Profile for Cheerful Dragon > Reviews

Content by Cheerful Dragon

Cheerful Dragon "Cheerful Dragon"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Sword in the Stone (Essential Modern Classics)
Sword in the Stone (Essential Modern Classics)
by T. H. White

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm just an over-grown kid!, 11 Nov. 2010
I read this book when I was a child (pre-teen, I think) and loved it. Then I grew up and decided I should read more 'grown-up' books, so I bought T. H. White's 'The Once and Future King'. That contains a version of 'The Sword in the Stone', but that version is pitched at adults and the magic is different. Yes, Wart is still turned into animals, but there's no battle with Madam Mim!

For years I promised myself that I'd buy this book. I'm glad I did. It's like meeting an old friend that you haven't seen for years.

If you have a pre-teen/early-teens child who enjoys funny stories about magic, this is a good book to give them. If you're an over-grown kid who likes funny stories about magic, like me, get this book. If you're an adult who wants more 'grown-up' Arthurian stories, get 'The Once and Future King'. They're both good books.

Platinum Sudoku (Nintendo DS)
Platinum Sudoku (Nintendo DS)
Offered by sellatronic

4.0 out of 5 stars I lost mine to my husband!, 11 Nov. 2010
I got into Sudoku because of Brain Training, and I wanted more puzzles. I bought this game because of the positive reviews, played it a bit, then lent it to my husband. All my scores were overwritten because the game doesn't allow more than one 'profile'. Eventually hubby bought me a new copy!

The easy puzzles get tricky quite quickly, so not something to relax with. If a friend has a copy, you can solve puzzles co-operatively, or compete in a duel to see who can solve the puzzle first. Kakuro is fun, a bit like a crossword with numbers. The easy kakuro puzzles are really easy.

I found the 'coaches' a bit annoying, evidently aimed at the teen - 20something age group.

The best Sudoku game available when I bought my copy, and probably still one of the best.

Aten CS22U 2-Port USB Cable KVM Switch
Aten CS22U 2-Port USB Cable KVM Switch

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little switch, 11 Nov. 2010
I wanted to run a PC and my laptop with the same monitor, keyboard and a wireless mouse. I was a little wary of this product until I read a review that said a wireless mouse will work with this switch. My mouse does work - sort of. If I'm using the laptop and the PC is switched off, the mouse movement is sometimes jerky. This isn't a problem if I'm just word processing, but it is a problem if I'm playing games. Mouse movement is smooth when both machines are on.

My other objection with this product is that each set of output cables is fused together for most of their length, with a hefty, welded 'cable-tie' just a short distance from the plugs. I only have one USB port close to the video socket on my laptop, which means I had to use a USB extension cable for the other USB plug. I have no problem with the indicator light being on the switch body - the switch body sits on top of my PC, where I can see it quite easily.

A previous reviewer said that if you are operating an XP system and a Windows 7 system, the switch defaults to the XP system. Not so! The switch defaults to whichever systemp is connected to output 1. In my case, that's Windows 7. He was right that you have to press the button to switch to the other system before you boot, otherwise the mouse isn't recognised.

New External USB 2.0 Slim CD RW DVD ROM Drive Player For All Netbook, Laptop, PC, MAC - Victorian Systems®
Offered by Victorian Systems

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says it will do!, 31 Oct. 2010
I recently bought a netbook and wanted a CD/DVD drive so I could load some applications on to it. This is reasonably priced, Plug & Play, worked straight out of the box. It comes with two USB cables, one for data and one for power. I didn't need the power cable, so I'm guessing that it's only necessary for older machines. Well worth the money, in my opinion.

The Quest Trio (Nintendo DS)
The Quest Trio (Nintendo DS)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 31 Oct. 2010
I bought this game because I wanted a Mah Jong game and Mah Jong Quest was the most highly recommended. This game was priced at £18, Mah Jong Quest on its own was £12, so it was a simple decision to go for this. Jewel Quest Expeditions is a Match 3 game, Jewel Quest Solitaire is a variation of Tripeaks. All the games start with easy levels and get harder as you go along. It's not long before the games are really challenging.

If you like Mah Jong and card games, I highly recommend this game pack.

Max Value 3.5 inch USB Hard Drive Enclosure for an IDE or SATA Hard Drive
Max Value 3.5 inch USB Hard Drive Enclosure for an IDE or SATA Hard Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't let the lights put you off!, 31 Oct. 2010
A previous reviewer objected to the star-shaped lights. Yes, they look a bit tacky, but they're no reason to avoid this product. Actually, they look like the blue stars I clicked on to rate this item!

I found fitting the hard drive in the enclosure a bit fiddly, although my husband says he wishes everything could be assembled as easily as this was. My only other objection was that it required a good hard push to get the mains power lead securely plugged in to the transformer.

Other than that, the drive worked as soon as I connected it to my PC (Windows XP). It also works with my laptop (Windows 7), so it's a great way of doing back-ups or storing files for use on computers that can't talk to each other (no Homegroups on XP). If you have an old/spare hard drive, buying this enclosure is cheaper than buying an external hard drive, and just as good.

Dr Kawashima's Brain Training: How Old Is Your Brain (Nintendo DS)
Dr Kawashima's Brain Training: How Old Is Your Brain (Nintendo DS)
Offered by PARTYGAMES UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, but..., 9 July 2007
The title says it all. I enjoy this 'game', but its voice recognition leaves a lot to be desired. One of the exercises asks you to say the answer to some basic calculations. I can't get it to recognize '6', amongst other numbers. I avoid Word Memory because the DS keeps mis-interpreting what I write. I have no problem with exercises that ask you to write numbers. I've had to change the way I write '5' (I do it like an 'S'), but that's about it.

Foetal Attraction
Foetal Attraction
by Kathy Lette

2.0 out of 5 stars Screamingly funny? I don't think so!, 28 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Foetal Attraction (Paperback)
I got this book as one of a collection of lucky dip freebies. I read it because I didn't want to just bin it or give it away. The blurb on the back says things like 'wicked' and 'hilarious'. Jilly Cooper calls it 'Screamingly funny'. I didn't laugh once - not even a snigger, not even a smile. Maybe I'm mentally too old for this book, although Jilly Cooper has a few years head start on me physically. If you're into 'chick lit', buy this. If you're into something a little more serious, don't waste your money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2011 10:35 AM GMT

Bleak House [DVD]
Bleak House [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gillian Anderson
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Novel adaptation at its best, 30 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Bleak House [DVD] (DVD)
When the series was announced I borrowed a copy of the book. When I watched the series I was impressed by how closely the book was followed. OK, some bits were missed, but they weren't important. The cast and the acting were superb, both the well-known faces (Gillian Anderson, Timothy West, Charles Dance, Denis Lawson, to name just a few) and the newcomers like Anna Maxwell-Martin and Burn Gorman. In fact, the series was so good that my husband watched every episode, and he's not a fan of serials. I recommend this to everybody who likes good acting and a good story.

Man After Man: An Anthropology of the Future
Man After Man: An Anthropology of the Future
by Dougal Dixon

4.0 out of 5 stars Things look bad for man!, 9 Dec. 2002
This book looks at what may become of man over the next 5 million years, and Dougal Dixon makes the future look bleak. As a result of genetic engineering, man diversifies into a variety of different forms, each suited to different climatic and environmental conditions. Evolution of these forms results in the disappearance of man as he is today.
Not everybody will agree with Dougal Dixon's reasoning, but this is another beautifully illustrated, thought-provoking book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3