Profile for Neil Stanworth > Reviews

Content by Neil Stanworth

Neil Stanworth

Cable Matters Gold Plated Mini DisplayPort | Thunderbolt to HDMI Cable in White 3 Metres
Offered by Cable Matters

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 16 May 2013
Perfect answer to my need to connect a Macbook pro to a Smart TV. Good quality and fantastic VFM compared to the Apple alternative. The only think to watch is that all the instructions and advice on how to use it are in the Amazon listing of the product - not in any instructions received with the product. So make sure you bookmark the page when you buy

Dragon NaturallySpeaking Home 12.0 (PC)
Dragon NaturallySpeaking Home 12.0 (PC)
Offered by softpursuit

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product, 26 Mar 2013
It is no exaggeration to say that this product has changed my life. I am an absolutely rubbish typist and it takes longer to spellcheck what I type than it does to type it. I have tried voice recognition a number of times over the years but always found the level of recognition too low to make it worthwhile. I was inspired to try this product after trying the built in voice recognition on my iPad, and finding it pretty good.
But this product is much better. I am getting levels of recognition of around 99% and most of the mistakes it makes are with proper names etc. It is fairly quick to learn these if you use the built in “correct that “ facility.
Since I have to generate a lot of reports and proposals in my line of work, having a product which enables me to generate accurate text at speed has massively improved my productivity. I have only had it a few weeks and no longer know how I would work without it.
My only criticism is that it does not dictate directly into PowerPoint. You have to dictate into a separate “Dictation Box” which opens when you start speaking and then transfer the text. However I have found it easier to dictate into Word and then cut and paste into PowerPoint.
The only other issue was that when I first loaded the software I got a message which said that it might run slowly on my machine (which only has 2GB of RAM). However I have found it fine provided I don’t have too many applications running at the same time.
Possibly the best 60 quid I have ever spent on a piece of software.
And yes I did dictate this review using the product, and only had to correct two mis-spellings.