Profile for James B > Reviews

Would I Lie To You - Series 4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rob Brydon
Price: 5.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious Panel Show!, 7 July 2012
I bought this DVD because I had seen the show on television and thought it was absolutely hilarious.

Host Rob Brydon and team captains Lee Mack and David Mitchell are all extremely funny and work really well together. The guests on the show are usually quite well known and very entertaining. On occasions this show has made me laugh to the point where my eyes have been watering.

In addition to the eight full episodes, there's also a really amusing additional episode called "Unseen Bits". This is a compilation episode (about 30 minutes long) that shows some of the bits that weren't included in the main episodes of the series. This is a fantastic extra and makes the DVD an even more worthwhile purchase.

I would highly recommend this show to anyone who has seen it on television and enjoyed it. If you haven't seen it, but it sounds like something you'd enjoy, keep your eyes peeled for it on television and if you enjoy it, this DVD is a great series to buy.

Lighting EVER E27 6 Watt A55 LED Indoor Lighting Energy Efficient Lights Daylight Bulb, White
Offered by Neon Mart

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant LED Bulb!, 7 July 2012
I purchased this bulb for a desk lamp. I have always been a fan of low energy lighting, but previously had only used compact fluorescent bulbs (normal energy saving bulbs) - this was my first LED bulb. I was very keen to try this and see how it compares to other low energy bulbs available.

The first thing to note is that this bulb has no warm up time what so ever, simply turn on the light, and it's immediately at maximum brightness. The light itself is very bright & of reasonable quality - I ordered the "Daylight White" version of this bulb and the colour is really nice, and "Daylight" as described. The only problem I did notice is that the light is very "directional" - the area directly in front of the bulb receives considerably more light than surrounding areas.

There are some very impressive figures when it comes to the power consumption and life expectancy of the bulb. Firstly, it only uses 6 watts - standard low energy lamps with the same light output typically use about 10 watts and incandescent bulbs with the same light output use 50 watts, so a clear reduction in energy consumption there. The bulb's lifespan is incredible. It is estimated to last for 30,000 hours (the box states that if used for 3 hours per day, it should last for 18.26 years). Again, this is much better than low energy & incandescent competitors (low energy typically 10,000 hours & incandescent only 1,000 hours). Heat output is also unbelievably low, this bulb generates virtually no heat at all, even after several hours of continuous use.

To conclude, I would highly recommend this bulb to anyone looking for a bright light that uses very little energy without the draw backs of standard low energy lamps. This really is a "best of both worlds" product for me - all the advantages of the incandescent bulbs (instant start-up & no flickering) whilst also having the advantages of the standard low energy lamps (doesn't use much energy & long life expectancy).

Lloytron L958NB Desk Lamp, Navy Blue
Lloytron L958NB Desk Lamp, Navy Blue
Price: 9.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Device - Does It's Job Very Well!, 3 July 2012
This is a fantastic lamp in my opinion. A very simple product, but nevertheless, a very good one. The lamp arrived in a cardboard box & was very well packaged. After removing the packaging, I inspected the lamp and found that it was a sturdy & well-built product - not necessarily what you might expect given the price tag. Aesthetically, it is very pleasing - I ordered the blue coloured version of this lamp and it looks great!

The lamp uses an E27 (Edison Screw) type bulb with a maximum wattage of 40. This is a relatively common bulb type to get hold of, which is a bonus. I have only used low energy lamps with this product and I have found the lamp assembly to be slightly too small for these types of bulbs. I am currently using an LED bulb (Lighting EVER E27 6 Watt A55 LED Bulbs, Replace 50 Watt Incandescent Bulb, Indoor Lighting, Energy Efficient Lights, Daylight White) and this extends out of the lamp assembly slightly - I think normal incandescent bulbs will have no problem fitting into this lamp however.

When it comes to using the lamp, simply plug it into a mains electricity socket & then use the switch on the base to turn the light on or off - simple as that! The quality of the light produced is very much dependent on the bulb that is used, but I have found that the lamp produces a reasonably even spread of light on my desk.

All in all, a very straight forward product to use that does a great job - if you're looking for an inexpensive, but good quality desk lamp, then I would highly recommend this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2013 12:08 PM GMT

Sony MDR-E 818 LP  Headphones
Sony MDR-E 818 LP Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Earphones!, 2 July 2012
I bought these earphones in December 2011 to replace the earphones included with my MP3 player (SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8GB MP3 Player with Radio and Expandable MicroSD/SDHC Slot - Black). I am still seven months on very pleased with my purchase. I immediately noticed a slight improvement in sound quality compared to the earphones included with my MP3 player.

One of the attributes these earphones have which I particularly like is the low sound leakage, meaning that music can be played a quite high volumes without sound disturbing surrounding people. I don't tend to have music on very loudly, but on the rare occasions where I have, I've been surprised at just how low the sound leakage is (I tested this by removing the earphones and simply pointing them away from my face - I virtually couldn't hear a thing). The earphones were supplied with a pair of ear buds to fit over each earphone. In my opinion, these make the earphones very comfortable and secure in my ears - they are very fiddly to fit though.

In terms of the earphones themselves, I think they are very stylish. The connector is a standard 3.5mm jack (standard size), so these earphones can be used with the majority of devices. The length of the cable (stated as 1 metre) is perfectly adequate for what I use the earphones for (listening to music with my MP3 player clipped to my belt or using my computer). Having silver, reflective parts with the brand name on the ear pieces themselves adds a bit of colour to the otherwise all black earphones. Durability is fantastic - they still sound as good as they did on day one and work perfectly, despite me dropping my MP3 player occasionally with these earphones being the only thing stopping the MP3 player landing on the ground.

Overall, I would highly recommend these earphones for their sound quality, durability and style. They make an excellent replacement for earphones included with MP3 players, as they're not too expensive, but certainly are high quality.

Offered by PreisCompany
Price: 50.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic MP3 Player!, 2 July 2012
I've had my Sansa SanDisk Clip+ since August 2011 and eleven months on, I still like it so much that I feel compelled to write a review about it. This is quite a long review, but the final paragraph summarises my overall view of the device.

The MP3 player was supplied with a quick start guide, a pair of earphones and a short USB charge cable. Getting started was straight forward. Simply charge the battery using the USB cable supplied and you're good to go! The MP3 player's battery life is very good in my opinion. It takes approximately 3 hours to fully charge from empty. When fully charged, I find that it lasts for roughly 12 hours before becoming completely empty. A computer is typically required to charge the MP3 player by USB, but the instruction manual does state that mains chargers & car chargers are available separately however, I have not been able to find any official SanDisk chargers in the UK.

Adding music to the Sansa Clip+ is an absolute breeze. The MP3 player offers three computer connection methods for adding music. One where the MP3 player will synchronise with Windows Media Player, one where the device behaves just like a USB memory stick, and one where the MP3 player automatically chooses one of the two previous options. I chose the method where the Sansa Clip+ is treated as a USB memory stick, meaning that I can add music using simple drop and drag.

Playing music is, in my experience, where this MP3 player truly excels. There are options to browse music by Artist, Album, List of Songs, Genre, Recently Added Songs, Top Rated Songs, Playlists, Folder or simply "Play All" (which plays all songs on the MP3 player). This means that it is incredibly easy to find a particular song, as there is no need to search through a long list of tracks - simply choose the Artist and / or Album and then the song. There's also a "Play All" button for each artist or album, so playing all songs by an artist or all songs on an album is very simple too. Additionally, there are "Shuffle" and "Repeat" functions, which work well.

Having read numerous reviews about very low volume on the "Europe" region setting, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the volume on this setting was plenty for me...in a quiet room that is. The volume however, simply wasn't loud enough for me when used outdoors or anywhere even slightly noisy. If you like your music loud, or you intend to use the MP3 player anywhere even remotely noisy, you may find the "Europe" setting too quiet. The included earphones were really good in my opinion, although I'm not an expert. I used them with the MP3 player until the sound suddenly stopped working in one ear after just under four months. Fortunately, the earphone socket on the MP3 player fits a standard 3.5mm jack (standard size), so it is easy to find replacement earphones. I replaced the included ones with some similar ones (Sony MDR-E 818 LP Headphones) and I did notice an increase in sound quality, but not by a huge amount.

In addition to the music playback from the MP3 player, there's also a marvellous FM Radio. Auto-tuning works well, finding all of the available stations and storing them as presets. The quality of the sound is good with the radio, but it does have a strange tendency to lose the signal, even when I'm not moving very much, and to restore the signal strength, I simply tune the radio out and in again and the sound is suddenly back to normal. I have also tested the voice recorder briefly and have to say that it's quite impressive. I found I had to turn the volume up slightly when playing back recordings as they were a bit quiet, but they picked my voice up from the other side of the room.

The MP3 player itself is extremely small. It is approximately the size of a matchbox. This small size certainly doesn't mean a lack in performance, ease of use, or storage space. The display is very bright and clear. I have the 8GB version of the MP3 player, which currently is ample storage space for me - I have 487 MP3 tracks (average track length: 4 minutes & 14 seconds) on the device and that is using 53% of the available space. If more space is required, there's an SD card slot to expand the storage.

To summarise, I think this is an excellent MP3 player and absolutely fantastic value for money. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a simple device that doesn't hold back on functionality or performance. I like this so much that if it were to break tomorrow, I would order this same one again as its replacement. I really cannot think of anything that could be done to improve this device.

Hot [+Digital Booklet]
Hot [+Digital Booklet]
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Album!, 21 Jun 2011
I've had this album for just over two weeks now and I've been listening to it pretty much non-stop ever since.

I like every single song on this album. It includes the singles already released: Hot, Amazing, DéJà Vu, 10 Minutes and Sun Is Up, which are all great, as well as several new ones, which are just as brilliant. Personally, I think Love, On & On and Days Night are the best of the new ones, but they are all excellent.

The MP3 Download version of this album includes a Digital Booklet, which contains all of the song lyrics and track listings.

This really is a superb album. If you're a fan of Inna, or you like dance music, I would highly recommend this album, every song is a 5 out of 5.

SanDisk 4GB Cruzer USB 2.0 Flash Drive - Black
SanDisk 4GB Cruzer USB 2.0 Flash Drive - Black
Offered by UK Supplies
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply does its job very well and in style., 5 Dec 2010
I bought this USB flash drive as I wanted to transfer files between computers with minimal fuss. This does the job wonderfully.

It installs just like any other flash drive, just plug it in, wait a few seconds, and up pops a message saying it's ready to use (on Vista)...so getting started was easy...and from there, things got even better.

Moving files to and from the flash drive is very quick and easy, using simple drag and drop.

In terms of the design of the memory stick, I particularly like this one because there is no cap to lose. Also, there is a light on this flash drive to indicate that it's working...and it's cleverly positioned in the sliding mechanism. It's a bright orange light, which slowly fades on and off whilst the flash drive is plugged in and inactive, and flashes very quickly when moving files. I mentioned this as I think it makes the flash drive look very stylish.

Overall, I highly recommend this USB flash drive, as it's inexpensive, and does its job brilliantly, and in style.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2011 2:51 PM BST

Sonic Mega Collection (PC DVD)
Sonic Mega Collection (PC DVD)
Offered by Gameseek
Price: 9.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Sonic Mega Collection Plus...Mega Fun!!!, 5 Dec 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Having never played Sonic before, I wasn't sure what to expect from this collection of games however, I have to say that I really like them. I have had a lot of fun exploring all of the games and even more fun playing them. They are interesting and well structured.

Although the product specifications do not indicate that the games are compatible with Windows Vista, they run perfectly on my Vista computer. I was expecting this collection to slow down my computer quite a bit too, but they don't, they have hardly any impact on my system performance and run very well.

My only complaint is that the instructions which appear in the software itself are not for the computer versions of the games, which makes them a bit of a waste of time.

Overall, I'd say that this is a fantastic collection of games, and I highly recommend them, particularly for the price.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2011, 3 PC, 1 Year Subscription (PC)
Kaspersky Internet Security 2011, 3 PC, 1 Year Subscription (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very high protection...almost perfect!, 8 Aug 2010
This is a bit of a long review so if you want my brief summary on Kaspersky Internet Security 2011, take a look at the last 2 paragraphs.

---

After using Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 for just over a year, I decided to give the 2011 version a try. I waited for the first critical fix to be released as sometimes the first release can be a bit unstable. The critical fix 1 is available from Kaspersky's website, which you can upgrade to free if you have a valid license.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 (KIS 2011) has really impressed me so far, but there are just one or two problems with it at the moment.

I'll start with the good points:

The interface has improved in KIS 2011, compared to previous versions. Everything is laid out very well, making items easy to find, and the whole application looks very smart and neat. The settings menu is very impressive and is organised and categorised very well. KIS 2011 can be customised to the nth degree to give total flexibility to the user on how the software functions.

The one really, really great thing about KIS 2011 is safe run, which is split up into two sections:
1. The first option is called "Safe Run for Applications". When you click this, it loads a virtual desktop which takes about 10 seconds. From then, you can run potentially dangerous programs on the copy of the original desktop without risking any damage to the main desktop. You can exit the virtual desktop, and swap between virtual and actual desktop at any time. You can also clear all safe run data if you wish with a single click to destroy all activity in safe run.
2. The other safe run component is called "Safe Run for Websites". Safe run for websites is specifically designed to protect you from online identity theft, but can also be used to prevent malware from being downloaded. When starting safe run for websites the browser loads with a green border surrounding it. The browser then has no access to your system (which is a nuisance if you want to access your favourites), which means that confidential data cannot be retrieved from the system by bad guys and malware cannot be downloaded.

Updates occur very frequency (5 or 6 times a day usually) so the software is always really up-to-date, a crucial factor in keeping a system virus free. The detection rates offered by Kaspersky are superb. I've been lucky enough not to encounter any malware since installing KIS 2011, but I know that previous versions of Kaspersky have had excellent detection rates, so I suspect that this is the same.

Finally, I really like the new desktop gadget that comes with KIS 2011 (it only works on Windows Vista and Windows 7). It makes it easy to see the protection status of the system without needing to open up the software, very useful if you're out of the room and miss an alert message. It's worth noting that it only works on the Windows Sidebar.

Unfortunately, there are one or two problems with KIS 2011:

For starters, the scans speeds are terrible! A full scan took four and a half hours the first time I ran one, which is ridiculous compared to 45 minutes with KIS 2009. A ran a second scan a few days later which only took two and a half hours, but is still very long.

Another problem with KIS 2011 is that is has slowed my system down a lot. Log on and log off times seem to be much longer now than they were with KIS 2009.

Internet Explorer is the only majorly supported web browser. Many functions, for example the URL advisor and the blocking of malicious scripts only function in Internet Explorer. Support for other browsers if definitely needed.

My final moan has got to be with safe run for applications. I really like this feature, as it's a very clever and sophisticated way to protect a system however, some of the basic Windows applications don't load in safe run, including windows installer, which of course gave me problems when I tried to install applications in safe run. So far, I haven't been able to test anything at all in safe run, which is very disappointing. I'm not sure if this is just my computer, as I haven't heard any other cases of this happening.

---

To summarise, KIS 2011 is excellent software, with very advanced protection techniques but there are a few problems which need to be addressed - Kaspersky are very good at addressing and correcting such problems, so hopefully in the not-too-distant future, these problems will be eliminated through another program update.

Finally, I highly recommend KIS 2011. The detection rates are very high and the protection offered by the software is extremely strong, and I'd say it's worth every penny...please be advised that you can buy an older version of the software (which costs less...I recommend KIS 2009) and upgrade to KIS 2011 for free by going to Kaspersky's website, and the license key will work with the newer version.

NEWLink USB to PS/2 Keyboard & Mouse Cable
NEWLink USB to PS/2 Keyboard & Mouse Cable
Offered by Manchester Case--Ships from HK station
Price: 1.30

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin!, 3 Aug 2010
For me, it worked perfectly and allowed me to connect a PS/2 keyboard to a USB port on my computer.

I only gave it 4 stars because it isn't of very high quality and I think with frequent use it wouldn't last very long.

Page: 1 | 2