Profile for shanitee > Reviews

Content by shanitee

shanitee

Proporta iPod nano 7G Flip Tough Protective Case Cover Matte Faux Leather Style PU Pleather iPod nano 7th genaration case cover With Lifetime Exchange Warranty - Black
Offered by Proporta
Price: 19.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made, but with (an easily solved) design issue, 22 Aug 2014
This really is a very well constructed case for the iPod nano 7g. It's got a great feel to it, though it does add a bit of bulk to the device (nothing too drastic).

However, as other people have noted, the hinge being located at the bottom the iPod does lead to some problems. My headphone cable has a rather large connector, and it just didn't want to play with the case. But, there's a really simple way to fix it - just slide the iPod in the other way around and problem solved!

If you're looking for a well made, quality case, which isn't one of the cheap bits of tat that seems to be crowding the market, this I highly recommend this.

MediaDevil Magicscreen Screen Protector: Matte Clear (Anti-Glare) - Apple iPad Mini 1 / iPad Mini 2 (i.e. iPad Mini with Retina Screen) - (2 x Screen Protectors)
Offered by MediaDevil
Price: 19.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Transforms the way you use your iPad!, 12 Jun 2014
I had somehow developed a 1 inch scratch on the screen of my iPad, and had begrudgingly grown to live with it when I realised that a screen protector might help cover this up. After looking around at the multitude of (invariable cheap) screen protectors on offer, I eventually decided to go for the MediaDevil screen. It is more expensive than others, but to my estimate it's a fantastic investment and has has added to the functionality of my device!

You're impressed with it as soon as you get it - well packaged with very clear instructions and includes everything you need to apply the screen (i.e. a microfibre cloth and a credit-card size piece of plastic for smoothing out the screen and removing air bubbles). The screens also feels a lot thicker than cheaper screens, and MediaDevil's claims of the multiple composite layers definitely feels substantiated as you handle the screens themselves.

When it comes to applying the protector, make sure to follow the included instructions to the letter. I wiped down my screen with a damp microfibre cloth then gave it a good polish using a clean and dry cloth (the one provided in the box). I've seen some guides that have recommended applying the protector in a humid environment (e.g. a bathroom) so that any dust has been pushed towards the ceiling, but a reasonably clean area should suffice. One tip: have some sellotape wrapped around the end of a pen at hand (so that the sticky surface is on the outside and creates a sort of sticky-stylus) - this is used to pick off stray dust particles that the microfibre cloth doesn't clear away.

The pack contains two screens, and I pretty much ballsed up the first one, getting 3 or 4 dust particle stuck under the screen - not too distracting but noticeable enough that I had to remove the screen after about a week (which actually came off easier than I thought it would) and applied the second screen. I think MediaDevil realise that most of us a are bit inept when it comes to this kind of thing and providing two screens gives us a 'dry run' so to speak before doing it properly.

In terms of covering up the scratch, it did manage to do this. Yes, if the screen catches light at a certain angle, it becomes noticeable, but overall there's enough occlusion to hide it's presence for most of the time.

I had procrastinated about whether to get the gloss finish or matte finish, and eventually decided on the matte finish. I travel quite a lot on the Eurostar, and will often spend the whole journey either watching iPlayer or reading a book on the iPad. Seeing my ugly mug reflected in the screen has been an ongoing annoyance, not to mention all the reflective lights from inside and outside the train. As such, the matte finish screen would seem to help solve this issue, and indeed it does. Reflections are much more diffuse and don't detract from whatever you're viewing on screen.

One potential issue to bear in mind is that I noticed on white screens (e.g. when reading a book) that the matte finish would create an odd chromatic pixelation across the screen, which shimmers as you move the device. I guess it's unavoidable considering the process for making the plastic sheeting have a matte finish, and some people may find this distracting. For me it was acceptable: it occurs in a uniform manner across the screen and only really manifests when there a large blocks of a single colour (as is the case with a page of a book), though on a black screen this doesn't occur at all.

The screen protector doesn't affect the brightness of the screen, so no issues on that front. One surprising benefit has been how it improves the use of the touch screen experience by reducing the friction between finger and screen. This has a significant impact on playing games on the iPad. I quite like scrolling shoot-em-ups, but found the stock screen to create friction, which necessitates me having to switch fingers as I play. The screen protector virtually eliminates this with absolutely negative impact on the touch capabilities of the screen. It's dramatically changed how I play these games, and generally how I use the device day-to-day. I believe the gloss finish screen also improves finger/screen friction, though I can't attest to its relative capabilities.

If you're on the fence about whether to get this (and have been put off by the price), I would say go for it and you won't regret it. It's a small investment to dramatically improve how you use your iPad.

I definitely recommend this screen protector, and I'm sure you won't regret purchasing it!!

Anatomy Examinations for the FRCR Part 1
Anatomy Examinations for the FRCR Part 1
Price: 10.79

2.0 out of 5 stars Not enough detail, 11 Feb 2014
Not enough detail and the images are not of high quality.
This book is ok for a first point but not useful for FRCR 1

Epson WorkForce WF-3520DWF 4-in-1 Printer with Double-sided Printing
Epson WorkForce WF-3520DWF 4-in-1 Printer with Double-sided Printing
Price: 96.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic printer with great functionality at a really great price!, 15 May 2013
I got this printer to replace an HP inkjet machine that we've had for over 6 years. I've always seemed to gravitate towards HP and have never had any major problems. So, going for an Epson seemed like a bit of a leap of faith. However, I've been very impressed with this machine so far and it has worked perfectly.

It's a bit a big size-wise (it goes back quite a way), but as the paper feeder sits under the machine, you can just chuck 250 pages in there and forget about it. The setup was very straightforward - it managed to find my wireless router and get connected (via my PC to setup permissions and access). After that, everything was a breeze.

My main requirement was wireless printing, and this works without any problems. At the moment, I have my Windows laptop, a MacBook, two iPhones, an iPad and a Nexus 7 all connected to it, and each works perfectly - doing both normal and duplexed prints. The machine also has its own email address which is connected to the Epson cloud printing service, so even if you're away from home you can send a job to the device; if it's switched on it will print straight away, otherwise it's held as a job on their server until the machine is next switched on. It can also apparently use Google cloud print, but I've not been able to get this working properly; this isn't really a problem for me, as everything else works perfectly, and there's no other function I really need it do that would require the need of the Google services.

Print quality is generally pretty good - I use the standard print setting (rather than high-quality), which has been fine for documents, presentations and spreadsheets. Speed is good as well, not quite up to a laser printer speed, but a double-sided page probably takes about 10-15 seconds depending on page complexity. A nice feature of the printouts is that they don't seem as susceptible to smearing if you want to use a highlighter (which as a perennial problem with the HP printouts).

What surprised me was being able to wirless scanning as well (though with hindsight this seems pretty obvious) - I had thought I would need to connect via the USB to do this, or do some complicated thing like sticking an SD card in the machine and setting it up as a network drive. But, it was so much easier than that- just stick a page in the scanner and I could scan to either of the laptops or to one of the portable devices. Once scanned, the document can be saved as an image, copied, emailed... whatever you want to do.

The one function I've not tested is the fax capability, but that's not something I'll really ever need to do.

Overall, in the month or so I've had this machine, I've been incredibly impressed. It's worked seamlessly with a range of devices and hasn't thrown up any problems. I'm not sure how ink hungry it is, but as it uses separate cartridges for black and the three colours, it should be relatively easy to regulate (and there's high capacity cartridges as well to be a bit more economical).

Definitely recommend this printer!!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2014 7:45 AM GMT

CaseCrown Lux Glider Case (Black Obsidian) for Apple iPhone 4 / 4S
CaseCrown Lux Glider Case (Black Obsidian) for Apple iPhone 4 / 4S
Offered by Senyx
Price: 8.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best iPhone 4/4s case I've had...., 25 Feb 2013
I previously had the Griffin Reveal case, which I really liked. However, after about a year or so, the rubber edges were starting to get a bit loose and mis-shapen. I had been looking for a decent slim-line case, but the majority tended to have big cut-outs at the top and bottom of the phone.

Then I discovered this CaseCrown unit, and it definitely fits the bill. It fits incredibly snugly with the handset, to the point where it just feels like the outer casing of the phone. There are no creaks or edges that are loose. The port entry for the dock connector and headphone jack are perfectly accessible, and as are the access areas for the sleep/wake button, volume buttons and the vibration switcher. On the front-side, there's a very tiny lip formed by case (of maybe 0.5mm), which means you can more or less leave your device face down without risking the screen getting scratched. (for the record I've never used screen protectors, and my screen still looks immaculate). The design gives the case a sense of being flush with the screen, whilst providing a very small level of protection.

The whole case has a reassuringly solid feel, made from strong polycarbonate and finished beautifully. I only paid about 6 for it, and it's definitely worth every penny. Ignore the few negative reviews for this case, and go ahead an buy it, I say. Highly recommended!!

New Premium Apple FM Transmitter For Apple iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3G S and Itouch (1st, 2nd & 3rd Gen), Nano's & Classic's (All ipod's) WITH 12 MONTHS WARRANTY Now with remote control
Offered by DayzHappy
Price: 8.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a brand name, but there's nothing to worry about.. works perfectly!!, 23 Sep 2012
I bought this on a bit of a whim, as I've been using a Belkin tuner for the last few months. The Belkin unit worked pretty well, but had this annoying habit of making high pitched screeches every 10-15 seconds - you could generally tune it out of your head when listening to music, but any kind of spoken word (podcasts or audiobooks) would sound horrible after a while.

This device on the hand has no such problems. I was suitably sceptical before ordering - it's pretty cheap, comes bundled with a bunch of other items, and I've never heard of the brand. However, if you have any concerns, I'd forget about them - this things works perfectly. It draws power from your device, so no cables dragging around the car (a constant irritation with the Belkin system), and just sits there quietly doing it's thing. I've got it plugged into an iPod nano, and it doesn't add much to the overall profile of the device. Battery drain isn't too bad, and I've had running perfectly for the last few days without having to retune or having to endure the "Belkin screeches"!

I've tested the remote control, and I do indeed have the ability to use all the iPod functions through it. This is of course of very limited use in a car, but if you're using this unit to throw sound from your iPod/iPhone to a home receiver, then I can see it's potential.

I've not yet had a chance to try the USB car charger and cable; even if it doesn't work (which I doubt to be the case), this is already a pretty compelling package, and I whole heartedly recommend it!

Really, don't bother with Belkin devices, just get this one!!

Slim Grip Apple iPhone 4 Vehicle Air Vent Mount - use with & without your case.
Slim Grip Apple iPhone 4 Vehicle Air Vent Mount - use with & without your case.
Offered by ChargerCity
Price: 12.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for iPhone 4/4S with case, 23 Sep 2012
I have been on the lookout for a decent car mount for my phone, and had originally considered a windshield suction device. However, I figured it would end up being on my right (in which case I'd have to drag a long charger cable diagonally across from the centre console where the cigarette lighter socket is) or in the the centre, thus obscuring a key view through to the road.

Having a vent-mounted unit was the ideal alternative. I was a bit concerned about the fitting, as the vents on my car (a Vauxhall Astra) are concave and tilt up and down like pivtoing cylinders. All the pictures and videos I've seen of people using these types of mounts seem to show quite flat vents.

However, having received the unit (next day, which was great service), the system works perfectly. The two upper clips go on to a vent slat, whilst the positionable lower section cantilevers the whole unit and keeps it steady. The provided fittings are perfect for my phone (iPhone 4S) - it's in a rubberised bumper case, which actually works to enhance the grippiness with the clips that surround the main fitting plate of the mount. The arms that grip and hold the device can be positioned anywhere along the two short sides of the mounting plate, so you can avoid them pressing down on the sleep/wake button, as well as not obscuring the microphone and speaker. There's also another set of grips for smaller devices - what those devices might be I have no idea, but for a iPhone 4/4s, this works a treat.

Honestly, there's nothing I would change about this unit... it's simple and easy to use, and easy quick to attach, reposition and remove... highly recommended!

Note: there aren't any instructions supplied with the unit. That was a bit of a pain, but assembly was dead easy and so far working faultlessly. If you need any tips on how to put this together, just do a quick YouTube search as there are quite a few 'how-to' videos that show the assembly and fitting of this type of mount unit.

The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
by Tarek Malouf
Price: 5.60

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Recipes - disappointment, 4 April 2010
Though this book looks great, many of the recipes are grossly inaccurate in terms of quantities. There are so many problems with them...to much milk, too little baking powder...the list goes on. Whilst the bakery is great, the book has come out in haste without testing the recipes - this was a huge disappointment. Waste of money
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 21, 2010 11:45 AM BST