Profile for Wyndham > Reviews

The Pocket Guide to the Coastal Birds
The Pocket Guide to the Coastal Birds
by Hayman Peter

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent REALLY pocket sized guide., 23 Nov. 2013
As my title suggests this guide will slip into the smallest of pockets, and it's crammed full of info. This guide has 2 siblings, Birdwatchers Pocket Guide to Britain & Europe, and, Pocket Guide to Birds of Prey. The former is readily available in hardback. For some strange reason these plastic cover protected, lighter publications, are like gold dust. Why . . . why . . . why???

The Crossley ID Guide: Britain and Ireland (The Crossley ID Guides)
The Crossley ID Guide: Britain and Ireland (The Crossley ID Guides)
by Dominic Couzens
Edition: Flexibound

4.0 out of 5 stars Tackling Bird ID differently - flouting convention., 22 Nov. 2013
A somewhat revolutionary concept into bird ID. A radical change from the common format of bird guides, be it photographic or artwork. The author states the book should be seen as a 'workbook', the more you look - the more you see, the reader is greater employed with every plate. As another reviewer has stated, a beginner still requires a formal, conventional guide to accompany this publication. The same reviewer states also, it's the best attempt yet, at conveying the all-important 'jizz' of the bird, in that I fully concur. This book I gladly include in my guide book 'arsenal'.
A caveat.
This book relates to birds of Britain & Ireland (only), so why the American spelling of practice with an 'S' - 'practise'? Also, in the text on owls, I note faeces spelt 'feces' - yet more New World spelling. We then go to the plate on the Great Black Backed Gull, its killing of live prey e.g 'AMCO', which is ornithilogical shorthand for bird species, in this case the American Coot. Now dear authors & publishers, where is that relevant to British (Irish) birders? That's a nod to Uncle Sam too far!!*
Try as I may, the right-hand column of page 18 (in the introduction) where the subject of size is to be discussed, its whereabouts makes no sense. I quote, "inside the front cover . . ." Er??? Indeed, that first paragraph reminds me of a cuckoo chick?
Don't let my minor criticisms put you off, an otherwise fine book.

Stetson Burney Leather Newsboy Cap
Stetson Burney Leather Newsboy Cap
Price: £67.11 - £79.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A MIGHTY WOW! A fab 'titfa'., 21 Nov. 2013
Fully concur with the other reviewers . . . . it's the canine's gonads!!! Very stylish, have no hesitation in recommending, love it.

Birds: ID Insights: Identifying the More Difficult Birds of Britain & North-West Europe
by Dominic Couzens

4.0 out of 5 stars A very useful addition to your library - it's different., 31 Aug. 2013
Published & available, only within the last few weeks, reviews were unavailable (I prefer to do my homework before a purchase) nevertheless, I decided to buy based on the concept - printed on the cover - and that the author & illustrator were 'known' to me. I'm glad I took the chance, it states it's aimed at the 'improver', and strives to demystify known confusion species. In that, it goes a long way in fulfilling that goal. The book has a good 'feel' to it. Buy with confidence. P.S It's a hardback & same size as the smaller 'black Collins'.

Owls of the World (Helm Identification Guides)
Owls of the World (Helm Identification Guides)
by Claus König

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, however . . . . ?, 25 Jun. 2013
I purchased this book, the first edition in 2006, the then publishers were Pica Press, inside the dust-cover was printed (not a label) the recommended price, £35. Mine was new, mint condition selling for £30. This edition the RRP is £50!
Yes, publishers Helm, do produce good guides, but this was not 'their baby'. Does a minor increase in information - 66 pages - warrant a 43% price increase?

UNFORGETTABLE VAUGHAN WILLIAMS
UNFORGETTABLE VAUGHAN WILLIAMS
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful., 16 Jun. 2013
I have a very catholic (small 'c') taste in music, and in my classical section Vaughan Williams reigns supreme. No other composer 'gets under my skin' - appeals to my soul like him, through my gamut of moods. So quintessentially British - it just is. (That is not a nationalistic, patriotic rally, merely an honest observation) This is an excellent collection/introduction to his many works.
Those with a discerning ear, will soon note many famous film scores, soundtracks, have more than a whiff of Vaughan Williams!
Buy with confidence - where's the 6* button!

Amplicomms Powertel M7000 GSM Sim Free Mobile Telephone - Silver
Amplicomms Powertel M7000 GSM Sim Free Mobile Telephone - Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars A point - for some - worth noting, NO PREDICTIVE TEXT., 26 May 2013
An excellent phone for those who do not crave technology at every instant. Those numbering, and increasing, in their millions, who require their less than hourly "fix" (hand-held heroin?) to satisfy their blinkered view of life, this is not for you! However, should - shock, horror - your requirement for a phone(?) be communication(?) a great choice. Merely be aware of the minor drawback, of no predictive text.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 10, 2014 11:22 AM BST

Bosch Toy Lawnmover with Sound
Bosch Toy Lawnmover with Sound

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the tall individual., 2 May 2013
Much smaller than I expected, arrived without a plug and lead - disappointed. Probably OK for a very small garden.

Quest Handheld Steam Cleaner, 1000 Watt
Quest Handheld Steam Cleaner, 1000 Watt

2.0 out of 5 stars Just how UNimpressed can one be???, 11 April 2013
I would not recommend this product. I read the manual, then embarked on a 'play', lets see what it will do? The answer was quick and self evident - very little!!! I am not going to go into a wordy review, it's just not worth the effort.
Suffice to say, it did slowly remove the butter from a plastic tub, impressive (?) Disappointment levels rising, it occured to me, just how hot is this 'steam'? Well, cautiously, progressively, I moved my hand into the jet of 'steam', I got to within 3" (that's three inches) of the nozzle, before it became too hot for my hand - and this is going to remove stubborn grime????
A fresh pot of tea, coupled to a vacuum cleaner on blow comes to mind? That's it, back to my 'steaming' mug of coffee.

Field Guide to the Birds of Britain and Europe (Aa Field Guide)
Field Guide to the Birds of Britain and Europe (Aa Field Guide)
by Paul Sterry

3.0 out of 5 stars It wouldn't be for me., 17 Feb. 2013
I actually saw this book as I was browsing in a bookshop, thumbed a few pages - photographs! Swiftly returned to the shelf; it is widely accepted (not 100% I agree) that drawings are the best, most reliable aid/route, to bird recognition. I subscribe to that most definitely.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5