Profile for Mr. J. Colley > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. Colley

Mr. J. Colley (Lincs, UK.)

Page: 1 | 2
Digital Tec Big Button Flip Mobile Phone - Easy to Use Simple - Unlocked - Camera - Full Colour Screen - FM Radio - SOS Button
Offered by Digital Tec Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job I want, 12 Jun 2014
I started with a Big Button mobile phone just to be able to send a text without my reading glasses. All I need or want is phone, text and very occasionally a still camera, a back-to-basics attitude. To be brutally frank the Binatone I had before this one was easier to read, both onscreen and the buttons but it had the big disadvantage that the buttons kept getting accidentally pressed in my pocket and I was worried I might make a false call to 999. Also the Binatone battery only lasted a day or two and no replacements were available. So I bought this which solved all those problems. My eyes aren't all that bad really so I couldn't recommend this for someone who needs more than 'a little help with reading' like I do if they are going to want to send texts without their specs. Phoning is OK because it speaks the numbers as you dial them. The loudspeaker is pretty good too if you use it like I do, up to your ear so you can hear above background noises like traffic. I don't know if it would be any use for 'hands-free' when driving, I suspect not. I cannot comment on any of the other features, just because I never use them.
I also had the problem that it was all in Spanish, but the lady at the suppliers was very friendly and helpful and sorted it out over the landline.

Binatone SM400 Large Button GSM Mobile Phone
Binatone SM400 Large Button GSM Mobile Phone

5.0 out of 5 stars If you WANT basic and easy to read look no further., 12 Nov 2013
Normally I like my toys to have all the bells and whistles to play with but for some reason I am just not into phones, all I want to do is make one or two phone calls per weeks and the same useage of texts. I have a very occasional need for a camera, let's say once or twice a year, and that's all the use I make of it. No internet use at all. About 6 months ago I bought a phone, about the 6th or 7th I've had over the years, each more elaborate than the one before. I won't mention the name but it was so complicated I would have thought NASA could have used it to run a space mission. I won't bore you with a lot of detail but it was horrendously complex to use, to the point where I really couldn't be bothered to learn how. The reason I bought it was that it offered the facility to increase the size of the text font. This appealed to me because of late I'm having to put my reading glasses before I can read the screen, or see which buttons I'm pressing to type a text. Eventually I lost my rag with it and decided to see if I could find something which fits my need better. This is it! Dead simple to use. The screen has nice easy to read text, so do the buttons, and the buttons are nice and big for my big fat clumsy thumbs, so I can text without my specs. Same applies to making calls. There is a good loudspeaker so I can hear it by the side of a busy road. And I'm revelling in it.
So if you want basic simplicity like I do, I heartily recommend this one.
Or if you want a phone for your dear old relative who hasn't had a mobile before and might have difficulty learning to use a more sophisticated phone, I would think this is ideal. If so check out the SOS facility, sounds like it could be a life-saver, but I don't use it so I cannot advise.

Essential Delta Blues
Essential Delta Blues

3.0 out of 5 stars ok but nothing to get excited about, 19 Aug 2013
This review is from: Essential Delta Blues (Audio CD)
Some nice old blues tracks. This wouldn't be bad choice for someone new to blues music, but a bit 'same old same old'if you've been listening for years. Nothing actually wrong with it.

Sweet Thursday (Penguin Modern Classics)
Sweet Thursday (Penguin Modern Classics)
by John Steinbeck

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the usual Steinbeck, 18 July 2013
This book is a sequel to 'Cannery Row' please see my review of that for details. Basically i recommend it to anyone wanting a light-hearted read.

Cannery Row (Penguin Modern Classics)
Cannery Row (Penguin Modern Classics)
by John Steinbeck

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the usual Steinbeck, 18 July 2013
I read strictly for entertainment so anyone wanting a proper Eng.LIt. critique need read no further.
Anyone who has only read 'Grapes of Wrath' which is what Steinbeck is best known for, or any of his other gloomy works, should not be put off by his name on the cover.
It is very a very warm, humourous, light-hearted read, the complete opposite of what 'Grapes of Wrath' would have you expecting. Wonderful stories and descriptions of characters which make you feel that you know them personally, and cannot help but like most of them. I first read this book when I was a boy over 50 years ago having opened it more or less out of idle curiosity - my parents kept some books in a bookcase in my bedroom.. I keep going back to it and the sequel 'Sweet Thursday' over and over again. I describe it as the book equivalent of the comfy old slippers. The pair will be my book choice if I am ever on Desert Island Discs - I do not know what greater recommendation I can offer.

Microphone Windshield Set of 5, Assorted
Microphone Windshield Set of 5, Assorted
Offered by Motionperformance - Waxacar

5.0 out of 5 stars Occasional domestic user., 18 July 2013
I am not a professional in any way, my use of a microphone is just very occasional little bits and bobs on the computer. I just wanted something to stop the flutter you get when your breath hits the microphone and these do the job for what I want. In truth I mainly bought them for the nice bright colours, I've got enough black equipmemt on the desk already. Even then I only use the red one lol . P & P, delivery and everything else were all perfectly OK. The acid test is whether I would buy the same thing again knowing what I know now and yes I would.

Stella - Series 1 [DVD]
Stella - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ruth Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars I fell in love with Stella., 18 Jan 2013
This review is from: Stella - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
A bundle of really wonderful stories and characters. I think it's a huge tribute to the writing and acting to say that I became so absorbed in what I was watching that I fell hopelessly in love with Stella and had to keep forcibly reminding myself that she isn't real, just a fictional character in a romantic-comedy-drama. I know that's daft, and I have to laugh at myself for it, but I haven't enjoyed anything as much for a long time. I like Ruth Jones anyway after 'Gavin and Stacey' which I enjoyed enough to buy the boxed set, but I like this much more. I pre-ordered Series 2 the instant I found out it was going to be available. So can I say more? Actually yes, I can......"Stella, will you marry me twice?" - (Twice in case one doesn't take).

Hopscotch & Handbags: The Truth about Being a Girl: The Essential Guide to Being a Girl
by Lucy Mangan

5.0 out of 5 stars A smashing read., 27 Nov 2012
I read to be entertained with a preference for humour and this is entertaining and funny in a big way. When I'm reading I often find things very funny but don't actually laugh out loud. This book has had me helpless and howling with laughter several times and given me a huge number of inward chuckles too, and I haven't finished it yet. Please note that I'm a bloke so it must be funnier still for girls. (I bought it just because I'd enjoyed 'My Family and Other Disasters' so much). I was that father on page 115! . To plaigarise a review of another book by somebody famous - it's the sort of book which makes you want to marry the author. If you read this Lucy, thanks for the laughs and please hurry up and write more books, I've only got one more to go.

My Own Way
My Own Way
Offered by skyvo-direct

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed reactions, 26 Sep 2012
This review is from: My Own Way (Audio CD)
I bought this in a fit of nostalgia. The story is that I borrowed this in vinyl LP form from a friend back in the 70s and became 'singalong familiar' with it. Eventually I gave it back and forgot all about it for 30+ years. Recently I was reminded of it by seeing that the film '3.10 to Yuma' was on the TV. That and 'Boots and Spanish Leather' were the only tracks I could remember, although I instantly remembered 'CC Rider' when I saw the playlist. I could remember loving Richie's style when playing up-tempo tracks. He seemed to sing at one pace whilst playing the guitar much faster. The same applies to the backing musicians, and there's lots going on all at once. All of which gives it a very 'high-energy' feel. (That is just in the up-tempos, not the folksy ones). So what does it sound like today? Well 'CC Rider' is pretty much a standard, loads of people have covered it over the years, and I still like Richie's version as much as I did 30 years ago. There are two or three other quick tempo tracks I like very much, and I now appreciate the occasional bits of gospel-style organ backing which I didn't like much in the old days. So it's good news in that repect. The medium paced ones like '3.10 to Yuma' and 'Boots etc.,' are still ok but only ok, it was nice to hear them again and refresh the memory but I won't be going barmy playing them a lot, just ocasionally. Now for the bad news. The folksy ones. I'm not mad keen on this type of thing (single voice accompanied by single acoustic guitar) at the best of times, however much I like the artist. The old protest songs were valid and meaningful back then but a lot of the time the lyrics are outdated and pointless today. I say that because the issues they protested about have been addressed and resolved so there's nothing to protest about any more. So there you have it. In my humble opinion this is a mixed bag, some tracks I love, some are average, and some I actively dislike, but that's often the case isn't it? The acid test is whether I would still buy it tomorrow having heard it again today and the answer is a definite 'Yes'.

The Book With No Name
The Book With No Name
by Anonymous

4.0 out of 5 stars From someone ordinary., 21 May 2012
This review is from: The Book With No Name (Paperback)
I have no 'English Literature' knowledge, I read purely for entertainment. Don't be put off by the quotes from the newspapers elsewhere in this book's reviews. The author obviously has a vivid imagination and that might be assisted by drugs (I wouldn't know, I don't use them) but it isn't about drugs or the drug society. It's a simple straightforward American 'shoot-'em-up'. Quite a good story-line with plenty of characters. Fast-moving and entertaining. Quite a lot of violence, blood and gore, but not enough to classify it as a 'horror' story. If it was a film I would expect it to get a 15 certificate. My idea of a well-written book is one where the story goes straight from the page into my imagination without my actually having to 'read' or study the words in front of me, if that makes sense. Like watching a film or a video in my mind. This is one which does that. It's not 'unputdownable' but it's close. I looked forward to the next read when I did put it down. If you have the same tastes as me then you will enjoy this one.

Page: 1 | 2