Profile for The Crusader > Reviews

Content by The Crusader

The Crusader (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Paper Moon (Inspector Montalbano Mysteries)
The Paper Moon (Inspector Montalbano Mysteries)
by Andrea Camilleri

3.0 out of 5 stars My first and last Montalbano, 12 July 2014
Maybe I missed the point of this book, it's the first Inspector Montalbano novel I've read and I was expecting a fairly traditional whodunit but there was little mystery to this story, the ending was fairly obvious from an early stage. I was also disappointed by the translation which seemed stilted, particularly the direct speech. I appreciate the translator was probably trying to capture the words exactly but a little bit of artistic licence wouldn't have gone amiss. Maybe it was also because it wasn't in the original language that there seemed to be very little characterisation. I'm afraid I won't be reading any more in this series.

eSynic® Digital Optical Coaxial Toslink to Analog Stereo RCA Audio Converter - Digital to Analogue Audio Converter PS3 XBox 360 HDTV Blu RAY DVD Sky HD Apple TV with UK Plug Power Adapter
Offered by eSynic

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed after three days, 25 Jun 2014
I ordered this as my new TV only has an optical out for audio, and I wanted to connect to my existing surround sound set-up. The item arrived quickly and was simple to set up. On set up, it worked perfectly and did exactly what I wanted. However, after using it twice, the unit failed completely. I am aware that this may just be bad luck on my part and would probably have been happy with a replacement, but Amazon did not offer this option. Therefore I can only base my review on my personal experience and regrettably that has been rather poor.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2014 8:44 AM BST

Illustrated Stories from Shakespeare (Usborne Illustrated Story Collections)
Illustrated Stories from Shakespeare (Usborne Illustrated Story Collections)
by William Shakespeare

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent re-tellings, 24 May 2014
We bought this as our six year old son was running out of bedtime story books. He loves the stories in this book (which are fairly basic re-tellings of the basic plays, without too much depth), particularly Hamlet and Macbeth, and has asked for a BluRay of Hamlet...although I'm a bit dubious about how that will turn out!

Some of the plots were a bit difficult for him to grasp first time round, but re-reading made the stories a lot easier to follow. I would heartily recommend this book to anyone wanting their children to get into Shakespeare, or even just as a different type of bedtime story.

Austin Allegro: An Enthusiast's Guide
Austin Allegro: An Enthusiast's Guide
by Ben Wanklyn

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting book, 24 May 2014
This is an interesting book with plenty of research and detail, about a car which suffered at the hands of the press. It really was nowhere near as bad as it was portrayed, and is still loved by a lot of people. There is a thriving Facebook page (Austin Allegro Appreciation Society) for owners and lovers of the car, with plenty of technical experts on hand to answer specific questions, but buy this book!!

E-max Pirates Deluxe Packs
E-max Pirates Deluxe Packs

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised, 30 April 2014
This review is from: E-max Pirates Deluxe Packs (Toy)
The description of this item says 4 feature cards, 7 modelling clay pieces, 2 instruction booklets and 1 stage and complements, and the image appears to show a small box. What we actually received was a small plastic bag containing three pieces of modelling clay (plasticine), 1 instruction booklet and some cardboard accoutrements. I'm not sure what the "stage" referred to in the advert is supposed to be!

Whilst my son likes the item, I feel that this was not what was advertised. OK, it's only a few pounds but the price isn't what matters - it's the misleading advertising, and I am very disappointed with what I ordered - I could have bought a lot more plasticine for the same price, and easily made my own hat etc, I am not able to recommend this item.

Mister Teacher
Mister Teacher
by Jack Sheffield

3.0 out of 5 stars Neither great nor awful, 25 April 2014
This review is from: Mister Teacher (Paperback)
I have read a few of these books now, and my brief comments below could apply to any of them.

I'm not sure how much of this is "novel" and how much is taken from the author's own experience, but nevertheless I quite enjoyed the book, it's a light and easy read, and easily completed within a couple of days. However, the whole series would be so much better if it weren't for the lame, old jokes which have been repeated over and over again - there will certainly be some that you have come across before. If you're looking for something to bring back your childhood - or if you were a young teacher in the late 70s/early 80s, I would recommend giving one of these books a try, but don't expect great literature. If, on the other hand, you want genuinely funny stories about school life, I would always go for one of Anthony Buckeridge's Jennings books, which I've been reading and re-reading for a good 40 years now!

VonHaus Glass TV Stand for upto 42" Plasma/LED/LCD/3D TV or 40Kgs with 3 Shelves & Cable Management
Offered by Designer Habitat

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really up to standard, 6 April 2014
First, the good bits...delivery was quicker than expected (next day, in fact). The unit arrived well packaged and in excellent condition.

Construction was straightforward, there are instructions provided but it was so simple to put together that they weren't really necessary.

However, the above is all very well but not a lot of good if the item itself is not really up to scratch. The item is cheap, and looks it - compared to the stand which houses our main TV (which did admittedly cost considerably more), there is a massive gulf in quality, robustness, design and visual appeal. I suppose it does the job, but the acid test is whether I would buy another one, and unfortunately - for me at least - the answer to that has to be no.

Cold as Ice (Dc Ebony Willis 2)
Cold as Ice (Dc Ebony Willis 2)
by Lee Weeks

3.0 out of 5 stars Average at best, 18 Jan 2014
Not a bad book, but not a great one either. There are some glaring errors which rather spoilt it for me (eg at one stage, a man previously described as "naked" takes off his trousers!)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 9, 2014 8:09 PM BST

Canon PIXMA MG3250 All-in-One Colour Printer (Print, Scan, Copy, Wi-Fi and Auto Duplex)
Offered by Cool Deals UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent prints but long set up time, 7 Dec 2013
I bought this as a back-up printer and to use the photocopying function. I generally only print documents, for which my main printer (a mono Samsung laser printer) is ideal, but I needed colour prints so bought this as a cheap back-up, and - for the price - I'm happy with the quality (it doesn't even begin to compare with the Samsung for printing documents, but you get what you pay for).

However, it loses a star because the set-up process is so long-winded.

(Incidentally, at present this printer is £20 cheaper in PC World [where I bought it] than from Amazon - not so sure I would have been so happy had I paid Amazon's price).

Jamie's Machine
Jamie's Machine
by Douglas Watson

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality book by an under-rated author, 1 July 2013
This review is from: Jamie's Machine (Paperback)
I have read this book a couple of times now, and have to say that I love it. It is probably the best book you've never read, and I would heartily recommend it to anyone who enjoys well written fiction with something to say about the human condition. Buy it!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3