Profile for Earl Campbell > Reviews

Content by Earl Campbell

Earl Campbell (Berlin, Germany)

Cyber Tyvek Mighty Wallet Circuit Boards Chips - 8x10 cm
Cyber Tyvek Mighty Wallet Circuit Boards Chips - 8x10 cm
Offered by Uneek n' Kwik

5.0 out of 5 stars Great complement to a coin purse, 12 Sept. 2014
So far so good. I use in conjugation with a cloth coin wallet as this does not have a coin pouch. However, I prefer to have have my card and coins stored separately and so this works well for me.

The Well of Ascension: Mistborn Book Two
The Well of Ascension: Mistborn Book Two

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice balanced sequel with some twists, 5 May 2013
I enjoyed the Well of ascension, and thought it was a nice well-balanced sequel. Admittedly, it was a bit slow moving, especially compared to the first book. Much of the book revolves around the siege of the capital city, Luthadel, and the politics between the philosopher-king Elend Venture and various invading tyrant including his father. This aspect of the book reminded me a lot of the 2nd book from a song of fire and ice, and I keep picturing Venture senior as dopplerganger of Tywin Lanister. The drawn out siege and the inevitability of a climatic battle was a bit dull, and I also found this to be the case in a song of fire and ice.

But enough comparison and back to the positives. There are various side narratives in the book, that twist and turn just enough to keep you on your toes without seeming excessively frequent. Several times I had thought that I had "figured out" some incoming twist only to proven wrong. I also felt that the book excelled, especially compared to the first book, in its character portrayal and development. In the first book, I found some of the character a either wooden or like a caricature of a person. Perhaps controversially, I never liked the character of Kell, who died in the first book and so didn't annoy me here. For these reasons, I say the book is "well-balanced" as its main achievement is correcting failing in the first book, but it doesn't really excel the first book in energy.

if you enjoyed the first book, you should certainly read this.

The Final Empire: Mistborn Book One
The Final Empire: Mistborn Book One

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly original high magic fantasy with a brooding dark atmosphere., 21 April 2013
The Mistborn series was recommended to me by a friend, with the uniqueness of the magic system, called Allomancy, being at the core of his sales pitch. As I was promised, Allomancy was a very cool aspect of the book. So, unlike many reviewers here, I didn't pick up Mistborn to see if Sanderson is worthy of continuing the Wheel of Time series. I have actually read the first four Wheel of Time books, and then I stopped out of boredom! From what I've seen of Sanderson, I'd rate him above Jordan.

Mistborn is set in a fantasy world, though with a dark feel and a fairly unique mythology. The realm of man is divided into the noble aristocracy and the enslaved Skaa, and this is governed by a tyrannical, god-like Lord ruler. Ash falls like rain and every night a claustrophobic mist covered the lands. With this bizarre weather, evil social system and gothic architecture, Sanderson is successful in creating a moody atmosphere that I enjoyed.

The main two protagonists are the young girl Vin and an older man Kelsier, who we meet fairly earlier in the book. Kelsier is top dog in a thieving gang who discover and recruit Vin, and then set off on Kelsier's most ambitious job ever! The relationship between Kelsier and Vin, of tutor and protege, is exploited as a plot device to teach us about the world and the mechanics of how magic works. Many members of the thieving gang are all specialists of some form of magic, with roles like "the Thug" or "the Smoker". Along with Kelsier's jovial happy-go-lucky vibe, this gives the books a bit of a heist-film feel, think Ocean's Eleven, which I felt jarred against other aspects of the book. Fortunately, the heist angle dies off through the book and Sanderson endeavours to make Kelsier seem less one-dimensional as the book progresses. However, I'm never really find Kelsier to be an engaging or believeable character. This, and the weird heist feel, are my main reasons for dishing out 4 stars instead of 5. In contrast, Vin is a develops wonderfully and really holds the book together, both in terms of plot and the readers feeling of emotional investment.

As I remarked at the start, the magic in the book is brilliant and original. There are other supernatural forces at work that I won't mention at all, except to say that Sanderson doesn't rely on many of the standard fantasy tropes. This is very much to my taste as I really dislike when fantasy or sci-fi books just recycle old ideas. Although I was not totally blown away by this book, I would certainly recommend it to fans of genre fiction and plan on finishing the series myself.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 22, 2013 9:47 PM BST