Profile for Simon Daultrey > Reviews

Content by Simon Daultrey

Simon Daultrey "g3fan" (Dorset, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Lenovo G500 15.6-inch Laptop - Black (Intel Pentium 2020M 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Intel Integrated Graphics, Bluetooth, Camera, DVDRW, Windows 8.1 Home Premium)
Price: 259.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great hardware, riskysystem for the non- computer-savvy, 6 Aug 2014
I've been using an Acer Aspire for a couple of years and when I bought it I was torn between that and a Lenovo. I just bought this Lenovo G500 for my girlfriend and it's been interesting comparing the two.

The Lenovo build quality is MUCH better than the Acer. Yes, it's a slightly thicker and marginally heavier laptop, but it's much more solid and less bendy, defying the plastics that it's built from. The layout of connectivity (power, USB2, USB3, HDMI etc) is nice, and as many have commented, the keyboard has a reassuringly good, quality feel and design.

For every day computing tasks, the hardware is absolutely capable, and I'd venture that the 1TB of hard disc space is possibly overkill. For those needing some extra memory available, don't be put off by the 4GB installed - SODIMM modules are really cheap on amazon, and an upgrade would be worth considering.

Everything else, in terms of hardware (screen, camera, speakers, DVD drive etc), seems to be equal to everything else within the 200 - 500 price range.

My misgivings with the G500 have been entirely to do with Windows 8.1 and, in particular, the extra free software installed. This machine with Windows 7 installed would be a sure 5-star for me.

Make sure you have your WiFi ready, as one of the first parts of the setup process when you first boot the system is to connect to a network, and set up your Microsoft account. It seemed to be quite a lengthy process to get to the point where the laptop was ready to use (MUCH longer than setting up Windows 7), and then I got hit by the bloatware.

I have many years of experience of using different iterations of Windows, and I've built my own PC's, but I still struggled to keep on top of the self-installing, auto-starting rubbish that afflicted Windows 8.1 from my first login. I had to download a third party Program Uninstall utility just to get rid of half of it, and even that wasn't enough to stop the pesky Astromeda and even more hideous AnyProtect.

Thankfully, I managed to get my Bit Defender Internet Security suite (HIGHLY recommended) installed, which then went on to safely remove ten virus-infected files and block another six a few hours later. I have never seen this kind of level of virus activity on a brand new system.

I do believe that Windows 8 is probably going to prove quite easy to get used to, and I can see that it is a good compromise to cover everything from tablets to PC's, but I think it is too liberal with it's automatic seeking and installation of 'apps' that you may not want.

In summary, I think the hardware is great, the operating system needs improving, and the extra stuff that is 'bundled' is shocking. If you already have a copy of Windows 7 available, then you might do well to buy this laptop, wipe the hard drive, and install Win 7 so that you can stay in control of what it's doing!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2014 6:47 PM BST

Acer Aspire 5750 15.6 inch Laptop (Intel Core i5-2430M Processor, 6GB RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit)

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, 18 Jan 2012
I spent a couple of weeks periodically investigating laptop models from various manufacturers and sources, and this one maintained it's place on my wishlist along with one of it's Lenovo equivalents.

I saw some question-mark comments about whether Amazon was selling the 5750g, as spec'ed on this page, or if it was, in fact, the 5750 without the NVidia graphics processor. In the end I decided to order it and consider it a bonus if it was the NVidia chip installed, and so I was really pleased when it arrived, and I found that it is, indeed, the 5750g as detailed.

My first concern on removing the laptop from it's sturdy packaging was that I could hear something small rattling around inside. Having had plenty of prior experience of disassembling and assembling PC's, I removed the screws holding the back cover on the chassis. Trapped within the murky depths was a loose motherboard screw, which plopped out onto the carpet! A little disappointing, but ultimately not a big problem....there's plenty of screws holding a motherboard in place, and it's possible that the one that dropped out was a surplus, dropped inside by a clumsy technician.

I then continued the normal procedure of fitting the battery, plugging in the power supply and "finishing" the Windows setup procedure. Quick and easy, and Win 7 was very quick to finish doing it's jobs. Uninstalling the trial softwares that I don't need (McAffee, Norton storage, Acer Games etc.) was quick and easy, and I had no problem installing the things that I did want.

Connecting to my home internet connection (via cat 5 cable to my netgear router) was way easier than I expected (it did everything itself) and before long I'd installed Google Chrome and iTunes.

So far, everything is working well. I really like the look and feel of this laptop. It's got a nice, quality finish, looks smart, and isn't a terrible magnet for fingerprints, thanks to it's textured finish and off-black hue! The keyboard is much better than any portable I've tried before, I reckon even better than a macbook pro, and the touchpad seems decent too. I've done a quick webcam test (though not yet skyped with it) and it seems ok, perhaps not as good as the 10 USB thing I got for my desktop PC.

I really can't fault this product at the moment. Given the functionality and selection of features, it seems like really good value - 750gb hard drive, 6gb of FAST memory (which can easily be upgraded to 8gb), a dedicated 1gb graphics processor, LED back-lit screen, and a decent Intel i5 processor, plus a legal (!) Windows 7 O.S installed. I couldn't find another laptop this well spec'ed for 550.

I'll update this if I experience any big problems...

Halo: Reach (Xbox 360)
Halo: Reach (Xbox 360)
Offered by Gameseek
Price: 16.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Just not the same..., 23 Sep 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I freely admit that my rating may be on the harsh side. I think if I could give REACH 3.5 stars then I would have.

I hadn't paid much attention to Halo: Reach prior to launch, but after seeing the TV ad campaign and checking out the website I decided to make an impulse pre-order and see what it turned out like.

I dived straight into the career on legendary difficulty, having done the same for all the previous Halo titles (apart from ODST), and I wouldn't say that the campaign was too short, for me, though I can imagine it would have been had I have played on a lower difficulty level.

The quality of video, sound and general finish is impeccable, I was really impressed with the overall level of finish, and was pleased that it lived up to those expectations based on the production quality of previous Halo titles. What it sorely lacks, though, is the gameplay to back it up.

Although the story is still strong, I can't say that it's as good as the Master Chief role of the original trilogy. There's something about the "HOO-RAH, MARINE CORPS, SIR!!" Noble Team storyline that just put me off...lots of big balls and bravado, not much intelligent stuff, which makes a lot of the dialogue a bit embarrassing. It all just feels a bit clumsy and dumbed down compared to playing as Master Chief with only the voice of Cortana in your ear for company.

Coupled with this, the team Artificial Stupidity is simply shocking....it's been a while since I've seen it so bad! For a game where you are told, from the start, that you're meant to "work as a team, none of this heroic going-solo stuff", it's a big let down that your team are nothing but a liability. The number of times that my teammates got themselves stuck in an area of the map, and got left behind, was comical.

I also felt that a large proportion of the beautifully modeled and rendered landscapes were wasted, as the campaign follows a chained hot-spot kind of structure you finish a firefight and then jump in a vehicle where you drive straight to the next firefight. In this way, it is terribly formulaic.

All in all, I'm just not convinced that it was worth it. I think the Halo franchise should have been sealed after Halo Wars, and I would rather see Bungie's renowned production quality invested in something fresh and new.

And I'm not sure who I could recommend it to. Anyone who is a Halo loyalist will have bought it anyway, so I don't need to recommend it to them, and anyone who has never played a Halo game....I would probably recommend the original trilogy to them as it was just more complete, and was the best story!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2010 11:46 PM BST

Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City (Xbox 360)
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City (Xbox 360)
Offered by Super-bargains
Price: 9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 31 Oct 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I actually downloaded the Episodes as and when they came out, but it's the same content, and awesome it is! It is also very much an ADULT title, and I can't stress this enough. Especially The Ballad Of Gay Tony....that 18 certificate is truly there for a reason. Besides, younger people would just not understand the story, or the humour!

The Lost and Damned is an excellent new angle on life in Liberty City. It's all about the bikes and the metal. If you're not into thrash metal, don't worry, it can be avoided most of the time, but it's very much a part of the 'feel' of the episode.....one of grit, and grime and general dirty work.

Packed with new bikes, plus some new cars, and an arsenal of heavy weaponry, TLaD is also brilliantly written, with a story that's as fun, entertaining and exciting as the Niko Bellic story of GTAIV. The missions and story carefully intertwine TLaD with that original Niko Bellic story, so if you played GTAIV (and paid attention) then there will be plenty of people and events that you recognise, without any of them actually being direct ports/repeats from the parent game.

The immersive single-player game of TLaD would be enough to make it worth the alone, with the addition of new activities like Gang Wars and Bike Races, but the multiplayer is just as good, so there's plenty to keep you going.

As if that wasn't enough (which it is), there's also the 3rd 'episode' - The Ballad Of Gay Tony. To my amazement, it is even better than the first 2 episodes. It is a rich and fast-paced world of money, girls, drugs and high society, with addictive new luxury cars, bikes, boats and armaments. There's also the addition of military-grade helicopters, with the Minigun-toting, rocket-firing "Buzzard" being the most indulgently brutal form of transport since the "Hunter" in GTA San Andreas.

TBoGT is wonderfully written, with a story and voice-acting that puts many movies to shame. Again, there's new activites, like Drug Wars, Club Management, Dancing and Drinking Games, plus some new random characters to meet. It's humourous and intelligent and highly addictive, and there's plenty of stuff to keep you going, which, again, includes great multiplayer content.

Rockstar really know how to do it. Nobody else has ever crafted a title that is as complete as the GTAIV series. The quality of writing and design and production is second to none, so I can't rate it highly enough.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2011 8:06 PM BST

Forza Motorsport 3 - Limited Edition (Xbox 360)
Forza Motorsport 3 - Limited Edition (Xbox 360)
Offered by Warby 4 Games & Gifts
Price: 44.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Best suited to Forza Newcomers, 31 Oct 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I have followed Forza since the first game on the original Xbox console, and all the pre-release information about FM3 looked very promising.

Having pre-ordered the LCE and kept track of all the news and info on the Forza site, I was pretty concerned to see all the reports of bugs and errors from other people who recieved the game at launch. I have to admit, I haven't had much trouble with my copy of the game.....some people have had to return their copy of the game because it had been packed without the DLC cards! Turn 10 also had to write and release a bug-fixing patch within a few days of the game's launch. So that's the first problem.

Second problem, in my opinion, is that the claim of "400 cars and 100 tracks" is just clever wording/marketing; most of the cars are carried over from FM2, and many of the cars are multiples of the same model but with different racing liveries. The tracks are worse though - The "100 tracks" figure is inclusive of all ribbons, stages and whether a track is raced in it's normal or reverse direction. Most of them are carried over from FM2, but are lit/textured differently.

There is a handful of new fictional racing environments, which, with their multiple ribbons and layouts, make up a large part of that 100-circuit claim. The Circuit de Catalunya (the Grand Prix track in Spain) has been added, which seems like a strange choice when they could have gone for somewhere with a little charisma to it, like Spa or Monaco or Bathurst. The good addition though is LeMans....the Circuit De La Sarthe! Awesome, it's about time a racing sim had this track.

The physics are generally pretty excellent, and have moved on from the physics of FM2. With all the silly assists turned off, it can feel pretty realistic. This sense of realism is massively heightened by the addition of cockpit modelling - all cars have had their interior modelled so you can race with the in-car view, which is a great improvement. That said, there are reportedly a lot of errors with speedo's that don't work, and there is no gearshift animation, meaning your driver's hand are permanently on the wheel.

Graphics; excellent. It is a very nice looking game and a definite improvement over it's predecessor. There's no time-of-day lighting though, and no weather effects, which I think is a real shame considering it's supposed to be a simulation of real-life driving and racing.

Menus and interface are good....it all makes sense and is nice to look at. It's defintely a game better played on a larger TV though (I'd say 26" or more). Gameplay is ok, but I don't feel like it's really exciting. It all feels a bit sterile in the single-player game modes, which I think is laregly due to Turn 10 over-compromising, trying to make the most realistic racing sim that is also accessible and enjoyable for 4-year-olds. It's a racing sim that also tries to be an arcade game, and I think that is a big mistake.

Multiplayer at the moment is a joke, has been riddled with issues and is the source of massive complaint from the game's community fanbase. I suspect that, too, will be patched in due course.

Photo mode is good, video editor is a slow process ands apparently involves uploading bits and downloading them again and reuploading them and so on, so watch your monthly bandwidth allowance if you want to use this. Paint and livery editor is excellent, as is always the case with Forza, and the new "storefront" means you can now sell your carefully crafted logos and race liveries and paint jobs. Cool!

In summary, I think that FM3 is well worth buying for anybody who's not played Forza before. If you've followed the series though, like me, I can't honestly say it's worth spending 50. The standard edition of the game might be just about worth it, but even then, I would wait until it's on offer, and there's some DLC stuff available, because at the moment, it just feels way too much like you're re-playing the same old stuff.

Visual Sound Theories [DVD] [2007] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Visual Sound Theories [DVD] [2007] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Steve Vai
Offered by RAREWAVES USA
Price: 5.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Vai, absolutely stunning, 10 Feb 2009
Visual Sound Theories is a truly special piece of contemporary performance. If you're anticipating just a bunch of Vai tunes that have been half-heartedly arranged for other instruments, think again.

The painstaking efforts that Vai has gone to, with the help of those involved, has resulted in a unique, vibrant show which is perhaps more Vai than any other. As well as showcasing his prowess as a musician and composer, it also proves that it is possible to entwine the modern with the traditional and create something beautiful.

Some of Vai's best loved tracks (for example, For The Love Of God, Answers, The Attitude Song) sound, in my opinion, better than ever, and what is more, EVERY single instrument and musician is made the most of. Nothing is spared in this show, especially effort.

I think Visual Sound Theories should appeal to a wide audience....it's not just for guitar freaks and Vai-ists. Enthusiasts of cLassical and orchestral music should find it just as refreshing.

Production is, of course, top-notch, sound is great, and the special features are decent too.

This has got to be the best music DVD in my collection, I cannot recommend it enough!

Steve Vai - Visual Sound Theories - Live With The Holland Metrople Orchestra [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steve Vai

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely stunning!, 10 Feb 2009

Assassin's Creed (Xbox 360)
Assassin's Creed (Xbox 360)
Offered by GAMES CONSOLES BARGAIN
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, 9 July 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have actually found this game really enjoyable and I would thoroughly recommend it for it's different feel. It should be noted that it is a single player title with no Xbox Live or multiplayer integration at all, but this is no bad thing....at least it means all efforts have been channelled into making the game good.

Ubi Soft would obviously claim that Assassin's Creed has been built "from the ground up", but it's roots are clearly in the Tom Clancy's titles, especially Splinter Cell. This means you get decent physics, stunning lighting and quality textures on a richly 3D map, plus a solid, well thought-out story.

You play as Desmond Myles, descendent of Altair (al-tie-ear), who has inherited the memory of his ancestors through his DNA. These memories are sought out by a scientific reserach group who are after a lost treasure from ancient times. It's your role to access and play out these memories of ancient times, and in doing so you spend most of your time carrying out the tasks of Altair in the 'simulated' ancient realm.

This all happens in the time of King Richard, between the cities of Damascus (Turkey), Jerusalem, and Acre (England I think), with an expansive rural 'kingdom' connecting the cities, which you cross on horseback!

The combat is all about swords and knives and archery.....no grenades and rocket launchers here....so fights with city guards and the like tend to be pretty intense. The games' big feature is free running; you can scale pretty much anything and leap from roof top to roof top in an effort to disappear.

This is where you can see the re-use of Splinter Cell code....it's all about being low or high profile. If you are discreet you can pass through the cities unnoticed, blending with the crowds and not attracting the attention of any roof guards. Climbing ladders gets you to the rooftops where you can move around more freely, but as you would expect, it gets harder as the game progresses to not attract unwanted attention.

So like Splinter Cell where you use light and shade to control how visible you are, in Assassin's Creed you use discreet and non-discreet behaviour in the same way.

I've found this particularly enjoyable in Assassin's Creed, as you can change the pace of the game in an instant, whenever you like, and it makes the in-between times less tedious as you don't have to creep around everywhere.

There's plenty of side missions and objectives that are well worth doing, and a good haul of gamerscore points available, and also as you progress through the game, you unlock new weapons and abilities. Without this the game would probably get too repetative too quickly, but with this built-in control over your progress it actually helps you develop your skill at controlling Altair's actions.

As you spend more and more time playing, you will find that you can move around the environment much, much faster, and it's at this point where I've been disappointed at how regularly the game/disc has to catch up. It's only perhaps half a second that it hangs for, but it still messes with the flow, and I think it's a symptom of Ubisoft games, where they rush to meet a deadline and release a game with a few unfortunately obvious bugs. It's the same with the Rainbow Six Vegas and Ghost Recon AW stuff.

My only other complaint, as others have mentioned, is that they only recorded one set of dialogue for people that you re-encounter, so for example, when you save a citizen they'll say the same thing the last citizen said in a different city. For the sake of a couple of minutes of extra audio, it would have made a big difference.

Despite these negative points, I still give the game my full recommendation as it's a really fresh approach to 3rd person role-playing action adventure stuff, and the free running is really cool and well done.

The concept lends itself to a franchise, and it'd be great to see a sequel set somewhere different, like feudal Japan.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2011 8:37 AM BST

Halo 3 (Xbox 360)
Halo 3 (Xbox 360)
Offered by Gameline GmbH.
Price: 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Bungie, unashamedly proud, and rightly so, 29 Feb 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Halo 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I am really surprised and baffled by the negative reviews on Halo 3. Bungie put a whole lot of effort into the Halo trilogy and deserve to be really proud of the end result.

Halo was groundbreaking and had the sort of complete, well-finished story and concept that most game studios completely fail to achieve. The story was picked up convincingly in Halo 2 and the gameplay was taken up a notch or two with better environments and more interactivity.

Halo 3 carries the story forward brilliantly, and as soon as you start your campaign it has you captivated.

I had read various comments about it being woefully short, so, with some doubt as to what the trilogy's finale would really be like, I bought it anyway to find out. I jumped into a campaign on Legendary (hardest) difficulty level and was surprised again and again by how long the game was.

It easily took as long to complete as it's predecessors, and had just the same ballance of fun and challenges and new experiences.

I don't know why so many people have found it "too short"....maybe they were playing the pre-release demo and not the full game ;-]

Gameplay is great. Although you only get to play as the 'Chief in this one, it's plenty to keep the fun factor high, and in many missions you have the Arbiter alongside you as your partner. Towards the end of the game I found myself regularly checking to make sure he was allright, having got quite attached to the character, and thankfully, he was not tragically killed off as I thought might be the case.

You also still get all the same opportunities for using different weapons and types of combat....everything from long-range sniping to close-quarters shotgun action, to air assault, to ground assault in a tank. Plus, you can rip mounted weapons off their tripods and walk around with them, as well as having the use of chuckable utilities like energy shields, flares, mines and more.

You'll encounter all the same environments....beach, jungle, snow, Halo, scorched earth, covenant ship and also, new to Halo 3, a Flood hive and a desert!

This time though, it's all built for next-generation-only hardware, so it looks simply stunning. The environments, the lighting, the textures, water effects, fire, explosives, animation....they're all top quality and without the slightest sign of error or poor programming.

Sound in Halo 3 is also really well done, and has had the attention it deserves. Just like Halo 2, environmental sounds and character dialogue are rich and varied, and a solid score/soundtrack keeps the epic story moving along with epic energy, without being excessive.

I haven't started investigating Halo 3's multiplayer yet, but to be honest it doesn't matter to me...the game is absolutely worth every penny, deserves all the credit it gets, and is most definitely one I'll be playing again. I do recommend playing it on Heroic or Legendary difficulty though...it's a compelling challenge.

As for the story ending....I didn't find it disappointing, I thought it was appropriate. And it's confirmation from Bungie that they are ready to start something new!

Unless you're too young to understand the whole Halo 'thing' and get the feeling of what it's about, I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy Halo 3.

The Cell [DVD] [2000]
The Cell [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Jennifer Lopez
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, one of my favourites, 16 Aug 2007
This review is from: The Cell [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
Contrary to magazine, newspaper and TV reviews, and the quotes printed all over the DVD packaging, this is not all about Jenniffer Lopez dressing sexy and pouting.

Visionary director Tarsem Singh, who cut his teeth in TV commercials, has put together an absolute masterpiece, in my opinion. It's one of those few multi-genre movies that really hits the mark in all areas; Sci-fi, fantasy, and horriffic thriller are all woven beautifully together, to create a story that is gripping, captivating, and convincing.

J-Lo plays the role of Catherine, a psycho-therapist who's job is to literally enter the mind, and fantasy world, of children with serious mental illness, to try and help improve their quality of life.

When the FBI, on the hunt for an illusive serial killer, find their suspect in a coma, Catherine is asked to enter the dark, twisted fantasy world in his mind to try to determine where his next victim is being held in captivity.

Singh's unique visionary approach to setting, costume and general atmosphere make the story moving and frightening, but equally enticing - obscure and unnerving as some scenes are, they are also sometimes quite stunning, and it really makes it worth putting up with the chill-factor because you just want to see what happens next.

This is the only film I have seen that has honestly come close to feeling like a real-life dream/nightmare feels. It's got all the elements of twisted reality that you get from a strange dream, with out being too far-out and ridiculous.

"The Cell" is not a hugely gory or violent film, like "Saw" or "Hostel"....it's intelligent, and uses psychological trickery to keep you right on the edge of your seat. It would appeal both to people who like a good, suspenseful thriller, as well as anyone interested in dark, artistic fantasy as seen in films such as "Pan's Labrynth".

Careful use of CGI is combined with quality direction, a solid storyline and script, and is brilliantly executed by it's leading cast. Don't dismiss it just because it's J-Lo - you'd be really missing out...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3