Profile for Totnamscratch > Reviews

Totnamscratch

Awful Auntie
Awful Auntie
by David Walliams

5.0 out of 5 stars ... set present and I am sure my granddaughter will love it., 3 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Awful Auntie (Hardcover)
I also bought this to go with the box set present and I am sure my granddaughter will love it.

The World of David Walliams: Best Boxset Ever
The World of David Walliams: Best Boxset Ever
by David Walliams

5.0 out of 5 stars This box set is a great present for any child that loves reading, 3 Nov. 2014
I bought this box set for my granddaughter's 8th birthday, she is an avid reader. Having read the Demon Dentist, she was desperate for more David Walliams books. This box set is a great present for any child that loves reading, Lila has nearly finished the Gangster Granny and absolutely loves it!

Anything that gets children reading is more than welcome.

American Pastoral
American Pastoral
by Philip Roth

5.0 out of 5 stars Totnamscratch Not easy. Hugely rewarding, 27 Aug. 2013
This review is from: American Pastoral (Paperback)
American Pastoral is the first and only novel I have read, so far, by this author. At first, attracted initially by the storyline and the award of a Pullitzer Prize, I found it heavy going. I think this was a combination of getting familiar with Roth's style and his attention to detail. However in persevering l was immensely rewarded. This is an epic tale in which the characters are exposed to a huge range of personal triumphs, tragedies and pretty much everything in between. Sucked in, I hoped desperately that the central character's beloved factory, workforce and neighbourhood, his "American Dream", would somehow escape the brutal onslaught of modern economic rationalism, youthful alienation and urban terrorism, but as with those closest to him, these monolithic, heart rendering events brush nurture and nature aside. For all that this is not a book that left me feeling in any way despondent. On the contrary it is packed with every positive human quality imaginable and the belief that whatever may or may not be accomplished the desire to "do the right thing" is paramount. I will certainly read other novels by this author and probably re-visit this one.

Dream Attic (Deluxe Edition)
Dream Attic (Deluxe Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lead us to the dance Richard!, 4 Dec. 2010
I've bought and listened to a lot of RT's output,though not all, going back to those jaw-dropping guitar breaks with the original Fairport.(I was lucky,right place,right time-for once!) Since then I've got used to not being conciously "hooked" by his many recordings after one sitting. This album,then,was no different."Dunno about that.Play it again!" Then I take a break but something rattles around and won't go away. This time it was,at first, Track 2 "Among The Gorst,Among The Grey". This hurts! It is mournfull! It is tragic! Above all It's Real-It Happens! This is a stand out charactaristic of RT's work. Much of it requires effort,"Burning Man"and"Crime Scene" are as dark as they are contemporary, but they totally belong to his chosen genre. This is "Folk Rock" at it's very best."Sidney Wells" sits comfortably here. It's folk and it rocks! The contribution of Joel Zilkin and the other members of this excellent band should not be under-estimated here. There are no bad tracks on this album. "The Money Shuffle", at first, seems lyrically crude, but it reflects perfectly, the reality most of us, unfortunately, suffer. "Haul Me Up","Stumble On","Bad Again" and best of all "Demons In Her Dancing Shoes"(It makes me want to dance!) are reminiscent of past classics (E.g."Cook's Ferry Queen"), and are as urban as the Piccadilly Line. "Here Comes Geordie" works musically. Great Band Again! But if it's the geordie I'm thinking of he ain't worth the mention. "Big Sun Falling...." Richard seems well practised in the lyrics of loosing a love. His pain is beautifully described as it is just as lovingly in "A Brother Slips Away". The loss of someone, a contemporary, close or remote, takes you back. Folk music like The Blues goes to the darkest corners of mankind's soul and,like The Blues, it lifts us, with jigs, reels and words that take us to another place. Which brings us to the final track "If Love Whispers Your Name". Again Richard's lyrics simply describe the emotions we've all experienced.It hurts but it's worth it. Richard Thompson does not do safe and his guitar playing on this track goes right to the edge, and it's an ecstatic place to be! This album definitely benefits by being recorded live. If you get the chance to hear The RT Band live don't miss it. Either way buy this album!