Profile for S. L. Bradley > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Finding Mr McGuire
Finding Mr McGuire

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story, 24 Feb 2013
An easy to read, well structured book; I zipped through it in my coffee breaks!

The story moves along at a good pace with a mix of interesting characters, clues and twists to keep you entertained. It's a war story, mystery and a love story rolled into one. The attention to detail - language use, scene setting and descriptions of the seaside town - makes for an absorbing read.

Only giving it 4 stars instead of 5 as it's quite short for adult readers (but perfect for younger readers).

The Boy Who Sneaks in my Bedroom Window
The Boy Who Sneaks in my Bedroom Window

1.0 out of 5 stars Just awful, 31 Jan 2013
Fantastic idea for a story, quickly and confidently destroyed by a horrible writing style and hateful characters. I tried very hard to get through this, made it about 65% before I had to stop and remove it from my kindle. Nothing redeeming to say about it at all. Just awful.

Did I read a different book to the other reviewers? Paid less than £1.50 and I still feel ripped off.

Forever Is Over
Forever Is Over

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully woven, 10 Feb 2012
This review is from: Forever Is Over (Kindle Edition)
I persevered past the overuse of exclamation marks early on, ignored the grammatical errors (I put some down to character formation) and was glad I did. This is a charming story of life and love over a long period. There's no unnecessary drama - it's a touchingly realistic tale - and yet no dull bits, a genuine page turner. The use of peripheral characters to give perspective on events was inspired. Life affirming and so enjoyable.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 10, 2012 10:41 PM GMT

Twelve Days of Christmas
Twelve Days of Christmas

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, 4 Feb 2012
A good holiday read - a strong main character, lots of red herrings and general good humour. No big surprises for the ending - despite the very strange relationship twists! In short, ridiculous, predictable and easy to read.

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique concept, 3 Feb 2012
I liked this book, the author conveyed the sense of confusion and fear very effectively. The complex relationships between the main character and the people around her are handled beautifully and the concept of who to trust when everyone you meet is new every day was gripping. I'm splitting hairs, but (without giving anything away) I felt the ending was a touch made-for-film and for me, it let the book down slightly. Nonetheless, an enjoyable read and a unique premise.

Trick
Trick

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 3 Feb 2012
This review is from: Trick (Kindle Edition)
I found this book refreshing, engaging and a complete gem. Stayed up late to finish it as I was gripped - I found myself caring about how it was going to turn out for Trick (it wasn't easy to tell how it would end). My favourite thing about this book was how much I loved Trick as a character and like other reviewers, I felt like I really got into the character's head. The relationship between Trick and his mum is insightful and heart warming.

Beautifully written, loved it.

Against All Odds: The Most Amazing True Life Story You'll Ever Read
Against All Odds: The Most Amazing True Life Story You'll Ever Read

2.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed, 3 Feb 2012
Bought the book on the strength of the reviews, and sadly was disappointed. The recounting of systematic abuse in the state care system is harrowing and desperately sad. As a narrative, I found it conflicting and repetitive. Although there is a lot of positive reference to a life turned around and explicit rejection of the idea of the author being a criminal, there is also ample reference to behaviour that many would consider unacceptable regardless of circumstance. Huge credit due to Paul for turning his life around after such a cruelly deprived start, and sorry the book just wasn't my thing.

The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems (By Teaching You How to Ask the Right Questions): Sleeping, feeding and behaviour - beyond the basics through infancy and toddlerdom
by Tracy Hogg

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifesaver, 18 Aug 2007
It's very subjective, but we found Tracy Hoggs books superb. I think it depends what you take from baby advice books - as guiding principals or a strict presciption.

The reason I'm a fan of the Baby Whisperer books is that having read a number of alternative approaches, I felt it fitted best with what we wanted to achieve which is trust between parents and baby. I didn't want to teach my son that when he's upset, no one comes.

Although Tracy is ok with dummies I absolutely hate them and wouldn't buy one. You don't have to take any advice by the letter, but the overall gist of these books is appealing and based on building your childs esteem from day 1 - basically believing that they CAN self soothe, they CAN indicate needs and they CAN eat well if you go with the flow and don't make a big deal of small things.

We might have been lucky, baby's personality is such a big factor, but our spirited baby (now toddler) has been a superb sleeper, napper and eater from about 3 months - and we credit Tracy's approach.

We still rely on this book and the toddler book as essential reference material.

Annabel Karmel's New Complete Baby & Toddler Meal Planner - 4th Edition
Annabel Karmel's New Complete Baby & Toddler Meal Planner - 4th Edition
by Annabel Karmel

5.0 out of 5 stars The only book I used for weaning, 18 Aug 2007
Found this book so good I used nothing else to get my son onto solids. Plenty of variety in the purees and there were very few that my son didn't like. There are plenty of the first stage weaning recipes which give you good ideas for older children (eg I sneak courgettes into mashed potato thanks to the excellent courgette gratin)

I started using lots more recipe books as we moved from baby to toddler, as I find most of the toddler recipes in this one are a bit bland for my husband and I. I'd say it's not to be considered a family recipe book (I don't think it intends to be either as Annabel has a separate family recipe book out!)

Baby 2 is on the way and I will be relying on this book again.

Sign with Your Baby: How to Communicate with Infants Before They Can Speak
Sign with Your Baby: How to Communicate with Infants Before They Can Speak
by Joseph Garcia

2.0 out of 5 stars Just didn't use this, 18 Aug 2007
Bought this with the best intentions, but am reviewing it on the basis that I didn't get much beyond chapter 2 .. Might be a fabulous book, but honestly if you have the time and energy to get through this and start a learning program when you have a baby a couple of months old you're a better parent than I am.

For me, in the early days, I found it much more natural to tune into what my baby needed- ie: combine knowledge of your child with reading natural signs (eg The Baby Whisperer) than work on teaching him how to tell me.

Further, I found I used my own signs naturally when I said certain words which my son picked up on.

I read that children who learn sign language like this as babies don't end up better off in terms of language, so it really is a balance between the effort of following a program like this with the benefits you get for the months before your child starts making their own sounds and signs to tell you what they need.

However you do it, you need all the other members of the household to be on board to avoid baby getting frustrated with a family member/parent who isn't as tuned in.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 8, 2008 12:55 PM GMT