Profile for C. Mathieu > Reviews

Content by C. Mathieu

C. Mathieu "waldenpond88" (Worcester, MA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The War Brides of World War II
The War Brides of World War II
by Elfrieda Shukert

4.0 out of 5 stars The only non-fiction book on WW II War Brides, 21 Jan. 2015
This is obviously the only non-fiction book on WW II War Brides among many mediocre novels that I've read over the past few years. I wish it had twice as many pages and would contain more stories from the German WW II Brides. But as this is the only book on this topic and I cannot compare it with others, I rate it 4 stars.
Personally I was hoping to find more stories from German WW II War Brides, that was the only draw back for me.
There are lots of photos and the writing style keeps you interested throughout the book.
Too bad the two authors never published a second book on the WW II War Brides. I'm sure they had enough stories from their research for 2 books.

Frenchman's Creek ~ Classic Literature on Film, Daphne Du Maurier (NTSC) (ALL REGIONS)
Dvd ~ Jeremy Child
Offered by PurpleBix DVDs

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cornish Filming Locations, 29 Mar. 2014
Don't get me wrong, I watched the 1944 version with Joan Fontaine and Arturo de Cordova, but it really bothered me that this has not been filmed in Cornwall at the real existing places (I've found Lady Dona's house which you are allowed to cross on the way to Frenchman's Creek at the Helford River).
Watching the Mitchell Leisen original you can clearly recognize the coast somewhere near Los Angeles, CA.
However, in 1944 WW II was still raging in Europe and there was no way to film at the original locations. And of course no way to predict when WW II would be over and Mitchell Leisen could have flown in his crew to Cornwall.

Thanks to a friend I discovered only a few years ago that there exists a remake with Alain Delon's son which actually has been filmed in Cornwall (the imdb lists Charlestown, Helston, Padstow and St. Clement's Isle near Mousehole in Cornwall), I ordered it at amazon.co.uk and was thrilled with the result. I've watched it 3 times since then and can't wait to watch it again...

I really don't want to talk anybody into buying this newer version, but if you've never seen it before and know the 1944 version, you might be pleasantly surprised with the remake, even though it's a TV movie. But after all, it's a Masterpiece Theatre production by PBS. That speaks for itself.

Nicole Nobody
Nicole Nobody
by Duchess of Bedford

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming Autobiography, 5 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Nicole Nobody (Hardcover)
The two previous reviewers obviously read a different book than I did.
Almost 40 years ago I read this memoir for the first time and was enchanted by the Duchess' exciting life long before she married her Duke and took care together with her husband of the famous Wildlife Park on the grounds of the castle.
A few years ago I read her autobiography again and for me it stood the test of time.

BTW the Children's Film Foundation (CFF) made a suspenseful movie for kids in 1957 called "Five Clues to Fortune" aka "The Treasure at Woburn Abbey" which has been filmed in and around the castle. This was and still is one of the best CFF movies. I watched it in the mid 60's on German TV and a few days ago once more, because the DVD is now available at amazon.de with the original English track and the German dubbing:

The shipping to the US is only 3 £, but you need a multi-regional DVD player, for instance one by Pioneer.

The Illustrated Olive Farm
The Illustrated Olive Farm
by Carol Drinkwater

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous Companion to the 6 Books, 5 Sept. 2013
When I read the first 2 Olive Farm books, I was delighted with Drinkwater's writing style and of course with the topic, but somewhat disappointed that the books have no photos.
A friend told me 2 years ago about this coffee table book and I ordered it.
This companion to the 6 Olive Farm books is highly recommendable.

Children's Film Foundation Collection: Weird Adventures (The Boy Who Turned Yellow | The Monster of Highgate Pond | A Hitch in Time) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger
Offered by A2Z Entertains

3.0 out of 5 stars Where are "Four Winds Island", "Mystery in the Mine", "Ambush at Devil's Gap" and..., 19 May 2013
...and "Five Clues to Fortune" aka "The Treasure at Woburn Abbey? Or "The Young Jacobites" with Francesca Annis from 1960???

Each time when BFI releases another triple DVD with 3 CFF movies, I am disappointed, because they keep ignoring the really good and suspenseful CFF movies for kids from the 50's and early 60's and two of their movies are usually from the 70's when CFF was not producing good stuff any longer.

Well, hopefully next time...
Comment Comments (33) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2014 9:12 PM GMT

Ruth Rendell Mysteries - Complete Collection - 14-DVD Box Set
Ruth Rendell Mysteries - Complete Collection - 14-DVD Box Set
Dvd ~ George Baker
Offered by Arco Celeste Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Deceiving DVD Title, 7 April 2013
This is far from being complete, it starts in 1994 with "Master of the Moor".
However, if you check [...], you can see that the first season started in 1987.
Hopefully a REALLY complete collection will be released soon!

The Way You Look Tonight
The Way You Look Tonight
by Carlene Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Thriller, 24 Mar. 2013
I read all 15 thrillers by Carlene Thompson via library a few years ago and finally ordered them in hardcover.
Don't want to give away the plot, but this book is as thrilling as her other novels.
Very recommendable, especially for Mary Higgins Clark and Marjorie Dorner fans.

British Children's Fiction in the Second World War (Societies at War)
British Children's Fiction in the Second World War (Societies at War)
by Owen Dudley Edwards

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably the only account on British WW II children's books, 24 Mar. 2013
Recently I bought a book on German children's books published between 1945 and 1960. So I was searching for a similar book on British children's books from the 40's until the 60's, but couldn't find one.
I grew up in Germany in the 60's reading lots of Enid Blyton and Norman Dale books.
So I was thrilled that I could at least find this one about WW II books for British children (after all, Enid Blyton's best books have been published from 1942 on).
If it would have more photos or illustrations like the German book, I would have rated it 5 stars.

Other Woman (Coronet Books)
Other Woman (Coronet Books)
by Rona Jaffe

1.0 out of 5 stars Rona Jaffe before she wrote great Novels, 15 Jan. 2013
I'm a big fan of Rona Jaffe, I loved "Class Reunion", "After the Reunion" and "The Last Chance" and read them all more than 2 or 3 times. However, I did not enjoy reading "The Best of Everything" at all. I found it very boring. Actually the movie version with Joan Crawford and Hope Lange was much better than the novel.

And because only 4 or 5 of her novels have been translated into German, I ordered all other Jaffe novels in English via amazon.com and now read them in the order they have been published.

I finally have started reading "The Other Woman" and cannot really understand the good reviews here on amazon.com.
This book is more like an essay than a novel.
The characters have no depth, no development. It's just a listing of places where Carol, the protagonist, went and whom she met.
Carol is a reporter and enjoys writing about car races or Italian movie stars.

The problem with this book is that (at least for me) it never gives you the feeling that you actually are in Monza at the race or in Venice at the film festival.
To me it seems that Jaffe never left Manhattan and did a bit of research at the public library on Italy and then used some of that research in "The Other Woman".

I'm on page 80 now and I always give a book a chance of 100 pages, but unless a miracle will happen on the next 20 pages, I doubt very much that I will finish this "novel". Not a keeper.

The Castle of Adventure [VHS][1990]
The Castle of Adventure [VHS][1990]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-done Blyton Adaptation, 13 Dec. 2012
I recently purchased this movie from amazon and was delighted. Susan George plays the mother of Dinah and Philip. The other actors are great, the location (Saltwood Castle in Kent) is beautiful and the plot is reasonably similar to the Blyton book. But as this was filmed in 1990, they had to do a few changes.
The little fox, Buttons, is unforgettable! I also enjoyed Kiki.

It's too bad that the entire Adventure series, Five Findouters & Dog as well as Barney & Miranda series have not been filmed way back in the 50's when CFF produced dozens of suspenseful childrens movies.
The only other Blyton movies are "Five on a Treasure Island" and "Five have a Mystery to solve" (both available on amazon.com.uk). And then the two Famous Five TV series of which I prefer the one from the nineties by far.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6