Profile for Adele204 > Reviews

My Sister's Keeper
My Sister's Keeper
by Jodi Picoult

4.0 out of 5 stars get the tissues ready, 3 April 2013
This review is from: My Sister's Keeper (Paperback)
If you've seen the film you must read this book, its so much better.
I read this several years ago and couldn't put it down, I think it is the first book that I read that actually made me cry. It is a heart wrenching story of a family touched by cancer and their trials and tribulations. It highlights how everyone in a family is affected by cancer especially the siblings and in this case Anna who is the youngest and was 'born' to help her older sister. Whilst Anna loves her sister she is fed up with keep being used as a 'donor' to her sister and employs her own solicitor to help her.
The story is a real roller coaster of emotions but very enjoyable and as with all Jodie's books has lots of twists and unexpected outcomes

Five Quarters Of The Orange
Five Quarters Of The Orange
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Five Quarters of the Orange, 3 April 2013
Another wonderful book by Joanne Harris.
Set again in the same region as Chocolat and Blackberry Wine we are taken back to it during the German occupation in WW2. The main character (Framboise) was 9 when the Germans occupied her village and the story takes us on her journey to present day and how she comes to terms with her guilt, shame and past. We are provided with the smells, tastes and scents of the time through Joanne Harris's excellent descriptions but this story is a lot darker but still as enjoyable.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2013 11:24 PM BST

Coastliners
Coastliners
Price: 3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Coastliners - Joanne Harris, 3 April 2013
This review is from: Coastliners (Kindle Edition)
I read this book several years ago whilst on holiday in France after previously having read and thoroughly enjoyed Cholcolat, Blackberry Wine and Five Quarters of the Orange. Whilst I did enjoy Coastliners and all its twists and turns I was slightly disappointed that it did not have the tastes, smells and scents of the previous books, one of the reasons I have always enjoyed Joanne's books . Whilst I was engrossed in the plot and felt like I was in the actual village , I found myself looking at the buildings and imagining the characters along side me, when I had completed it I still felt like my senses had missed something, this was when I realised that the tastes and smells were missing
Coastliners is still a good read that provides some wonderful escapism for the reader

Chocolat
Chocolat
Price: 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars don't read if on a diet!, 3 April 2013
This review is from: Chocolat (Kindle Edition)
A wonderful book which does not date and can be read over and over again.
Having initially read this many years ago I still get lost in it each time I re-read it. Joanne Harris brings the village and the chocolate her main character makes and sells come to life, you can feel the inches being added to your hips as you read!.
The story that evolves around our main character, single mother Vianne involves characters from the village that everyone can relate to in some way. The priest is desperate during Lent to save his flock from the temptation of the chocolate shop and all it entails, seeing Vianne and any strangers or visitors to the village as a threat to the stability of his religion and his way of life. Whilst this story has a strong religious vein, don't be put off, it is a great read and the characters are well rounded and it explains life in a small French village and all their trials and tribulations.Just ensure you set yourself plenty of time to read it as once you start you will not want to put it down
The film adaptation of the book (Juliette Binoche & Johnny Depp) is also wonderful.

Blackberry Wine
Blackberry Wine
by Joanne Harris
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars I can still smell and taste the wine..., 3 April 2013
This review is from: Blackberry Wine (Paperback)
What a lovely book. When I initially started reading this book I was not sure if I would enjoy it as much as Chocolat, but as I finished the first chapter I was hooked.
I read this book many years ago but can still taste, smell and hear it... Joanne Harris has a wonderful way with words that brings everything to life and affects all your senses so much that you can taste and smell what she is writing about. This book is no exception and the way the wine bottles 'talk' and release memories ...wonderful

The Pact
The Pact
Price: 4.49

4.0 out of 5 stars the Pact, Jodie Picoult, 3 April 2013
This review is from: The Pact (Kindle Edition)
I read this book several years ago having never heard of Jodie Picoult, since then I am always happy to read her books.
The Pact is an emotional roller coaster of a book (as many of hers books are) that is based on two families (neighbours) who have been the best of friends whilst bringing their families up. If you have not read any of Jodie's books before the concept of jumping back from present day to the past can take some getting used to but do persevere as it all comes together at the end. The story is thought provoking and makes you question just what you would do in a similar situation... I'm still unsure. Whether it is because this was my first Jodie Picoult book I feel this is one of her best.

One Day
One Day
by David Nicholls
Price: 6.95

1.0 out of 5 stars what is all the hype about?, 1 April 2013
This review is from: One Day (Paperback)
A typical example of lots of hype about a book that does not hit the spot.
I like the idea of this story but found I could not bond with the characters and found the whole book a 'chore' to read. I really wanted to like this book and persevered to the end waiting for it to reveal something to me and explain what all the hype was about...I was disappointed and wished I hadn't wasted all that time. I was intending to watch the film but I wont bother now.

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep
by S J Watson
Price: 3.86

4.0 out of 5 stars could not put this down, 1 April 2013
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
What a good read... initially I wondered how this would work, the main character waking each day to not knowing where she was and having to try to make sense of her life having no memory of the previous day or years. Once I got reading I became drawn into the world of Christine (the main character) and had my own ideas of where the story was going to end...I was surprised though with the twist and turns that were involved. I also found myself feeling for the circumstances her husband finds himself in having to explain every day who he is, where things are and reliving various parts of their lives together again. Needless to say I was transported through a range of emotions as the story progressed and Christine began to piece her memory together with the help of her Doctor and a diary.
I understand the film rights have been bought and look forward to seeing it on the big screen, lets hope they do it justice.

Les Miserables 10th Anniversary Concert At The Royal Albert Hall (2 Disc Collector's Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Ball
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.73

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT, 1 April 2013
Excellent anniversary concert to celebrate the long running musical Les Miserables.
The original cast were assembled to perform this 10year celebration to a live audience with a full choir and orchestra. The cast perform all the musical numbers from the show but it is not a full replica of the stage show, it is a celebration of it in an anniversary concert which still takes you on a wonderful journey of emotions (have the tissues ready). Watch out for a special performance by an international company of Jean Valjean's performing 'one more day' as a moving finale to an excellent musical which is proof the musical is celebrated in several languages world wide.

The Host
The Host
by Stephenie Meyer
Price: 7.82

5.0 out of 5 stars better than twilight!, 1 April 2013
This review is from: The Host (Paperback)
Another book recommended by my daughter who wanted me to read it before the film was released. Initially I found the concept hard to get into but after the first couple of chapters I was thoroughly hooked and was unsure who I was rooting for...Mel or Wanderer as they both have redeeming qualities.
Having read all the Twilight Books and thoroughly enjoyed them I was expecting something similar but The Host is a completely different concept and type of book... more mature writing by Stephanie Meyer and whilst it is a love story it is not quiet as predictable as Twilight.
I am off to see the movie today and as the book is so excellent I am unsure if it will live up to the characters and images I have developed in my head.
A must read for all from teen to 99