Profile for Master B. J. Bateson > Reviews

Content by Master B. J. B...

Master B. J. Bateson "el cid" (Isle of Man)

Colours
Colours
Offered by westworld-
Price: 14.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless - for want of a better word!, 9 May 2008
This review is from: Colours (Audio CD)
Words can't describe just how good this album is. Too many times you hear people talking about Drum & Bass, and the only artist they have to hand is "Pendulum".
This is Drum & Bass as it should be - a mix of chilled jazz grooves with bouncing basslines that almost change to suit the mood. Stand out tracks are impossible to pull, the album does not have a chink in the armour.
Please buy this album, the price on offer is little more than theft!

For a similarly great album, try LTJ Bukem; Journey Inwards.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 20, 2010 9:13 PM BST

Not Here to Please You Mixtape [USB MEMORY STICK]
Not Here to Please You Mixtape [USB MEMORY STICK]

1.0 out of 5 stars Hadouken! Can F*** Right Off, 27 Nov 2007
First of all I'd like to point out that I like Hadouken! as much as the next man - they do a great live act and they genuinely are something fresh and original. I do not usually give bands I admire a poor rating if the album is a good one.
However, they really have taken things one step too far with this one. The last mixtape was only released over the internet, which I could deal with, after all, so was Radiohead's "In Rainbows" and that was a serious contender for album of the year.
This one though really takes the biscuit. Having said they wanted to do "something different", they decided to release this one only on USB drives. Mistake. It's as though they are crying out to be accepted as one of the fore-runners of the NME fantasy that is "Nu-Rave" - desperate to be at the front of technology to make a statement. This USB drive really is a shocker. When I put it into my computer it simply rejected it over and over again - my computer recognized it as a hard drive then spat it back out again like it was a piece of gristle. Which leads me onto my next point. After managing to put it onto a mate's computer and sending it to my own via MSN (2 hours after first attempting to put it onto mine)I find out that the whole album is just one big mix. Now this doesn't annoy me normally, as I regularly buy mixtapes (Daft Punk's Alive 1997 for example) - but this one clearly stated that it had separate tracks in the first place. What's wrong with having the whole album mixed but still having separate tracks? Just about every single drum & bass artist manages it - why can't this lot do it? So you fancy listening to "Tuning In"? Well tough sh*t sonny because you'll have to fast-forward about 25 minutes into the mix to find the bastard.
Do yourselves a favour and DO NOT buy this album - Hadouken! are pretty good but they really aren't worth the hernia-inducing stress levels that this thing caused me.

Kudos to anyone who managed to read this rant - I apologize profusely to those who did.

P.S. There is a program that allows you to split the tracks yourself - search "Hadouken USB doesnt work" into Google and click on one of the lower down search results. Some guy has posted a link on a forum. You download a piece of software that splits the mix for you, it's really easy to use.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 1, 2009 12:57 PM GMT

Monk - Season 2 - Complete [DVD]
Monk - Season 2 - Complete [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tony Shalhoub
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 9 Jan 2006
Never heard of Monk till I spoke to my long lost uncle - he treccomended it and i promptly bought seies 1 and 2 - best buy i ever made. Not only is it very watchable, his OCD is totally believable, you feel his pain!
buy it it rocks

Postcards From Summerisle
Postcards From Summerisle
Price: 25.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Nuts, 14 Jun 2005
You will never hear anything like this! bought it last month, barely taken it out of my CD player except to put it in the car! You will enjoi every track, almost childlike songs, but very groovy. If you liked groove armada you will love this, despite the fact they are completely unalike!

I.S.D.N
I.S.D.N
Offered by playanywhere
Price: 12.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, 21 Nov 2004
This review is from: I.S.D.N (Audio CD)
FSOL were a pretty new thing to me when i bought this - i bought the album because it was cheap and i knew it was like a lot of the other stuff i listen to (leftfield, faithless etc). A particularly good album for chilling out to - makes good background music for a party or just for lying in bed if you feel ill or want to get to sleep. Well worth a buy, it only costs a few quid. Especially like the far-out son of lung and the ramblings of a madman.