Profile for Chris Rust > Reviews

Content by Chris Rust

Chris Rust (Sheffield, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Baratza Preciso Coffee Grinder, 180 W
Baratza Preciso Coffee Grinder, 180 W

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a happy customer, 24 Jun. 2015
I bought this a year ago to go with my Fracino Espresso Machine, so I was looking for a consistent fine grind suitable for a traditional espresso machine. I was particularly interested in this machine because it allowed dispensing straight into the filter and it's claimed that there is very little ground coffee retained in the machine after each grind, so no stale coffee hanging around which is vital for a home machine used for only one or two coffees at a time.
The grind was OK although I was concerned that I had to set it very close to its finest grind to get a decent espresso, not what the manual indicates. But the portafilter holder is pathetic, stupid design, 20% of the coffee goes anywhere but into the filter making a mess and a waste. I resorted to holding the filter up against the coffee chute to ensure catching all the grains and, when making several coffees in succession, that just caused the grounds to back up into the chute and eventually clog the grinder completely, leading to burnt grounds caked horribly together before I realised what was going on. Then the plastic retaining ring on top of the grinding wheels broke (not surprising)
After a morning spent painstakingly cleaning the grinder of all its rock hard burnt grounds in inaccessible places (it doesn't dismantle completely) and obtaining a replacement plastic ring, I experimented with various ways of funnelling the coffee into the portafilter and eventually came up with a bodged up method involving part of a plastic cup and some Sugru.
So that worked fine but recently I cleaned the filter, tapped it to encourage some ground coffee to fall from the hopper area and it no longer works. It wasn't a big tap, just gently knocking the body of the grinder on the counter top once, but it seems to have dislodged an electrical connection.
So I've lost patience, the grind isn't really as fine as I need, the machine is unreliable and the dispensing system is pathetic.

Grindenstein Knock Out Box Black
Grindenstein Knock Out Box Black
Offered by S-PRESSIMO_1

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm using this Grindestein box with a Fracino espresso machine ..., 16 Jan. 2015
I'm using this Grindestein box with a Fracino espresso machine. If the puck needs a particularly hard bash to release it and doesn't come out cleanly, with this box you often get some coffee grounds scattering on your worktop. I'm looking for a box with the bar near the front and less of a cutaway.

Clarinet Pack-a-Stand - stores in bell
Clarinet Pack-a-Stand - stores in bell
Offered by Dawkes Music Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little lightweight tiny stand for travelling, 8 Jan. 2015
Great, very small, packs inside the clarinet bell. Not completely stable as it's so small and light but ideal for those situations where you have nowhere to put the clarinet and don't want to carry around a bigger stand.

OSS MSA9508 Posi-Lok Side Mount Boom
OSS MSA9508 Posi-Lok Side Mount Boom

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely useful gizmo, 8 Jan. 2015
Great adaptor to fit two mics to a boom stand, allows me to mic up a clarinet with two mics to cover all the sound holes. Also I've combined it with a lightweight music stand (with the music holder removed), to make a very light, small pack size mic stand that I can take on a bicycle (with my tiny PA and travel guitar)

Tone Deaf Music A-Frame Guitar Stand for Electric or Acoustic Guitars
Tone Deaf Music A-Frame Guitar Stand for Electric or Acoustic Guitars

3.0 out of 5 stars OK if you want a floor stand, 8 Jan. 2015
It's OK, a bit more compact and packable than my previous guitar stand, but I much prefer my Kinsman Clamp Hanger bought at the same time.

LE 6W R50 E14 Reflector LED Bulbs, 45W Incandescent Bulb Equivalent, 480lm, Warm White, 2700K, LED Light Bulbs
Offered by Neon Mart

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't work, avoid, 8 Jan. 2015
Bought two of these, both stopped working within a month

Stagg MUS-ARM 1 Small Music Stand Plate With Arm
Stagg MUS-ARM 1 Small Music Stand Plate With Arm

1.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended, badly made., 8 Jan. 2015
Kind of OK until one of the clamps just gave up working, looking closely at it I can't see how it could ever work, cheap production, weak design.

Lacor-62933-30 CMS. ST.STEEL GRILL TONG
Lacor-62933-30 CMS. ST.STEEL GRILL TONG

5.0 out of 5 stars Every cook needs these, 8 Jan. 2015
These are great, much better than the usual clumsy kitchen tongs. We use them all the time and they make great presents for cooking friends too.

Kinsman Clamp Hangar - Guitar
Kinsman Clamp Hangar - Guitar

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, I've been wasting my money on floor stands., 8 Jan. 2015
Really good solution to the problem of what to do with your guitar during a gig (apart from play it of course), especially if floor space is cluttered. If you have a music stand, microphone stand or speaker stand handy it's perfect. At home it lives on my music stand so everything I need for a practice session is in one place.

The Wit and Wisdom of Nigel Farage [Blank book]
The Wit and Wisdom of Nigel Farage [Blank book]
by Ebury Press

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 Jan. 2015
I've sent copies of this book to all my UKIP supporting friends. A bargain (cost me nothing in fact)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13