Profile for Dunne > Reviews

Dunne

Christopher Nolan Director's Collection [Blu-ray] [2000]
Christopher Nolan Director's Collection [Blu-ray] [2000]

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 8 Aug 2013
The greatest director of all time in my honest opinion all in one box, whats not to like. This guy delivers everytime worth the money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 19, 2014 9:20 PM BST

The Dark Knight Trilogy - Ultimate Collector's Edition [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
The Dark Knight Trilogy - Ultimate Collector's Edition [Blu-ray] [Region Free]

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourtie trilogy, 15 July 2013
People will have different opinions but this is my favourite trilogy of all time, in many ways that is hard to say because I adore the Lord of the Rings and I love the Toy Story trilogy among others. However I have grown up with these three films and to me they are just masterpieces pure and simple.
This collection offers the definitive Batman trilogy in all it's glory and is a must have for any fan of the films. It offers a deep insight into production and the new additions sound extremely interesting.
In terms of the films I really struggle ranking them in any order, The majority of people put Begins as the weakest and The Dark Knight as the strongest however although I agree Begins falters on a technical view I think it is the best Batman film. But that doesn't means it's the best film, in fact I would argue it's the weakest. In terms of quality both sequels exceed it and I find it hard to choose between the Dark Knight and the Dark Knight Rises. Although Rises has it's flaws quite frankly I believe it's overlooked. The film is so ambitious and like its prequel it elevates the comic book genre to never before heights and I respect it for that.

Batman Begins - The starter
The Dark Knight - The main course
The Dark Knight Rises - The dessert

A meal we deserve but not the one we need right now.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2013 4:06 PM BST

Iron Man 3 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Iron Man 3 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Robert Downey Jr.

3.0 out of 5 stars Appropriate but dissapointing, 9 Jun 2013
Others will see it differently but following the Avengers I expected a sensational sequel to the ok Iron Man 2 and all I got was an extremely cheap and underdeveloped twist which didn't do the film justice.
I won't lie I enjoyed it, it's very funny, RDJ marvellous but it lacks what made the first one so great and to me without RDJ it would of recieved **.

Memento [Blu-ray] [2000]
Memento [Blu-ray] [2000]
Dvd ~ Guy Pearce

5.0 out of 5 stars Chris Nolan comes crashing into the film industry., 29 May 2013
This review is from: Memento [Blu-ray] [2000] (Blu-ray)
It certainly is a soft landing.

Memento is Christopher Nolans masterpiece, pure genius.
It tells the story of a man with Antegrode Amnesia who is trying to find out who murdered his wife. The film itself follows a very non-linear structure and in fact it's told backwards which offers an extremely interesting dynamic between the characters. I will warn you it requires attention because at no point does Mr Nolan explain himself to you, he's expecting you to follow along and work it out for yourself which in all honesty has never been done before.

I was suprised at how good the quality of both video and audio was in this Blu-Ray as it was released a while ago. None the less this is a must have for your collection and I promise you won't be disappointed.

Brave [DVD]
Brave [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kelly Macdonald

1.0 out of 5 stars If anything it's a good family film, 7 Dec 2012
This review is from: Brave [DVD] (DVD)
I'm not condemning the film to be honest it's not that bad, to others it may be seen as another brilliant pixar film but to me it was a boring huge disappointment and not to mention the DVD bonuses, again Disney fail to deliver a selection of bonus material.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2013 12:02 PM GMT

The Dark Knight Rises (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [2012] [Region Free]
The Dark Knight Rises (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [2012] [Region Free]

5.0 out of 5 stars The only word we can describe it with is EPIC, 24 Aug 2012
The Dark Knight Rises is just brilliant enough said. Christopher Nolan has officially created and mastered one of cinemas most blessed Trilogy's and this film deserves everything it gets and more. The story is strong giving us a view of Bruce Wayne which we have never experienced before in a film, he's weak and helpless in desperate need of some miracle. Then along comes a terrorist and cat burgler and all hell breaks loose.
The first fight between Bane and Batman is simply the greatest hand to hand combat I have ever seen in a film so beautifully captured and it's not just the fighting it's the dialogue in between that really makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.
One thing I don't think we notice when watching the film is just the pure scale, it's absolutely massive and there isn't a film that can fit quite so much in without making a mess of it. (transformers anyone?) Christopher Nolan really creates something which lives up to expectations and despite the few flaws it really is an epic.
The cast is obviously sensational, the cinematography is unbelievable, the score is breathtaking and the ending is just perfect.
To me, the last five minutes of this film are the greatest 5 minutes in cinema history and the very final moment when the batcave rises again and the screen fades to black is just spectacular.

Marvel's Avengers Assemble [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Marvel's Avengers Assemble [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Robert Downey Jr.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's just a bit of fun, 24 Aug 2012
The film is quite enjoyable and the way the director manages to mix these characters together and stay true to the comics is applaudable. Personally I have grown out of just a fun film and now it has to have a strong story and deep themes and the Avengers will not give you that, this is purely my opinion and I think the film is brilliant from a fun point of view but don't expect some masterpiece of storytelling!
Although my review may seem slightly controversial please note I'm a weirdo, this is what I need in a film and I do believe these 5/5 star reviews are a bit exaggerated and if interested in the film take a look at the metacritic score which to me gives a more professional and sane view.
It has a brilliant cast! A unforgettable finale and a bowl full of laughs but to me that's all it is. Others will see it different but its no masterpiece just a bit of fun.

Dead Rising 2 (PS3)
Dead Rising 2 (PS3)
Offered by 101Trading

2.0 out of 5 stars It's nothing special, 3 Jan 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Rising 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
In my opinion buying this game made me believe I would be addicted and just end up free-roaming however it's far from that. After a day it become's incredibly boring, after all the only thing you do is kill hundreds of weak zombies, although the game was cheap and it does have some fun parts to it it's not worth it.

Vigilante (Jessica Daniel Book 2)
Vigilante (Jessica Daniel Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Vigilante is Brilliant, 3 Jan 2012
Following on from Locked in Kerry Wilkinson has actually created a very very good story with vigilante, its so original and I think that's what makes it fun to read. I will be honest with you it took a little while to really get into it and in my opinion the ending was a little bit of a incredulous outcome because it didn't live up to the build up of this fantastic story. However I shouldn't worry because vigilante is definitely worth the read in in many ways lives up to and even outdoes Locked in. I will be buying the next book!