Profile for Mr. Andrew Scott > Reviews

Content by Mr. Andrew Scott

Mr. Andrew Scott (Edinburgh, Scotland)

The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 8 Jun 2013
I've read just about every diet book on the market over the last 20 years looking for "the answer," the understanding that finally helps me shed my excess 6 stones (84 lbs!). I've even read and tried, but only with partial success, the original Atkins diet book. But nothing ever really stuck with me for more than a few weeks before I was back-sliding and looking for something else. This book changed everything. It filled in my understanding of low-carb dieting and put both the research basis and practicalities in place to make cutting carbs really work for me. As I have a scientific background (physics), I find it very hard to take seriously the low fat diet hypothesis (no evidence) and I cringe when someone says something about calories in/calories out, but this is a book written by people who actually understand their subject area deeply and their scholarship leaps off the page.
Cut a long story short: in my 40th year in the planet (32nd year as an obese person; 20th year as grossly obese), I have finally shed a ton of weight without any adverse effects (no headaches, lethargy, cotton-mouth, weird palpitations, and NO CRAVINGS) and feel better than I have in 2 decades. My stomach acid (which led to 2 ulcers) has gone completely - well, I mean, it is there but not causing any discomfort. The second best thing about this book, after the astonishing ease with which it's advice and understanding led me to lose weight, is that it fills in so many gaps in understanding that previous low carb and other diet books left. That means that I finally have proper answers for when doctors, colleagues and family get all stressed out with my diet being composed of about 95% (by calories) meat, fish and eggs. Though, their tone has changed over the last few months as they see that I am losing weight, full of energy (like, who knew sport was fun and the "let's do sport" feeling could come on spontaneously!), have overcome my severe forgetfulness, don't take proton pump inhibitors anymore, have cut my blood pressure from high 150s over mid 90s to low 120s over low 80s (happened in the first WEEK to those who claim it was the weight loss) without meds, sleep better than I can remember and feel like a new person.
I know this is a bit gushy (not a characteristic normally attributed to me), but these two authors have given me a new lease of life. Buy a few copies of this book; read one and give the rest to your doctor, dentist, nutritionist, local govt/state delegates, just basically everyone who needs a bracing dose of science and an understanding of how to fix things by changing what we all put in our mouths.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2014 5:03 PM BST

IB Mathematics Standard Level Course Book: Oxford IB Diploma Programme
IB Mathematics Standard Level Course Book: Oxford IB Diploma Programme
by Paul La Rondie

1.0 out of 5 stars The Worst Course Text I have Ever Used, 27 May 2013
I have been teaching mathematics at all high school levels for 17 years and have used every imaginable resource around. I'm generally held to be a very good teacher and typically get outstanding results for my students. Last year I had the misfortune of agreeing to use this as the set text for a senior maths course (for generally able but not necessarily mathematically gifted students) and I can say that it is, by a large margin, the worst decision of my professional life. The book is superficially attractive and certainly does cover all the relevant work; what only emerges on using it, however, is just what a poor job it does of fostering any solid mathematical and analytical skill around the topics covered.
I take it as axiomatic that a good textbook has 3 essential features: 1)a concise explanation of the main concepts, 2) relevant examples that explicate the main ideas and give a variety of methods of tackling problems in that area and, crucially, 3) a large selection of well-graded problems that start at the level of drill and practice and develop gradually to really testing problems that stretch and satisfy the most able students. This book does a reasonable-ish job of the first point and a deplorable job of the other two. The examples make some ideas clearer but are rarely relevant to the problems that follow in a way that helps the student start solving them and the number and grading of the problems that follow each section is meagre (try 4 or 5 problems) and often the educational equivalent of scaling a cliff face (one that leans out towards you!).
If this helps make my point any clearer, although it covers all parts of the course I taught, I could find not one single exercise in this book that my students could complete productively. And the students were in universal agreement that it was useless as a learning tool.
To compensate, I spent the year at the photocopier and also dozens of hours of writing my own materials to compensate for the books inadequacies.
Truly, truly shocking. Avoid like the plague!
On the other hand, I highly recommend the original Bostock and Chandler Pure Maths 1 & 2 and the Oxfor University Press Introducing Pure Mathematics and Further Mathematics (and Statistics from the same series). These are books that make a teachers life much better and give an excellent learning experience to the student.
Just my two cents but I hope this helps you avoid making my horrible mistake.
Andrew
PS: I'm sorry to have to tell you that the same problems came to light with the class who were using the Higher Level version of this book also.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 20, 2013 10:34 AM BST