Profile for Wyndham > Reviews

Wyndham

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
John Barry - The Collection - 40 Years of Film Music
John Barry - The Collection - 40 Years of Film Music

5.0 out of 5 stars An atmospheric trip through great moments on the silver screen - a WOW!, 2 Sep 2014
A wonderful compilation. I notice there are a few - inevitable - 'knockers', with their, "these are not the original recordings, blah, blah, blah." They are of course correct, however the juxtaposition of these recordings and the originals is too fine for my (I might add, not uneducated ears!) hearing. You would have to be a pedant, with the acoustical hearing of a bat, to make the claim one could tell the difference, and be 100% confident.
Go on . . . . buy and enjoy. It's an excellent compilation - at a great price.
P.S. I usually stick to the originals, because of the so obvious shallow quality - but not here. So?
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 12, 2014 9:56 PM BST

Buffalo Mens Special Six Shirt Nato Green 48
Buffalo Mens Special Six Shirt Nato Green 48
Price: £114.50 - £125.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars - and worth it!, 30 April 2014
An excellent foul-weather garment, it's quality, really.
To function 100%, it's meant to be close fitting, 'WITHOUT', being restrictive. So sizing, 'IS', important. Once over that minor hurdle - buy with confidence.
I'm on my 2nd, not that the first wore out . . its . . hey, that's another story??
Thinks . . . . . . why do they market it, as a 'shirt'? Odd.

Páramo Fuera Windproof Smock
Páramo Fuera Windproof Smock

5.0 out of 5 stars It fulfils its purpose . . . simple., 28 April 2014
Yep, bought it for a certain task, that being to provide lightweight, showerproof, windproof protection, and at a reasonable price (£43.99). Hey! It ticks all the boxes. It fascilitates due to its fit, the use of an insulating layer, to provide extra warmth if required. To elaborate further would seem superfluous?
One of the earlier reviewers commented on the hood stowage. Well, Paramo advises rolling the hood, then to combine the Velcro tab (located rear of hood) with the garment hanging loop. A reasonable design solution - but not perfect.

Páramo Velez Smock
Páramo Velez Smock
Price: £145.00 - £160.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A great jacket - really!, 22 April 2014
Paramo clothing, the brand has a very good name, and deservedly so, it's designed well, made well - and it works. Simple really. Whilst this jacket harks back to the original Paramo smock (detachable hood?) dated it's not, indeed read that as a thoroughly tested (tweaked?) design. Can I fault it? Possibly, if I'm very 'picky', but then that could be my personal foibles???
I am most satisfied with my purchase, of nearly a year.
The Amazon price £150-ish? If it could be bettered, I couldn't find it.

The Helm Guide to Bird Identification
The Helm Guide to Bird Identification
by Keith Vinicombe

4.0 out of 5 stars Yet another guide to 'confusion' species . . . . . ., 30 Mar 2014
The past nine months has seen a number of publications on confusion species - I have never known so many in such a short period. There would appear to be a niche in the market, that's being fulfilled, I won't say exploited, these books are too long in the gestation period.
This book? Once you turn the sickly (pale duck-egg) coloured cover, and flick inquisitively through its many pages, 396, you are immediately aware of a substantial mini-tome. When you linger on species, that you personally are very familiar with, you realise the depth of information it contains. This has not been hastily thrown together.
Thus far - I won't profess to have read every page - I have found accuracy, helpful 'pointers' in the quest to un-lock, and identify the bird in front of you . . that . . doesn't . . quite . . fit exactly, and could be . . ?
I am pleased with my purchase, I might add to this review in a few months, having put it to a sterner test.
Word to the publishers - the cover!!!! It 'dog-ears', the corner edges break up, so, so easily, and I respect books.

Country Innnovation Mens Ventile Kestrel Smock
Country Innnovation Mens Ventile Kestrel Smock
Offered by Country Innovation

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly excellent 'foul weather' gear., 7 Jan 2014
Bought this smock very soon after it came on the market - nearly ten years ago? I was impressed from 'day one', and continue to be so. My smock was of the earlier design, with no side zips, once I'm in it, I'm warm'n'dry, whatever the weather. It does not pack small, it is a substantial garment, but you won't find this level of protection from some 'easi-pac' fabric.
'Ventile', the main fabric has been around a long time, and sure there are issues - deficiencies, BUT, the fact that this fabric is still being produced after decades, often in armed forces garments, proves the pluses must outweigh the minuses.
This is a serious bit of kit, designed for seriously bad weather.

Paramo Halcon Traveller Jacket L Moss
Paramo Halcon Traveller Jacket L Moss
Offered by Hilltrek Outdoor Clothing

5.0 out of 5 stars Just look at the image of this jacket? (See my postscript update), 28 Dec 2013
Would have been happy to have rated this 5*s, however the sleeve length is ridiculous, unless of course you are an Orangutan. Other Paramo garments suit me fine-ish, but this . . . no. On reflection, the image says it all - well, doesn't it?
Whilst fitting me in the body, the sleeves left but a glimpse of a finger nail! (2*s)
I went to 'Country Innovation', and purchased their Falcon jacket.
P.S.
Some months have elapsed since my initial review - above.
My understanding is that now, the design team at Paramo, having received considerable negative feedback, on the sleeve length issue, have accepted the problem and rectified the matter. Good. Now, I CAN rate it 5*s. (May 2014)

The Pocket Guide to the Coastal Birds
The Pocket Guide to the Coastal Birds
by Hayman Peter

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent REALLY pocket sized guide., 23 Nov 2013
As my title suggests this guide will slip into the smallest of pockets, and it's crammed full of info. This guide has 2 siblings, Birdwatchers Pocket Guide to Britain & Europe, and, Pocket Guide to Birds of Prey. The former is readily available in hardback. For some strange reason these plastic cover protected, lighter publications, are like gold dust. Why . . . why . . . why???

The Crossley ID Guide: Britain and Ireland (The Crossley ID Guides)
The Crossley ID Guide: Britain and Ireland (The Crossley ID Guides)
by Dominic Couzens

4.0 out of 5 stars Tackling Bird ID differently - flouting convention., 22 Nov 2013
A somewhat revolutionary concept into bird ID. A radical change from the common format of bird guides, be it photographic or artwork. The author states the book should be seen as a 'workbook', the more you look - the more you see, the reader is greater employed with every plate. As another reviewer has stated, a beginner still requires a formal, conventional guide to accompany this publication. The same reviewer states also, it's the best attempt yet, at conveying the all-important 'jizz' of the bird, in that I fully concur. This book I gladly include in my guide book 'arsenal'.
A caveat.
This book relates to birds of Britain & Ireland (only), so why the American spelling of practice with an 'S' - 'practise'? Also, in the text on owls, I note faeces spelt 'feces' - yet more New World spelling. We then go to the plate on the Great Black Backed Gull, its killing of live prey e.g 'AMCO', which is ornithilogical shorthand for bird species, in this case the American Coot. Now dear authors & publishers, where is that relevant to British (Irish) birders? That's a nod to Uncle Sam too far!!*
Try as I may, the right-hand column of page 18 (in the introduction) where the subject of size is to be discussed, its whereabouts makes no sense. I quote, "inside the front cover . . ." Er??? Indeed, that first paragraph reminds me of a cuckoo chick?
Don't let my minor criticisms put you off, an otherwise fine book.

Stetson Burney Leather Newsboy Cap
Stetson Burney Leather Newsboy Cap
Price: £59.00 - £79.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A MIGHTY WOW! A fab 'titfa'., 21 Nov 2013
Fully concur with the other reviewers . . . . it's the canine's gonads!!! Very stylish, have no hesitation in recommending, love it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4