03 AM BST

Weekends to Brag About
Weekends to Brag About
by Christopher Nye
Price: 11.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Awesome, can't wait for my next WTBA, 14 July 2011
This review is from: Weekends to Brag About (Paperback)
I was given Weekends to Brag About by a friend (thanks Dan) who thought I should get out more - so we tried a horse-riding weekend. It was awesome! Have never been on a horse before so was a bit sore next day, but have already booked my next lesson and bought some riding boots, and we are planning to try scuba diving next.

Moving to the United States of America and Immigration
Moving to the United States of America and Immigration
by Mark A. Cooper
Price: 10.89

1.0 out of 5 stars Boy, was I disappointed!, 10 April 2009
I bought this book as a result of its excellent reviews - no fewer than NINE reviewers (out of 12) have given it five-stars. I was expecting something really special. Was I in for a shock! I cannot begin to tell you just how disappointed I am with this book. First impressions were of a self-published book - not necessarily a bad thing - except when the quality is poor, the design/structure and layout amateurish, the writing is at best mediocre, and it is littered with typos and grammatical errors. The organisation of the book is terrible - all over the place - the list of contents uninformative and there's no index, so finding information is a complete lottery.
Not that there's much to find. The book contains 17 pages on sports, 16 pages on climate, 16 pages on citizenship, 14 pages on driving, 10 pages on pets, a 12-page glossary on buying a home, and no less than 22 pages of embassy addresses! These few subjects alone (some of which are hardly vital to newcomers) comprise a third of the book, while subjects such as working gets just 6 pages, public transport 3 pages and the vital subject of health isn't covered at all! Neither are telephone, television or post office services. The only subject covered in any depth is visas, although there's nothing you cannot get from the official US government website for free.
This book is not a patch on the established books from Cadogan, Crimson and Survival Books, all of which contain far more (and better) information - and are also cheaper! I find it hard to imagine that the reviewers who gave this book five stars (10 out of 10) read it at all - if I could I would have given it NO STARS.

End the Food Confusion: Your Complete Guide to Good Nutrition
End the Food Confusion: Your Complete Guide to Good Nutrition
by Sonia Jones
Price: 11.42

5.0 out of 5 stars And Here's the Good News!, 1 Mar 2009
I'm glad I bought a copy of this newly published book, it's really helpful for the terminally confused dieter who's run out of options and doesn't want to try yet another "miracle" fad diet that doesn't work. The good news according to Sonia Jones is that one doesn't have to diet the whole time to be slim and healthy; in fact you need to eat MORE! The bad news is that all the dieting you have done in the past is the likely reason you are tired, irritable, and still overweight.
Sonia Jones knows her onions, and with End the Food Confusion she explains clearly and simply where we are going wrong in our food choices and what to do about it. There are loads of tips and recipes, and advice on how to spot the so-called "healthy" foods that are loaded with fat, sugar, or a slew of nasty chemicals. I started off by dipping into chapters that interested me, and ended up reading the book from cover to cover.
Things are beginning to make sense to me now, and though I'm eating lots of tasty food the weight is coming off without me having to starve or count calories. Thanks Sonia! I'd pass on the good news by giving your book to a friend - only this is one book that's going to stay on my shelves.

Living & Working in America (Living and Working)
Living & Working in America (Living and Working)
by David Hampshire

4.0 out of 5 stars LIVING & WORKING IN AMERICA, 15 Jan 2009
Soundly researched and clearly written - I found this book helpful on all the important 'must know' facts for someone about to move to the US. I also liked its appearance and photos, factual books are so often grey and boring.

Living and Working in Australia: The Best Selling and Comprehensive Book Available About Living in Australia (Living & Working)
by David Hampshire

5.0 out of 5 stars No need to spend 6 months Googling, 8 Sep 2007
I'm sure it's possible to find every fact in this or any similar book by your own efforts, but my family and I were impressed by how easy it was to see the differences between Oz and New Zealand, the other country we were interested in, so thank you for not one but two brilliant books that set out all the pros and cons. Now for the look-see visit!