Profile for Wyndham > Reviews

Collins Bird Guide
Collins Bird Guide
by Lars Svensson
Price: 13.59

3.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, however, there are other kids on the block?, 22 Jan 2012
This review is from: Collins Bird Guide (Paperback)
The quality of this publication cannot be doubted, but, as nothing can be, it's not all things to all men. I would strongly recommend an older Collins Field Guide, 5th edition 1993, by Roger Tory Peterson. It is still in print, albeit marketed as a Peterson Field Guide, the text and plates are identical.
I have owned both books for a decade or more, but for field trips, it has to be 'the Peterson'. The bird images are larger, many are depicted above and below, arrows - pointers - draw ones attention to vital plumage, and physical differences of like species. Top tips from an expert?
I would urge you to flout convention and fashion, and consider 'the Peterson', an older book sure, but it might just surprise you.
P.S. I have, since my initial review (above) found the 'Philips Bird Guide', and was MOST impressed, a wonderful guide - look it up, I urge you, a 5* guide in both plates & text. I've spotted an obviously annotated edition lying on the 'Springwatch' table. At 7 approx., it's a no brainer - really!!

Collins Field Guide - Birds of Britain and Europe
Collins Field Guide - Birds of Britain and Europe
by Roger Tory Peterson

5.0 out of 5 stars It's still the best - despite strong competition,, 19 Jan 2012
Whilst the 'Black Cover' Collins Bird Guide, now twelve years old, is rightly hailed as an excellent, beautiful book, I truly believe this book, a nineteen year old edition, still edges it. Quite simply, IT provides THE necessary information, for identification - for learning? Recognition plates from various angles, each bird is portrayed in a large, easy to see format, pointers (arrows) highlighting plumage and physical differences. Comparing similiar species I have yet to see bettered in ANY guide.
In short, I think it something of an educational masterpiece - it's just out of fashion. Quality it remains.
It remains in print, as a paperback.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2012 5:28 PM GMT

Electrolux Stair and Carvac  Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner
Electrolux Stair and Carvac Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner
Price: 48.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Once in awhile a standout appliance., 13 Jan 2012
A well designed, well built mini vacuum cleaner, with a stunning performance. Simply put - it's the BIZ! Sadly, as I write my review, the price has increased, oddly it's cheaper from the manufacturer, by a few 's!

RSPB British Birds of Prey
RSPB British Birds of Prey
by Marianne Taylor
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars One helluva book!, 13 Jan 2012
I fully concur with other reviewers - the book is pictorially stunning, the text providing a wealth of information. The book itself, its construction, is of the highest order. Buy it - you will not be disappointed.

Cuisinart CSC400U Slow Cooker Stainless Steel 3.8L
Cuisinart CSC400U Slow Cooker Stainless Steel 3.8L

2.0 out of 5 stars Despite top from Which, not so impressive - no!, 15 Oct 2010
Top marks for looks - it certainly looks the biz! That's what you bought it for, right? Great choice! However, if you are more interested in it's cooking function . . . oh dear . . . things go downhill.
I found it operated with an audible 'hum', heard from 10 feet. Not too loud, but, do you want to hear it - is it necessary?
Heat control. Matters related to that, have appeared in reviews of both the 4ltr & 6.5ltr models. I feel the criticism is valid. The casing does get surprisingly hot, that's heat, energy, electricity wasted - well, isn't it?
I am informed Slow Cookers, cook at a higher temperature, than of old, well this model certainly does, a most energetic simmer. Concerned that there appeared to be no visible difference, in its cooking, in either 'Low' or 'High', I connected the appliance to an electrical meter, to measure the wattage. (power, electricity useage) My findings were not good, no difference whatsoever, between the two modes. Indeed, the wattage drawn was 12% more than its plated rating of 215 watts.
I consider my particular appliance faulty, Amazon are replacing - hastily. (top marks!)
I have contacted Cuisinart, they inform me this is a first, and will contact their supplier.
Hey, you make your own mind up, this is merely my experience - perhaps unlucky?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4