Profile for BerkSonics > Reviews

Veet for Men Hair Removal Gel Cream 200 ml
Veet for Men Hair Removal Gel Cream 200 ml
Offered by ukchemist

5.0 out of 5 stars HOO-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!, 9 July 2013
Al Pacino stands, silent, in a Hollywood audition room. The director, John Woo, sits silently in front of him, legs crossed, lips pursed and brow furrowed. It's been a full minute since he gave his instructions. No, give him time, thinks Woo. This is Pacino. Just let him do his thing. He's most likely working himself into character. Pacino's face twitches. Closing his eyes tight, he breathes in hard through his sizeable hooter. Here goes.

Five minutes earlier, Pacino had walked into a small, modest room and had shaken John Woo's miniscule hand. They exchanged pleasantries and Woo had eased himself into his tiny chair.

"Ok Al, here's what I want you to do. Remember the film Face/Off?" Pacino gives something midway between a nod and shrug.

"Ok, well, you will well remember a scene when Sean Archer - played by John Travolta - has just been placed in prison wearing Castor Troy's face. His geeky brother becomes dubious when pretend Troy having starts seven shades of crap beaten out of him in a canteen fight. He then pulls that "crazy" face and starts to fight back, shouting repeatedly that he is Castor Troy and whooping like a madman. Archer/Troy then descends into a sort of demented sob interspersed with increasingly deranged whooping".

Pacino frowns, puzzled. "Uh huh", he grunts.

"Well", contines Woo, "I want you to isolate that state he has worked himself into and replicate it for me".

"Uh, ok", shrugs Pacino.

Woo lifts a finger. "Wait, I have not quite finished". He clears his throat. "I want you to replicate that for me, while also imagining that he is being slowly lowered into a vat of acid filled with zombie piranhas, while hundreds of tiny aliens with razor-blade sharp arms and legs are skittering all over your body. Oh, and I almost forgot, you are having all of your teeth extracted with a pair of rusty pliers that are coated in Cillit Bang".

Imagine Al Pacino's interpretation of the above and you will be some way to replicating my reaction to the sensation I experienced while using Veet for Men Hair Removal Cream over my plums and pork sword. It works though.

Holy Fire
Holy Fire

2.0 out of 5 stars Building on the worst aspects of their previous record, 18 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Holy Fire (Audio CD)
I adored Antidotes and loved Total Life Forever, but the only times TLF didn't strike a chord with me was when the tracks were on the wrong side of ordinary. Call them what you like, but Foals were never ordinary. But the rare uninspired moment on TLF was far outweighed by the shimmering and heart-stopping ones around them.

Sadly, Holy Fire sees Foals lose their mojo as far as I'm concerned. Yet, it is not without merit.

It starts well enough with Prelude and Inhaler, but the biggest red flag imaginable then raises itself in the shape of the horrifically bad My Number. A lightweight pop/funk ditty with no emotion, soul, punch or thrust. It's candy floss for the ears and by far the worst song they've ever written. Bad Habit is not much better, being an instantly forgettable MOR pop-indie-rock-by-numbers filler.

Everytime is marginally better and has a decent hook, but it all still sounds rather uninspired. Thankfully, Late Night provides some redemption. A slow-burn, slow-build track full of tension and soul, this is what I paid my money for. Next track Out of the Woods is sadly a damp squib of a track. The band don't sound like they're particularly interested by this point, which begs the question: why should we be?

Milk & Black Spiders is thankfully much more interesting and engaging, and the clattering Providence piques the interest albeit in rather directionless fashion. Stepson is a real beauty of a tune but then the album closer Moon brings a downbeat and dour ending to proceedings.

Overall, Foals always engaged me because they sounded like nobody else and their music was so damn powerful. For me, on Holy Fire, they've lost that power to inspire me and now sound like a middling indie band trying to sound like Foals. Either they're trying too hard or not hard enough, I can't quite decide.

I wanted to love this album. It has the odd great moment, but nowhere near enough. Parts of it may yet grow on me, yet after quite a few listens I can see this as a record that doesn't get many airings in the future, I'm very sad to say.
Comment Comments (17) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2013 10:22 PM GMT

Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse?
Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse?
by Max Braillier

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, poor execution, 20 Jun. 2012
The positives first: the concept is a great one. If you're into zombie fiction and ever read any kind of CYO adventure book, then this will appeal massively. Another positive point is that the book is actually good fun in places. It's written with tongue firmly in cheek and a good dose of humour. Some of the characters are enjoyable and some of teh set pieces you find oyurself in are memorable. For these points, two stars.

However, there is a major nagative for me. It seems to me that whichever path you choose, the story ends far too quickly. When I've read this kind of book in the past, you make choices that lead you onto the next stage of the story, and you are then confronted with another dilemma, which leads you on and so forth. You build your own story, and that story can be legnthy if the choices you make are the "right" ones. In this book, each path you choose lasts on average another 2 or 3 choices, then you're dead or rescued. That's it; all over and start again. In addition, some of the consequences of your choices just don't make much sense, so you may as well just not think about it, shut your eyes and stick a pin in the page to decide your next move.

It's simply not been well thought out. However, I salute the idea, the design and some of the writing. The execution, sadly, lets it down.

Insomnia
Insomnia
by Stephen King

1.0 out of 5 stars A true cure for insomnia, 23 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Insomnia (Paperback)
Having previously been a fan of Stephen King's work, I found this book hugely disappointing. For the first half, it meanders tediously. I got the feeling that King was trying to build up a sense of unease and tension, but the pace really lets it down. On top of that, the characterisation is rather trite and hackneyed. I felt no connection with Ralph or any other character for that matter as they were simply far too dull for words. As for the second half of the novel, well it loses its way entirely. At least with the first half, you felt like it had a vague purpose and I did stick with it to see where it would end up and to give it a chance, basically. Sadly, it turned out to be one of the most uninteresting and thrown-together novels I have ever read.

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Souvenir 1952-2012
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Souvenir 1952-2012
by Annie Bullen

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning souvenir, 23 Feb. 2012
This is a classy book and I have to say an absolute steal at £7.99. If you don't want the Andrew Marr-type book with his rather wordy and I have to say turgid examination of the Queen's life and work, and would rather have a glossy, beautifully-produced overview, this hits the spot. The format is great - it's A4 size, which really brings the pictures to life. The pictures selected are wonderful - mostly in colour and include qiute a few I have not seen before. This is not just a picture book though - there is a fair amount of well-written and interesting text running through it as well. A lovingly-produced record of our Queen's life - not too heavy-going but also not too light. Just right, and highly recommended. I can't stop looking at it.

Titanic in Photographs (Titanic Collection)
Titanic in Photographs (Titanic Collection)
by Daniel Klistorner

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only buy one Titanic book this year..., 3 Feb. 2012
This book really is a class apart. I've had an extensive look at a lot of the new Titanic books that have been released over the last few months and this one stands out as THE book to buy, even if you have just a passing interest.

The reasons? Firstly, quite simply, the pictures themselves. Many of these are very rare, others famous, but the breadth and quality of these images is outstanding.

Secondly, although this book's aim is to tell the life story of the Titanic in images (and there are a lot of images), there is a fair bit of text running throughout which serves to contextualise the images and provide a narrative, and the quality and authority of this narrative is first class and has obviously been written by some true Titanic experts.

Thirdly, the price. Amazon's discount notwithstanding, the actual RRP of this book - £20 - is exceptional value. I would be delighted to pay £20 for this book given the quality of the end product.

The authors and publishers of this piece of work should be congratulated. It appeals to newcomers as well as Titanic buffs, and has clearly been a labour of love.

Many books are appearing that are jumping on the Titanic bandwagon, but this book must have started the bandwagon as it is clearly the one to beat. Forget the gimmicky Haynes book (which incidentally is full of innacuracies and looks hastily thrown together), this volume is worth 100 of its nearest competitor. Bravo.

Redemption Song: The Definitive Biography of Joe Strummer
Redemption Song: The Definitive Biography of Joe Strummer
by Chris Salewicz

5.0 out of 5 stars Do not dismiss this thorough work due to one small fault, 10 Sept. 2010
I've not long finished this biography and generally, I'm very impressed.

I find it sad that a few on here have dismissed the book because they feel Salewicz is a hanger-on or a name-dropper. Chris actually knew Joe very well and they were good friends. In that respect, he has every right to recount a few personal encounters with the man within this book. In any repsect, there are very long sections of this book where the author does not mention his own involvement whatsoever, so I really do feel that those reviews are overplaying that aspect completely.

To view objectively, then, you have to take your hat off to the author. To piece together in painstaking fashion someone else's life from such a wide variety of sources is no mean feat.

What we end up with is an extremely candid, thorough and very enjoyable biography. The good and bad of Joe is painted by all those that knew him in here. It is strikingly honest and very warts-and-all. There is also content drawn from a huge collection of print and audio interviews and live shows, both well-known and obscure. Any fan of Joe or the Clash will be engrossed.

If I had to make any criticism at all it would be that perhaps there is too much coverage of very small or insiginifcant occurrences. I did begin to tire of receiving glimpses into Damian Hirst's self-absorbed life. But I'm nit-picking now.

This book is the result of a labour of love and it shows. With unique access to so many players in Joe's life, as well as original interviews with many of these people that readers wouldn't have read before, this stands head and shoulders above so many other biographies you come across these days.

Fever
Fever
Offered by Bridge_Records

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that impressed., 26 May 2010
This review is from: Fever (Audio CD)
There are a couple of tracks on here that are excellent, driving metal anthems such as The Last Fight and Alone. These bear repeated listens. However, the ballads sound like Def Leppard cast-offs and Fever is possibly the worst song they've ever written with lyrics that seems to have been written by a 14 year-old boy. Aside from that, nothing really sticks in the memory.

Diamond Eyes
Diamond Eyes

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, powerful record, 26 May 2010
This review is from: Diamond Eyes (Audio CD)
Although I have long been fanatical about this band, I will always admit their faults. For me, self-titled was a record on which they sounded well and truly stuck in a rut. It was plodding, lacking urgency and inspiration. Saturday Night Wrist was more promising but wildly inconsistent. It contains some of their best work - Combat and Rapture stand among their best songs for me - but also some of their most insipid - Xerces, Pink Cellphone, Mein. All the songs in between such as Cherry Waves and Beware, although decent, failed to really stick in my conciousmess for too long. That record was very much the victim of the fractured nature of its own recording.

I worried about Eros as it seemed they were getting bogged down in creating a masterpiece, but as we all know fate tragically intervened. The band was floored by Chi's accident and Eros was indefinitely shelved.

All of which makes Diamond Eyes one of the unexpected triumphs of recent years. Throwing off the shackles of grief and getting back to what they did best on ATF and WP, all with a renewed sense of purpose and energy...well, I can think of no better tribute to their stricken compadre.

The record opens with the title track, which I actually didn't really like at first. It sticks in your head after time though and I now think its the perfect way to kick off the record. It's positive, upbeat, uplifting. Life-affirming. Which is a recurrent theme throughout.

Next up is Royal which, just like Rapture does on SNW, throws you off kilter after a melodic opener in brutal brilliant fashion. Deftones at their powerful best.

CMD/CTRL almost reverts to the hip-hop stylings of Back to School. This one draws you in with its persistent chug and thud.

You've Seen the Butcher is a real standout. A slow, menacing riff underpinned with some nice atmospherics and a knockout bridge/chorus combination. This really takes me back to White Pony era 'tones. Beauty School follows and a brisk, sparse almost 80s sounding arrangement during the verses leads to a powerful chorus that builds in intensity. This pairing of tracks leading up to midway in the record really does build momentum and excitement for what's to follow, absolutely brilliant stuff.

Prince is the most White Pony track on the album, owing mainly to the fact that they seem to have entirely ripped off another one of their own songs, Rx Queen. It's rumoured that this is a response or follow-up to that tune, but in places it really is almost entirely identical. Still, if you're a fan of Rx Queen, as I am, it follows that you will enjoy this a lot.

Rocket Skates we all know very well by now. Again, I wasn't actually too sure about this on first listen but you cannot help but get drawn in by its relentless chugging riff and it works well in the context of the album. This is followed by Sextape which is by turns horizontally chilled and soaring.

What follows next is, in my opinion, astonishing stuff. Deftones do have a knack of peaking towards the end of albums. Around the Fur had the Dai Th Flu and Headup combination. White Pony has Passenger, Change and Pink Maggit, while SNW had the neat Combat/Kimdracula pairing.

Diamond Eyes has Risk and 976-EVIL. These tracks, to me, are two of the most powerful the band have produced to date. Chino has stated that not one song was written specifically about or to Chi but many of the lyrics allude to his feelings around the situation. It's on these two songs where you can hear this most. Risk has to be one of the most emotionally charged songs they've produced and I'm not exaggerating when I say it's one of thir finest career achievements. I could listen to it a thousand times on a loop and get lost in it more with every listen. Ditto for 976-EVIL. This song is epic, stunning and overflowing with emotion. It makes the hairs on the neck stand up every time.

After that pairing of tracks, album closer This Place is Death is something of an inevitable anti-climax, but on its own merits is another powerful tune.

Diamond Eyes has the urgency and inspiration so lacking in self-titled, and the cohesion and consistency so lacking on Wrist. Without a shadow of doubt, their finest record since White Pony. Given the circumstances surrounding the birth of this album, what they've given us really is some achievement and they should be rightly proud.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2012 7:12 PM BST

Hater
Hater
by David Moody

1.0 out of 5 stars Was this written in a couple of hours?, 13 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Hater (Paperback)
I wanted to like this book as I'm a fan of such apolocalyptic stories, and I was interested in the premise of this one, so I really gave this book every chance. However, it was so poorly written I just had to admit defeat in the end. The characters are thoroughly bland and unlikeable, the plot is basic and telegraphed, and the writing itself is embarrassing at times. In almost every chapter our narrator says something along these lines: "I can't believe what is happening around me, my head is spinning, I can't make sense of it all, what the hell is going on?" to the extent that I thought there was a fault with my book. I'm astonished that this has been picked up as a movie adaptation. All I can say is I hope they have a good screenwriter in mind. Truly truly terrible.

Page: 1 | 2