Profile for Dr Gonzo > Reviews

Content by Dr Gonzo

Dr Gonzo (Dorset, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
ETON 1 KILO POULTRY FEEDER & 1.5 LTR POULTRY DRINKER WITH FREE GREEN RED POULTRY MITE TRAP MONITOR
Offered by Anglia Farm Supplies

1.0 out of 5 stars Too flimsy., 11 Oct 2014
The little plastic "arms" linking the the main body of the feeder to the white outer ring are so flimsy that three of them broke on the first attempt at locking it all back together again. Not to mention the difficulty in actually locking it together in the first place - again, because all the plastic is so flimsy it's very difficult to line all the tabs up at the same time before twisting it in to place. So cheap it wasn't worth the time and effort of returning so went straight in the bin. Get a bigger, heavier duty one.

Mudder 6 in 1 Sport Watch with Heart Pulse Rate Monitor Calorie Counter
Mudder 6 in 1 Sport Watch with Heart Pulse Rate Monitor Calorie Counter
Offered by Mudder Online UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Monitor not quite what I was expecting, 9 Oct 2014
Can't grumble with the price can you? Great value but it didn't do quite what I was expecting, which was to give a constant readout of my heart rate and therefore an accurate calorie burn count at the end of the workout. The watch relies on a sensor which you press a finger against to register your heart rate at any given time. This works very well. But you won't get an accurate picture of your workout, only an average if your bpm varies during your workout which mine does greatly. It doesn't really make this bit clear in the description only saying that you don't need a separate chest strap (which you don't). But a chest strap monitor measures constantly, this doesn't. Aside from this it does everything it says it does. I went for the Beurer PM25 Award Winning Heart Rate Monitor Watch in the end, which does everything I want it to albeit having to wear a chest strap which I was trying to avoid but actually isn't as obtrusive as it sounds.

CHOETECH Stadium Qi Wireless Charger Charging Pad 3-Coils Wide Charging Area for Nexus 6,SONY Xperia Z3V,Moto Droid Turbo,Motorola Moto 360 Smart Watch,Nexus 5/4/7(2013) ,Nokia Lumia 1020/ 920/928, MOTO Droid Maxx/Droid Mini,HTC Droid DNA, HTC Rzound,,Pentax WG-III camera,Samsung,Google, LG, HTC and Other Qi Enabled Phones and Tablets (AC adapter not included)
Offered by CHOETECH

5.0 out of 5 stars Works beautifully., 6 Oct 2014
Works great - dump your phone or tablet on it, make sure you see the blue light turn on and you're a good to go. The phone / tablet does get quite warm during the charging process but this is a consequence of wireless charging and not a fault with the unit.

Skinomi TechSkin - Google Chromebook Pixel Screen Protector Ultra Clear Shield + Lifetime Warranty
Offered by Skinomi, LLC

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time., 1 April 2014
With such a massive surface area to deal with, dust is your enemy. I applied it in a steam-filled bathroom to help stop dust, cleaned the screen and applied the protector as instructed. Air-bubbles are a foregone conclusion although I did my best to minimise them. The instructions say smearing and air bubbles disappear after around 5 days. Well I'm here to say they don't. I can still see the smears the application fluid leaves behind the protector, albeit not as bad as they were, and I still have half a dozen air bubbles which, try as I might, I can't shift. Not to mention now that it's all settled down I've got several dust particles under the protector which I'm worried will damage the screen when I clean the protector. So it's come off and chucked in the bin. Save your money, leave well alone.

TOPDIGI TD15M25MM 1.5meter long 3.5mm Jack Cable - Premium Quality /Golden / Audio / Stereo / Male to Male

1.0 out of 5 stars Dodgy connection, on replacement too, 28 Oct 2013
First one which arrived had a dodgy connection on one end. Was replaced and second one had the same issue. Tried on different devices to make sure it wasn't the initial device with the problem. Obviously cheap for a reason. Gone in the bin now.

Expert Shield - THE Screen Protectors for: FujiFilm Cameras *Lifetime Guarantee* (FujiFilm FinePix X100S Anti Glare Expert Shield)
Offered by Expert Shield

3.0 out of 5 stars Anti-glare not really appropriate, 2 Oct 2013
Firstly, trying to keep dust off this as you're applying it seemed to be a lesson in futility for me. If some dust gets trapped underneath it looks horrible. I've tried removing the protector, dabbing a bit of sellotape to remove the dust, then reapplying - each time more dust appearing. So be very careful when trying to apply. This isn't the fault of the shield of course.

The reason for three stars is the anti-glare properties - it diffuses the image quite dramatically. Not what you need with a camera like the X100S. Even if I'd succeeded in applying it without some trapped dust I would have junked it because of this. You'd be better off getting the conventional screen protector - Expert Shield - THE Screen Protector for: FujiFilm FinePix X100S *Lifetime Guarantee*.

In the meantime I'm off to find a friend with a hermetically sealed room...
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2013 2:17 PM BST

Apple 802.11AC Airport Extreme (Launched June 2013)
Apple 802.11AC Airport Extreme (Launched June 2013)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works flawlessly, 3 July 2013
I bought this to replace an ASUS RT-N56U - 300Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router. 802.11n, Hardware NAT, 5 Internal Antennas, Fast Gigabit Ethernet, Wireless HD content streaming, 3 Year Warranty which kept dropping wi-fi connections and gave erratic speeds. The second one of these I had in fact.

This brand-new Airport Extreme had just come out and I couldn't find too many reviews on it but what I could find seemed very favourable. It is also 802.11ac compliant which is no use to me at the moment but gives me some future-proofing when I upgrade my laptop in months to come. It's worth noting that it's a, b, g & n compliant too which means it will allow legacy hardware to connect with no problems.

The specs all seemed good:

It has a USB connection for an external hard-drive or printer. I'm using it for NAS and Time Machine backups. I'm a little puzzled why Apple stuck with USB 2.0 here instead of USB 3.0 - I assume they think their customers will generally only use this port for attaching a printer. A shame really, as having a USB 3.0 hard-drive attached would give a nice speed boost. Far from a deal-breaker though.

It has a dual-band transmitter which is crucial in crowded wi-fi suburbia. None of my neighbours operate on 5GHz which means I get a nice, clean signal.

It has 3 x Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports and 1 x Gigabit Ethernet WAN port. Mine is connected to a Gigabit switch via a LAN port as I'm operating it in bridging mode, letting the modem deal with DHCP and DNS.

Setup is typically Apple and very easy via Apple's Airport Utility. I can't comment on setting up via Windows although a cursory look on the Apple website would suggest it can only be set up via OS X or iOS. It was up and running within a few minutes.

Aesthetically it's also typically Apple. It's a small, white cuboid (168mm x 98mm x 98mm - rounded corners) with a single, small green LED at the front to let you know it's alive and working well. All the ports are hidden on the back.

Performance is superb and I can't fault it. All my devices connected extremely quickly. I've been using it for just over a week now and I've not had one connection drop. I've also gone to the broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk website to see how stable the connection is. The Asus would have the "needles" on the website bounce all over the place. The Airport Extreme is rock steady. It does seem noticeably quicker than the Asus, although I can't quantify that - but websites definitely seem to load quicker as does streaming movies from my hard-drive. Signal strength seems a lot stronger than the Asus too - I get full strength in the garden which would only be a pipe dream with the Asus.

Price is a little high as there are other routers coming out now with similar specs but a fair amount cheaper. I chose Apple because I trust their quality & reliability so don't mind paying the premium. In my eyes it's better to pay too much and lose a few extra pound notes than to pay too little and have endless headaches. I've not been disappointed by this product.

There is also a Time Capsule version for an extra £55 or so (Apple 802.11AC 2TB Airport Time Capsule (Launched June 2013)). I chose not to have that version as I have a perfectly useable external hard-drive already. I guess the benefit of the all-in-one unit is its space-saving qualities.

Great product - thoroughly recommended. :-)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 11, 2013 2:49 PM BST

Pyramid Motorcycle Fender Extender Honda crosstourer 12>
Pyramid Motorcycle Fender Extender Honda crosstourer 12>
Offered by Speedstyle UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential purchase., 19 Feb 2013
Not entirely sure why Honda made the front mudguard so short on the Crosstourer. I'm sure they have their reasons. The downside is all the road-crud flicked up onto the engine and expensive radiator. This make a big difference. Virtually nothing on the radiator now which was my main concern. It does require some art with a drill (4 self-tapping screws are used) which I got my local Honda dealer to do for me as I'm rubbish at that type of thing. Very pleased with the result. It's dark-grey by the way - don't be fooled by the blue diagram! Blends in very nicely.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for motorcycling, 19 Nov 2012
I've used Sealskinz socks for the last 5 years and they are superb. I had to replace my last set as I lost them (how, I don't know). I decided to go for the knee-high version this time to help keep my lower-leg warm. I ride motorcycles pretty much every day for around 5 hours a day in all weather. These things are brilliant, not only for their 100% waterproofing (unlike motorcycle boots which inevitably fail after several hours of soaking and then take forever to dry out), but for their thermal properties too. I was out in 6º C all day yesterday and it wasn't until the final hour of riding all day that a slight chill set in. Come February I'll update the review to see how they cope with temperatures at around freezing.

*UPDATE* Ok, so I've been using these most days, all day for 3 months now, in temperatures down to -2˚C. Got to say, not bad at all. On the really cold days, after around 2 hours of riding a chill will set in but it doesn't get any worse than that. I've never had to stop and jump up and down at the side of the road for a few minutes to get the blood pumping. Good stuff. :-)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2014 1:04 AM GMT

BabyDan Multi Lock
BabyDan Multi Lock
Offered by SAFETOTS

5.0 out of 5 stars Install in minutes, 14 Nov 2012
This review is from: BabyDan Multi Lock (Baby Product)
This is a great product. I'm using them to secure some cupboard doors from a 2-year-old who keeps flinging them open. They quite literally take a couple of minutes to attach.

Firstly, you secure one end of the "strap" into the anchoring pad. This was a little tricky with one of them and I needed to poke the locating tab in a little with a pen to get it to slot into place. The other end is locked into the other pad very easily. Next you remove the plastic covering the adhesive and then simply place each pad so the strap spans the doors. Push on firmly and it's done.

The instructions suggest leaving the adhesive to set for 24 hours. These were left 20 minutes before the little one was on the case. She walked away disappointed. Weh-hey!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4